2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Me too - because I am really thinking about getting one for touring next year. I think the shorter tinted 15" one will look better, but the 19" clear one might be the better bet for what I want.

They say the new ones have a recurved tip - and I really want to know whether there is buffeting or not.

In other words, I want my dealer to lend me both screens so I can do some proper testing. But they don't have any yet...
I put a 15" on mine last week, then tried it out on a 200 mile ride over the weekend. I'm 5'8", and the slipstream from the curved lip of the windshield hit right at the crown of my helmet. Ir you're taller, you might want to consider the 19" one. For a small shield it does a great job of keeping the wind off your chest. An hour ride at highway speed (75 mph in my case) without the shield put a strain on my arms. No issues with this windshield installed. My humble opinion is the smaller shield looks right on this bike. Gas mileage took a small hit - from 47MPG bare to 44mpg with the windshield. Also be aware that while it is removable, it's not mounted with quick change clamps as my Dyna shield was. This is mounted like the old Dyna convertibles - mounting points "permanently" affixed to the upper fork legs, then the shield screwed into those points. About a 5 minute job to mount or dismount. Overall i'm pleased with the purchase.

The following 3 users liked this post by fdh161:
adm (10-31-2017), FatBob2018 (11-23-2017), Kendoji (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:17 PM
fdh161
Supporter

ADM, what's the inside diameter of the baffle on the S&S pipes (and the "db reducer, too)? I think the biggest restriction to more sound from the Street Cannons is the baffle is only 1-1/4". That really limits the possibilities.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by fdh161
I put a 15" on mine last week, then tried it out on a 200 mile ride over the weekend. I'm 5'8", and the slipstream from the curved lip of the windshield hit right at the crown of my helmet. Ir you're taller, you might want to consider the 19" one. For a small shield it does a great job of keeping the wind off your chest. An hour ride at highway speed (75 mph in my case) without the shield put a strain on my arms. No issues with this windshield installed. My humble opinion is the smaller shield looks right on this bike. Gas mileage took a small hit - from 47MPG bare to 44mpg with the windshield. Also be aware that while it is removable, it's not mounted with quick change clamps as my Dyna shield was. This is mounted like the old Dyna convertibles - mounting points "permanently" affixed to the upper fork legs, then the shield screwed into those points. About a 5 minute job to mount or dismount. Overall i'm pleased with the purchase.
Thanks for that. I am 5' 8" myself - so it looks like the 15" windshield might be just right for me! I much prefer the look of it and the tint to the clear 19" version.

Did you get any buffeting at all or was it pretty much clear air behind the shield? Last Street Glide i rode with a stock shield, the buffeting was so bad that I could hardly see!

I read the mounting instructions and saw that you have to remove the headlight nacelle and attach band clamps to the upper fork legs and the mounting points are attached to those. But I didn't realise it wasn't quick release. Still - 5 minutes with a wrench still works for me.

I am also considering the National Cycle "deflector screen DX" as another small windshield option. Not really sure if the mounting system will work as it's for 1.25" bars and the Fat Bob bars taper from around 1.5" downwards....

Old 10-31-2017, 01:41 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fdh161
ADM, what's the inside diameter of the baffle on the S&S pipes (and the "db reducer, too)? I think the biggest restriction to more sound from the Street Cannons is the baffle is only 1-1/4". That really limits the possibilities.
Good question (grabs micrometer and heads to garage....)

It's 2.5" internal diameter on each muffler baffle, and reduces to just over 1.6" with the dB reducers

Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Bike looks great Adm. The black slip ons are better looking for sure.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:07 PM
Kendoji
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So neither of the optional windscreens are quick release? If so, that’s pretty disappointing. I’d love to be able to whip them on and off at will.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:31 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

It looks like they are "not really particularly quick release".

Looks like a rubber/plastic bushing with a channel in it is attached to the fork tube by the band clamps. Then the windshield mounts slide over that and get clamped down by a Torx head bolt and a flat washer.

Have a look here: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....0?locale=en_US

So you'll need to carry the correct Torx driver if you want to take it on and off at will.....

Hmm....might look a bit more at that National Cycle windshield. It's almost cheap enough to be an experimental purchase in case I need to trim it a bit....

Old 10-31-2017, 08:21 PM
david.howard.05@gmail.com
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S Slip ons

[QUOTE=adm;16785271]I rode the bike for about 90 minutes today and in conclusion, it sounds much better than stock - a proper Harley noise. It burbles along nicely when idling and at low RPM, but has a nice beefy and sassy note. Then it makes lots of noise when you crack it wide open! It's actually pretty loud. Not stupid obnoxious loud, but loud nonetheless.

I also like the look of the black mufflers better than the brushed silver. I may get the headers and gold heat shields ceramic coated black over the winter. Or maybe not.

The butt dyno does notice improved performance. Not huge, but noticeable. I guess that means the stock air filter element can flow plenty air. Not sure if I will need a K&N one or not.

I also did a couple of Powervision Autotune runs to dial in the VEs a bit. So I guess my Stage 1 is now done! I will do some more autotuning over the coming days.

I'm pretty happy with that. Will try and get my lovely wife to help me make some drive by sound videos at the weekend.

Then, I added a swingarm bag so I have somewhere to store some bits and pieces. It's only small, so I may also buy one of the Ends Cuoio bags as well for longer day trips.

[/QUOT

I got mine today too and installed them. They are awesome! A vast improvement over the stock sound. A lot more bass, enough to nearly drown out the whistle of the motor especially with the dB reducer taken out.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 PM
fdh161
Supporter

Originally Posted by adm
Thanks for that. I am 5' 8" myself - so it looks like the 15" windshield might be just right for me! I much prefer the look of it and the tint to the clear 19" version.

Did you get any buffeting at all or was it pretty much clear air behind the shield? Last Street Glide i rode with a stock shield, the buffeting was so bad that I could hardly see!

I read the mounting instructions and saw that you have to remove the headlight nacelle and attach band clamps to the upper fork legs and the mounting points are attached to those. But I didn't realise it wasn't quick release. Still - 5 minutes with a wrench still works for me.

I am also considering the National Cycle "deflector screen DX" as another small windshield option. Not really sure if the mounting system will work as it's for 1.25" bars and the Fat Bob bars taper from around 1.5" downwards....
There is some buffeting but it’s very managable. I didn’t feel any neck discomfort after a three hour ride like you expect if your head was getting bounced around. I took the visor off my helmet for the last hour, which calmed it even more if that makes sense.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:39 AM
fdh161
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kendoji
So neither of the optional windscreens are quick release? If so, that’s pretty disappointing. I’d love to be able to whip them on and off at will.
Good point. I timed myself this morning to get an idea of the actual time required. With trusty T27 Torx in hand, and without hurrying, time to remove the windshield was 38 seconds. Time to install and snug down was 47 seconds. Not quite as fast as the quick release shields but I can certainly live with it.

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....