Sponsored by:

Rear wheel sprocket bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:31 AM
ghoulardo
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear wheel sprocket bearing

Just ordered the Jim’s bearing tool. I was looking at the rear belt sprocket and was wondering if I can use the tool to remove and install the new bearing in it? Looks like there is a permanent spacer in it.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

Interested in this answer also.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:19 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoulardo
Just ordered the Jim’s bearing tool. I was looking at the rear belt sprocket and was wondering if I can use the tool to remove and install the new bearing in it? Looks like there is a permanent spacer in it.
There are two bearings back to back in it. I have the Pit Posse bearing tool, which I believe is essentially the same as the Jim's, and it removes and installs those bearings easily. There is no spacer between the bearings so you just seat one directly on top of the other.

The following users liked this post:
ghoulardo (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:44 AM
ghoulardo
Advanced

Now that I have looked at it more closely, I see the two bearings on top of each other. My tool should arrive today. Going to give it a shot. Thanks

Pix (10-17-2020)
Old 12-15-2018, 07:29 AM
ghoulardo
Advanced

Was able to pull the bearings from the sprocket with the Jim’s tool, but had to use one of those bearings installers with the flat disks and handles to install the new ones in the sprocket as the threaded rod of the install tool has a unthreaded shoulder that makes it impossible to use it to install the sprocket bearings.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:59 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,573 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoulardo
Was able to pull the bearings from the sprocket with the Jim’s tool, but had to use one of those bearings installers with the flat disks and handles to install the new ones in the sprocket as the threaded rod of the install tool has a unthreaded shoulder that makes it impossible to use it to install the sprocket bearings.
I have the eBay install tool and removed the sprocket bearings with it. After my wheels and pulley were powder coated, I used the installer disk and tapped them in. I took my dremel with a sanding barrel to the inside of the pulley bearing surface first. Tight fit but they went in without an issue. Probably could have put the bearings in the freezer for a while first to aid in the install.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Some Brands of Tools have a "Receiving Cup" (Bridge) that are out on the edge (or slightly larger) than the Machined flat Area (silver).

Did the tool leave any marks in the Black area?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 12-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,573 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Some of the Tools have a "Receiving Cup" (Bridge) that are out on the edge (or slightly larger) than the Machined flat Area (silver).

Did the tool leave any marks in the Black area?

Mine did not. Are you worried about looks or damage. I assume you're talking about the part that has the forks/legs. Put some duct tape on the bottom of the legs. I was originally worried about it but then was like, nobody is ever going to see it if it makes a mark. Don't overthink it.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,836 Posts

yeah, I got that ... I was just asking out of curiosity

And yes ghoulardo, use your "Installers" to eliminate the unthreaded portion

Btw, here's how you "pull in" your bearings without Tapping ... (using the 3/4" Installer in the "Receiving Cup" helps)
A
lthough "driving in" the bearings "works" for this application ...

Last edited by multihdrdr; 12-15-2018 at 09:25 AM.
BrandonSmith (12-04-2023)
Old 12-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 227 Posts
Default What a coincidence

I am exactly doing this job right now. I was able to remove the top bearing, but the second or bottom bearing is so low that my George's tool is at it's max. The flat spot on the shaft is not visible. I did notice just before I quit, that the bottom of the expander has a 5/16 hex socket. So tomorrow, I was thinking that I could hold the expander using an allen wrench, and remove the second bearing. I will try this tomorrow.

I was reluctant to set the removal tool on the sprocket, so i took an old brake disc and set it on top of the sprocket. That is probably why my tool is just too short.
Does this make any sense? .

Quick Reply: Rear wheel sprocket bearing