2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 PM
JimmyKitt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Slip-on Questions...

I'm a proud 2018 FLHCS owner. I still have the bike in stock format, and am ready for an exhast upgrade. I'm well aware of the warranty implications. I'm pretty settled on the V&H Slash Cut Slipons. I have a few questions about them vs. Rinehart slipons. Rineharts' website explains that a tune isn't necessary after installation. Do V&H slipons require a tune? I do have the HD Street Tuner, but have read plenty about its limitations (perhaps uselessness?) Will the Street Tuner at least allow a proper fuel/air ratio for the V&H slipons? I'd prefer not to take my bike to my local delaership for a dyno, since they have a pretty firm stance on slipons voiding warranty (which I plan to extend two years come April). Furthermore, I understand the V&H slipons have an option of quiet or competition baffles. My question is, what baffle is installed with the purchased slipon? Something in between quiet and competition? I know I threw a bunch of questions in there. Any information is greatly and humbly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:52 AM
TheJoker78
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got my new wheels installed today 21" 3.5 upfront and 16" rear.

She feels more planted then before which is why I decided to go down this route. Originally I was just going to get the classic spoke 21" but was having an issue with it being in stock. So I decided to go for the 52 Spoke mammoth DNAs.

Also have a 1" front drop kit for the front fork in-case I wanted to drop the front.

The front has risen a total of 1" but I dont really feel it when riding, however I noticed it when placing her on the jiffy stand as i dont need to tilt her slightly to the right. Plus she lays more better on the stand now then she did stock.

Still deciding if i should keep the V&Hs 300s or replace them now with the new look.

The following users liked this post:
not_so_newb (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 10:56 AM
TheJoker78
Tourer

Originally Posted by kainvamp
Picked up this 2018 Heritage 114 with 1100 miles on it a few weeks ago. I put a bout 800 since I got it, and am really enjoying it. Decided to strip it down this morning just to see what it was like.
Congratulations on the purchase she is a beauty 🤩

You will enjoy her more on the long rides....

Old 03-08-2020, 11:07 AM
TheJoker78
Tourer

Here is a before & after.

The one thing I will do that's on my list is the front big rotors brake and new brake pads front and rear. As I didnt like the stock brake pads and looking which ones to get.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheJoker78:
CB5150 (12-22-2022), not_so_newb (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 PM
MoBillyAla
Tourer

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts

I too, want to switch out to a 21" on the front. Was curious if there would be any required suspension mods. It looks great, I'm planning on staying with the OEM classic spoke like you originally planned to do . I have the 21" on my Sportster and love the look of the big tire, but not obnoxious like some of the "Big Wheels" Thanks for the pics and info.

TheJoker78 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 12:43 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I had my 128" installed a few weekends back. This weekend had a long 500 mile ride to break in, including 300 miles of expressway and 200 miles of mountain roads. I have a Reckless fairing and previously installed JES fork deflectors to try and limit buffeting. I then added a 2" tank lift and placed a small tool bag under the running lights (plenty of clearance and not rubbing the fender).

The 128' is great in the mountains. Can keep in 2nd and just power through corners without needing to down shift. On the expressway, plenty of HP to pass. I kept it under 90 mph during break in. I did have a mild tank slapper wobble that kicked in at 85. Every time I accelerate to 85, wobble. But if kept on through to 90, would disappear. So at end of first day, removed the JES wind deflectors. On the last leg back going around 85-90, no wobble. So I can say for me, the JES deflectors caused a wobble for me. Also, the placement of tool bag and 2' tank lift eliminated the wind that was coming up under the fairing. I have very little buffeting. But the 3/4 LS2 helmet I was wearing is LOUD, even with ear plugs.

I went out and ordered a new HJC I90 (I used to have a Symax but they no longer make them). The new I90s claim to be much quieter so I hope this works out.

Very happy now that I have eliminated my buffeting and wobble. Next need to drain oil for post break in.

TheJoker78 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 04:15 AM
TheJoker78
Tourer

Originally Posted by MoBillyAla
I too, want to switch out to a 21" on the front. Was curious if there would be any required suspension mods. It looks great, I'm planning on staying with the OEM classic spoke like you originally planned to do . I have the 21" on my Sportster and love the look of the big tire, but not obnoxious like some of the "Big Wheels" Thanks for the pics and info.
Thanks...

I agree, im not into massive big wheels and 21" was the maximum I would go on a softail. If you look at the pictures of before and after focus on the ride floor boards, you will see the difference. So I got all the measurements before and after so I can drop the exact amount to stock measurements if I want too, not going to guess how much I should drop it.

Now I'm just in the process of looking to get the Arleness big rotor front done for that added brake performance and also looking to change out the brake pads both front and rear.

I hate the squeaky noisy from the back stock pads that's on all new softails and it drives me nuts, so I want the pads out and so confused on which pads to go for.

MoBillyAla (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 04:26 AM
TheJoker78
Tourer

Originally Posted by DonN
I had my 128" installed a few weekends back. This weekend had a long 500 mile ride to break in, including 300 miles of expressway and 200 miles of mountain roads. I have a Reckless fairing and previously installed JES fork deflectors to try and limit buffeting. I then added a 2" tank lift and placed a small tool bag under the running lights (plenty of clearance and not rubbing the fender).

The 128' is great in the mountains. Can keep in 2nd and just power through corners without needing to down shift. On the expressway, plenty of HP to pass. I kept it under 90 mph during break in. I did have a mild tank slapper wobble that kicked in at 85. Every time I accelerate to 85, wobble. But if kept on through to 90, would disappear. So at end of first day, removed the JES wind deflectors. On the last leg back going around 85-90, no wobble. So I can say for me, the JES deflectors caused a wobble for me. Also, the placement of tool bag and 2' tank lift eliminated the wind that was coming up under the fairing. I have very little buffeting. But the 3/4 LS2 helmet I was wearing is LOUD, even with ear plugs.

I went out and ordered a new HJC I90 (I used to have a Symax but they no longer make them). The new I90s claim to be much quieter so I hope this works out.

Very happy now that I have eliminated my buffeting and wobble. Next need to drain oil for post break in.
Is the 128 kit the S&S? Or Harely?

I got an offer on the HD - Screaming Eagle 117 Stage 4 kit for the heritage that I am still on the fence about. At first I was looking at the stage 2 torque cams, then got asked why dont you go for the stage 4 all in. Then HD goes and drops the 131 kit 😂 it's a never ending story with performance upgrades. So for now I'm back to square one, and just reading as much feedback on others who have done all stage upgrades and then decide.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Josh2021
Tourer
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN

We need pictures, lots of pictures..Unless I missed them somewhere?

Old 03-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Reverend DG
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From everything I've read over the past couple years, the Stage 3 on a 114 is the best bang for buck. I did a Stage 2 torque cam and am fine with it, but I did that before there was a lot of research and experience out there (my bike is an 18) but now people seem to think Stage 3 is the sweet spot for the 114.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread