2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:24 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like he liked it. Man it's pricey... What isn't, right?

Old 10-14-2018, 07:56 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
I kind of like those....and they lock. Can I get more info on how you mounted it? Did you just use a standard TP rack from HD? Cheaper than the Harley offering and they look nice. I'd love to hear more from you.

Glad I posted here. My dealer actually has one in stock and I was about to pull the trigger....
I have a holdfast sissy bar with backrest and just added this H-D luggage rack: Sport Luggage Rack for HoldFast Sissy Bar Upright - Gloss Black Part Number 50300125

The LeatherPros Tour Bag mounts to this rack with no problem. The LeatherPros Saddlebags mount to the same mounting system the OEM bags using LP's quick connect system. Makes removing and re-installing the SB's very easy.

The LP bags have keyed locks but can jus use the quick snap straps when locking is not needed.

visit: https://leatherpros.com/

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-14-2018 at 08:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sped (10-14-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Hi-perf old poop
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey sped, I have the H-D tour pack on my Heritage 114. the pros - looks very good on the bike even with the LP bags I use and it is larger than the LP tour pack. When 2 up you need all the room you can get on this bike. The cons - Yes it should not cost what it does but this H-D and if we didn't buy what is over priced from them we would not even buy a bike from them. The vinyl wraps over into pack and yes did not stick good in a couple of places but I was able to fix this with contact cement. Check tightness of backrest screws. Over all this has worked very good for me and my wife. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
sped (10-15-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:31 AM
LateBloomer67
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Time for a Stage 1, considering exhaust options

Just looked up at my avatar and realized it's out of date. I started riding for the first time in my life in March of this year after getting licensed in December, finally fulfilling a lifelong dream. I rode a Forty Eight Special for a couple of months (which I bought under the Freedom to Ride promotion), but things fell into place nicely for me to upgrade early, so I traded it in on a 2018 Heritage 107 in Silver Fortune in mid-May. Since then, I've put nearly 8,000 miles on it. During that time, I've definitely concluded that I want a little more bark from my exhaust.

I am trying to do this in a way that still affords the greatest chance of preserving my warranty (I have read probably everything there is to read on this topic and had repeated conversations with the folks at my dealer, so no need to revisit it in responses). To that end, I plan to use the H-D Pro Street Tuner and the H-D Ventilator air cleaner. So, the only remaining decision is the exhaust. What I am looking for is something louder, but not excessively so (partly because I routinely visit localities that at least declare a local ordinance against loud pipes, partly because I occasionally suffer bouts of hyperacusis). I currently live in an apartment with an attached and enclosed concrete parking structure, which always makes the bike sound loud when I first start it, but the 'angry sewing machine' tends to take over out on the road.

Based on what I've researched so far, I have three options that seem to be my favorites: Rinehart 3-1/2" slipons, Vance & Hines 3" round twin-slash slipons, and the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe. I have heard none of these in person on a Softail with a M8 engine; I have watched a handful of videos on the Rineharts (comparisons to stock). I have not yet had the warranty talk with my dealer about the full-system Pro Pipe (planning to do that later today). I have yet to even see a photo of a 2018 Heritage with the Pro Pipe installed, but I think the Heritage calls for a longer pipe if I go the 2-into-1 route (I don't like the look of the 2BR systems on the Heritage). I am leaning a bit more heavily to the slipons for another reason: if it turns out that new slipons are just to loud for me (especially if my hyperacusis flares up), it seems likely to be easier for me to sell them and switch to SE rather than the other way around.

If anyone has had occasions to compare any or all of these options, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67
Just looked up at my avatar and realized it's out of date. I started riding for the first time in my life in March of this year after getting licensed in December, finally fulfilling a lifelong dream. I rode a Forty Eight Special for a couple of months (which I bought under the Freedom to Ride promotion), but things fell into place nicely for me to upgrade early, so I traded it in on a 2018 Heritage 107 in Silver Fortune in mid-May. Since then, I've put nearly 8,000 miles on it. During that time, I've definitely concluded that I want a little more bark from my exhaust.

I am trying to do this in a way that still affords the greatest chance of preserving my warranty (I have read probably everything there is to read on this topic and had repeated conversations with the folks at my dealer, so no need to revisit it in responses). To that end, I plan to use the H-D Pro Street Tuner and the H-D Ventilator air cleaner. So, the only remaining decision is the exhaust. What I am looking for is something louder, but not excessively so (partly because I routinely visit localities that at least declare a local ordinance against loud pipes, partly because I occasionally suffer bouts of hyperacusis). I currently live in an apartment with an attached and enclosed concrete parking structure, which always makes the bike sound loud when I first start it, but the 'angry sewing machine' tends to take over out on the road.

Based on what I've researched so far, I have three options that seem to be my favorites: Rinehart 3-1/2" slipons, Vance & Hines 3" round twin-slash slipons, and the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe. I have heard none of these in person on a Softail with a M8 engine; I have watched a handful of videos on the Rineharts (comparisons to stock). I have not yet had the warranty talk with my dealer about the full-system Pro Pipe (planning to do that later today). I have yet to even see a photo of a 2018 Heritage with the Pro Pipe installed, but I think the Heritage calls for a longer pipe if I go the 2-into-1 route (I don't like the look of the 2BR systems on the Heritage). I am leaning a bit more heavily to the slipons for another reason: if it turns out that new slipons are just to loud for me (especially if my hyperacusis flares up), it seems likely to be easier for me to sell them and switch to SE rather than the other way around.

If anyone has had occasions to compare any or all of these options, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
I bought and installed the Street Cannons but they are not much different than stock. I'm getting ready to replace them with the V&H Eliminator 300's. Just got them delivered the other day but probably will not install them for another week as I am waiting for new rims and I'm going to do everything at once. I may re-tune using the SE Tuner but we'll see how it is using the standard stage 1 map that's already installed.

I'll post sound video ... but if you search YouTube there are already a few videos out there.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM
LateBloomer67
Advanced

I actually have heard the Eliminators on an '18 Heritage - one of the only aftermarket exhausts I've heard in person. One of the service department guys at my dealer has them. I just found I liked the look of the twin-slash better. I have no idea how they compare sound-wise with one another.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:27 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
I've looked at those. Nice. Issue is that I was looking for some place to lock up my helmet. Maybe I should start exploring helmet locks of some type. Any suggestions?
Here's an option...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBUIHWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBUIHWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67

the Pro Pipe is an awesome, deep sounding pipe. Not particularly quiet, and not sure how it’s chunky look will compliment the Heritage, but post warranty I may be very tempted to go that route. The other pipes you mentioned all sound good, but it’s very subjective. I’d add the Cobra Neighbor Haters to your list. Despite the name I’ve found them to be a nice balance of deep and meaty while not overly loud or sharp. Perfect for cruise or touring. Worth a listen. I’d rate them slightly mellower than Rineharts to my ears.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thingfish:
LateBloomer67 (10-18-2018), Rebel420 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:33 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Most Softail models have the catalytic converter in the mufflers. That means changing the mufflers will almost certainly result in defeating the EPA emissions control system. Theoretically, Harley could deny warranty coverage on a bike that has defeated the emissions control system (read the warranty in your owner's manual).

Now, I don't know if they WILL, I am just saying that they definitely have reserved the right to. If you are concerned about the warranty, I would highly suggest you shop for an EPA-compliant muffler system, as that will almost certainly be warranty-friendly.

It's not always easy to find something like that, but here's a big clue: if the muffler order page says something like "For Competition Use Only - Not Legal On Any Emissions Controlled Vehicle" or "For Off-road Use Only", they're telling you that they're not EPA-compliant.

S&S is an example of a company that makes mufflers with catalytic converters that are EPA-compliant. Not all of their products are, but some are. Seems like most other companies just don't at all.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 10-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 PM
LateBloomer67
Advanced

The only 50-state-compliant, cat-equipped mufflers currently available for an FLHC/FLHCS are the H-D Street Cannons. S&S's web site shows two offerings for those bikes, neither with cats.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread