Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1218899-the-everything-2018-heritage-thread.html)

WarHorse15 02-15-2018 06:53 PM

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

1 Attachment(s)
I need this thread in my life lol!

Softails encompass such a wide range of bikes I wanted to narrow it down a bit. Maybe like the other 1 style bike threads, so those of us who have the 2018+ Heritage can see parts and get advice and opinions from other heritage owners.

I just purchased mine on Saturday after test riding it three separate times, I can say wow! What a bike. I am actually coming into this one after getting rid of my Street Glide Special, although very different bikes, this one felt much easier to move around and much more powerful! I look forward to seeing everyone else's bikes and learning as much as I can with you guys!

uklauren 02-15-2018 09:15 PM

I'll get some new pics this weekend. Got over 6000 miles on mine so far.

WarHorse15 02-15-2018 10:41 PM

Installing Custom Dynamic LEDs at all four corners, I will post Pics soon as well as any problems incurred.

WarHorse15 02-15-2018 11:21 PM

Also here is a running list of the add-ons I am looking at. They will have the part #s, price @ Harley Vs price at Boardtracker.com.
Keep in mind that the Harley prices are not listed with tax or shipping and I believe Boardtracker is no tax and $6 bucks to ship over $100.
Hope this helps someone out!

Saddle Bag Travel Packs/ PN#93300107/ $59.95 H-D/ $49.00 BoardTracker
Tour Pack/ PN# 53000598/ $649.00/ $536.00
Tour Pack Mount (Black)/ PN#50300188/ $199.95/ $165.00
Docking Hardware (Black)/ PN#52300379/ $49.95/ $41.00
Snap-On Tool Roll/ PN#94684-00A/ $219.00/ $181.00
Layback LED Tail Lamp/ PN#67800355/ $159.95/ $132.00
HoldFast Locking Latch (Black)/ PN#52300514/ $54.95/ $45.00

Thingfish 02-16-2018 01:12 AM

Congrats. Took me three test rides too! Lol. Traded my Road King with zero regrets.

Lauren’s winning..I’ve only got 5,500 on mine so far. Aside from the stage 2 I’ve been too busy riding to mod it really..plus it’s so good as is...fits me perfectly. Enjoy it.

WarHorse15 02-16-2018 01:56 AM

Damn, I got some catching up to do! I agree about the fit, I'm 5 foot 9 and this has got to be the best fitting stock bike I have ever owned!

Tinker55 02-16-2018 02:49 AM

Subscribed; I'm getting mine probably mid March (can't wait...)

Another Old Timer 02-16-2018 07:40 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...812fca4854.jpg
Bought mine sight unseen after one test ride on a 114 Fat Bob.

Couldn't be happier.

mongomark 02-16-2018 08:53 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...9d4c91ac7b.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...1f1aa62424.jpg
This by far is the best bike I've owned. My previous ride was an 07 Street Glide. It was modified with an RB Racing pipe, SE204 cams and a heavy breather filter. The suspension had race tech fork internals, Ohlin 13.25" rear shocks, a bagger frame brace and a custom made fork brace (the cow bells had to come off the forks). From a handling standpoint, this bike severely spanks my previous ride and this one's bone stock. The 114 is deceptively fast. I'm waiting for Bassani to release their Road Rage 2 into 1 pipe so the Granny from Pasadena will hear me when I'm next to her and she'll be less likely to make me her door ornament. I've only got 750 miles on this one (I had 96k miles on the Street Glide) and I'm looking forward to many more. The potential on this bike is amazing. I'm not missing the tour platform at all on this ride. Congratulations brother on your new ride!

WarHorse15 02-16-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer (Post 17096146)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...812fca4854.jpg
Bought mine sight unseen after one test ride on a 114 Fat Bob.

Couldn't be happier.

Are those fangs attached to your forks? How do you like them? Wanted a set for long trips but need to find them in black.

WarHorse15 02-16-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mongomark (Post 17096341)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...9d4c91ac7b.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...1f1aa62424.jpg
This by far is the best bike I've owned. My previous ride was an 07 Street Glide. It was modified with an RB Racing pipe, SE204 cams and a heavy breather filter. The suspension had race tech fork internals, Ohlin 13.25" rear shocks, a bagger frame brace and a custom made fork brace (the cow bells had to come off the forks). From a handling standpoint, this bike severely spanks my previous ride and this one's bone stock. The 114 is deceptively fast. I'm waiting for Bassani to release their Road Rage 2 into 1 pipe so the Granny from Pasadena will hear me when I'm next to her and she'll be less likely to make me her door ornament. I've only got 750 miles on this one (I had 96k miles on the Street Glide) and I'm looking forward to many more. The potential on this bike is amazing. I'm not missing the tour platform at all on this ride. Congratulations brother on your new ride!

Damn that color combo is stunning! I probably would have pulled the trigger on that Anniversary bike but there was none in stock on the day I decided to buy!

Gorgeous Bike!

rcpbob 02-16-2018 01:30 PM

'18 flhc

6 Attachment(s)
Great idea WarHorse, all things '18 Softail Heritage.
Here's mine 1. short H-D passenger backrest 2. Rifle 22" clear shield that's +3" wider than stock 3. H-D "fangs" that were on my old FLSTC 4. Rush Racing 3" slip-ons w/2 1/4" baffles. 5. Custom Dymanics LED tag frame/lay down plate mount and RTB turn signals. 6. Kuryakyn LED laydown tail light 7. H-D black mustache engine guard
On the wish list V&H FP3 Bluetooth and S&S air cleaner. Only 700 miles so far .
All I can say, even with "only" the 107, the motor is very strong and smooth. First rate ride and handling . Harley, once you get over the "new age" style, you hit this one out of the park !
By the way, great lookin' bikes everyone. Ride On ! Bob

Another Old Timer 02-16-2018 02:15 PM

The Fangs on my Heritage are off of my '14 Road King. Required drilling new holes to fit.

I want some Black ones also................I think. The Chrome looks good with the Black.

jeg1 02-16-2018 02:18 PM

You all make me jealous, mine has been sitting ln the garage since December and probably will not get to ride it until April. No test ride, purchased after sitting on one in showroom. Comming from 16 RoadGlide.

WarHorse15 02-16-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by rcpbob (Post 17097168)
Great idea WarHorse, all things '18 Softail Heritage.
Here's mine 1. short H-D passenger backrest 2. Rifle 22" clear shield that's +3" wider than stock 3. H-D "fangs" that were on my old FLSTC 4. Rush Racing 3" slip-ons w/2 1/4" baffles. 5. Custom Dymanics LED tag frame/lay down plate mount and RTB turn signals. 6. Kuryakyn LED laydown tail light 7. H-D black mustache engine guard
On the wish list V&H FP3 Bluetooth and S&S air cleaner. Only 700 miles so far .
All I can say, even with "only" the 107, the motor is very strong and smooth. First rate ride and handling . Harley, once you get over the "new age" style, you hit this one out of the park !
By the way, great lookin' bikes everyone. Ride On ! Bob

Oh, that's nice!!!!!!!:icon_drool:
Nothing at all bad about the 107! If my dealer had one in Vivid Black I may have pulled the trigger and saved myself some scratch!

T^2 02-16-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by WarHorse15 (Post 17096891)
Are those fangs attached to your forks? How do you like them? Wanted a set for long trips but need to find them in black.

You can find black fangs here...

http://www.jescustomaccents.com/2018...3plqscsfapp003

FrankEV 02-16-2018 03:41 PM

I'm Jealous

[QUOTE=Another Old Timer;17096146]https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...812fca4854.jpg

I'm jealous, not of your bike, but of your garage and your bike lift. I love my Heritage.
However, I live in Florida with only a carport for my Vehicles. My Heritage has to share space with two cars. Tight fit. Did install a wheel chock to make it easier to work on the bike.
If I did not have to move again, I'd look for a home with a gatrage, a big garage. But....bought the house first then the bike.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...977a774798.jpgYes I even keep it locked up with a cable.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...78c97bc643.jpg

FrankEV 02-16-2018 04:00 PM

Fangs

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer (Post 17097282)
The Fangs on my Heritage are off of my '14 Road King. Required drilling new holes to fit.
I want some Black ones also................I think. The Chrome looks good with the Black.

I think if you go all black then black fangs would be great. However, on any of the Heritage's with a paint color other than black, in my opinion the chrome Fangs look more appropriate. They add just a nice balance of chrome to the
black out parts in keeping with the chrome parts on the front of the bike. Here is my bad "Cherry".

.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...7eb8d8bb1c.jpg

T^2 02-16-2018 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by FrankEV (Post 17097552)
I think if you go all black then black fangs would be great. However, on any of the Heritage's with a paint color other than black, in my opinion the chrome Fangs look more appropriate. They add just a nice balance of chrome to the
black out parts in keeping with the chrome parts on the front of the bike. Here is my bad "Cherry".

.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...7eb8d8bb1c.jpg

Ya... It might be a hard choice... But in general I agree. I like a little chrome with the black to give it pop/contrast. The chrome ones look good on your bike... And those that say the fangs are ugly... I don't get it. I think they look right at home with the windshield in place. If you take the windshield off to ride naked then the fangs would have to come off too (or they create their own buffeting problems - when used without the windshield - I hear).

uklauren 02-16-2018 05:18 PM

I've mixed chrome and black too, I have the black engine guard with chrome highway pegs, the chrome sissy bar (the slightly longer one) and chrome luggage rack, chrome shifter linkage and a chrome shifter pedal on the black shifter. At some point I'll change out my grips, probably something with chrome. I have black clutch and brake levers. I like how the chrome and black are interchangeable.

Not looking for slipons yet, I'm actually enjoying the quieter sound from the pipes and can hear my music.

WarHorse15 02-16-2018 06:41 PM

Love the pics, everyone!

I started the thread because I got tired of searching the Softail threads for anything specific to the new Heritage. Now I can come to the Forums and find all my fellow Heritage Riders in one place!

The dealer I purchased from says he thinks the new Heritage is going to become the new "Street Glide" popularity wise. Not sure how you guys feel about it but as an ex-Street Glide rider I am nothing but happy with my decision to 'Downsize". Ride safe!

FrankEV 02-17-2018 04:17 AM

Exhaust Sound

Originally Posted by uklauren (Post 17097752)
Not looking for slipons yet, I'm actually enjoying the quieter sound from the pipes and can hear my music.

I'm not a real big fan of "louder is better", although, I did purchase a set of Rinehart Slip-ons that are still in the box. I like their look and sound I heard on youtube.

I have also purchased the HD SE oval Air Breather and a tuner.

I'll install both as soon as I recover from Back Surgery (done yesterday) in a week or so. Riding is about 4 weeks away. :icon_emm:

Another Old Timer 02-17-2018 06:42 AM

Very glad for this '18 Heritage thread. Would love to hear more about the motors. Mine is a 114 with a SE Torque cam with the proper SE ECU download. Only 200 or so miles with the cam and really enjoy the torque.

The 103 in my '14 Road King never used a drop of oil between changes no matter how hard I ran it ie the rev limiter was set at 6K R's and hit it all the time. I'm thinking my 114 Heritage might be using oil, now has about 2,200 miles.

What are you guys seeing? I am going to pull the Derby this morning to see what the level is.

rcpbob 02-17-2018 02:16 PM

Water tight

OK all, here's a FLHC specific item. New for 2018 H-D claims they have water proof saddlebags. They don't. My left side bag has had 1/4" of standing waterboth after riding in the rain and after one washing. The right side bag remains dry. Any ideas ? thanks for ya help. Bob

Renfrew 02-17-2018 03:38 PM

My first Harley

I must say that I'm a happy camper with this bike.
So far, I've changed to LED signals and a lay down plate. The rest will come as the funds permit.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...33c4a77302.jpg

FrankEV 02-17-2018 03:38 PM

rcpbob,
Although I havn't riddenin the rain, my bike has benn out in the rain a few times and the bags have stayed dry.
So, I kinda think there is a crack, split or maybe the top dosen't close correctly on yours.
In any case I would think you would/should be talking to your dealer about replacing the bag.
H-D says they are waterproof, so since yours is leaking somewhere, it must be defective and should be eligible to be replaced under warentee.

FrankEV 02-17-2018 03:51 PM

Flat foot a Heritage

Originally Posted by Renfrew (Post 17100476)
I must say that I'm a happy camper with this bike.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...33c4a77302.jpg

Congrats. 107 or 114? Enjoy your new ride.
And BTW I see you can't quite flat foot your Heritage either.
I think I might be even a little shorter than you so I had the dealer put on a Reach seat even before leaving the showroom.
Now I'm about where you are...one foot yes, otheer foot on ball of foot.
I can reccomend the Reach seat in case you are interested.

BCC1 02-17-2018 03:51 PM

Mine is my daily commuter. Tunes and a 40 minute ride each way is about perfect. There are a few twists and turns and fast spots on the ride and I’m really enjoying it.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...612dcb90b.jpeg

Renfrew 02-17-2018 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by FrankEV (Post 17100506)
Congrats. 107 or 114? Enjoy your new ride.
And BTW I see you can't quite flat foot your Heritage either.
I think I might be even a little shorter than you so I had the dealer put on a Reach seat even before leaving the showroom.
Now I'm about where you are...one foot yes, otheer foot on ball of foot.
I can reccomend the Reach seat in case you are interested.

This is the lowest bike I've owned, my last bike was a CTX1300 with a 29" seat height, got me in trouble a few times.
You are right, one foot flat and the other about half an inch off. I'm in need of new boots so I might try that route first, The stock seat is very comfortable.
The is a 107 and a daily commuter, it's also parked outside with no cover (on the wet coast) and no leaky bags. Sounds like you might have a faulty bag or leaky lock mechanism.

FrankEV 02-17-2018 04:20 PM

Mine not leaking...that was rcpbob.

I would like to install H-D's lowering kits for Rear and Front, but the $$$ are just to big right now.

BTW, I can see you have the same helmet that I have...good taste.

Welcome to the Heritage "CLUB":icon_lolsign:

TrqUSMC 02-17-2018 04:39 PM

Hey all there is a facebook group called 2018 Softail M8 Owners Group that has tons of mods and info in it.

Thingfish 02-18-2018 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Laidlaw's master tech did up his own personal '18 Heritage. Fun watch....

Here's a pic of mine. Still fairly stock aside from the Stage 2.

Attachment 620443

kb_jag 02-18-2018 11:55 AM

As much as I'm smitten with Olive the rust just looks right as rain on your heritage fish.

Prot 02-18-2018 12:06 PM

Just an observation from an old Heritage rider.

These 2018 Heritages look better with the solo seat, regardless of paint color. That was not always the case with the old ones.

Thingfish 02-18-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by kb_jag (Post 17102747)
As much as I'm smitten with Olive the rust just looks right as rain on your heritage fish.

Thanks kb. Haven’t seen a color combo I don’t like on these yet. Occasionally I get “gloss envy” but I sure do like the flat primer red too.

Originally Posted by Prot (Post 17102778)
Just an observation from an old Heritage rider.

These 2018 Heritages look better with the solo seat, regardless of paint color. That was not always the case with the old ones.

I agree. I’ve since made a leather fender bib for mine. Now I look for excuses to keep the passenger seat off!

Another Old Timer 02-18-2018 04:26 PM

After noticing the engine oil level getting lower after each ride, checked it yesterday evening after a .....rather spirited ride. The oil level was at the add one Quart mark. Decided to let it sit over nite to see if oil would drain out of the Oil Cooler. This morning checked it again and the oil level was just touching the Dip Stick. Have not added any oil yet. Opened the Owners manual and followed the check level when cold procedure on page 111 in the OM. Let it idle on the Jiffy stand, check oil, still barely touching the dip stick. Yes I check the oil level by screwing the Dip Stick in all the way......Added about 1/2 qt and brought the level up 1/2 the way from Add oil and full following the instructions in the OM. Then did the 2 minute idle on the jiffy stand again.......Still at half the way between add and full......AOK.

As soon as the sun came up and the temp got above 45F outside. suited up for about 50 mile run down 60 to Suches, Ga. Took it easy just enjoying the tons of torque from the 114 with Torque cam .....Probably only hit as hi as 3,500 to 3,800 RPM the 50 miles. Got to Suches parked the bike and about 5 minutes after stopping checked the oil.........WTF .............The oil level was about as far above the full mark as the add mark was below the full mark. Checked it 3 times and again after about an hour and a half of shooting the Bull with friends. Road home keeping the revs below 3K R's. Checked the oil when I got home--Still super full??????????????

Does the large oil cooler on these 114 Softails have a thermostat that can trap the oil in the cooler if the bike does not get hot enough to open the thermostat????? Is this some form of sumping??? Any guesses???? Tranny oil hasn't changed level. Have not pulled the Derby cover yet........Will in the morning.

Comments or guesses welcome.......

FrankEV 02-18-2018 04:55 PM

Seat and Bags

Originally Posted by Thingfish (Post 17101855)
Here's a pic of mine. Still fairly stock aside from the Stage 2.

https://i.imgur.com/z5Jecqv.jpg

Those bags and seat don't look like the Heritage bags and seat that came on mine. Did you swap them out or was it a option available?

WarHorse15 02-18-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer (Post 17103412)
After noticing the engine oil level getting lower after each ride, checked it yesterday evening after a .....rather spirited ride. The oil level was at the add one Quart mark. Decided to let it sit over nite to see if oil would drain out of the Oil Cooler. This morning checked it again and the oil level was just touching the Dip Stick. Have not added any oil yet. Opened the Owners manual and followed the check level when cold procedure on page 111 in the OM. Let it idle on the Jiffy stand, check oil, still barely touching the dip stick. Yes I check the oil level by screwing the Dip Stick in all the way......Added about 1/2 qt and brought the level up 1/2 the way from Add oil and full following the instructions in the OM. Then did the 2 minute idle on the jiffy stand again.......Still at half the way between add and full......AOK.

As soon as the sun came up and the temp got above 45F outside. suited up for about 50 mile run down 60 to Suches, Ga. Took it easy just enjoying the tons of torque from the 114 with Torque cam .....Probably only hit as hi as 3,500 to 3,800 RPM the 50 miles. Got to Suches parked the bike and about 5 minutes after stopping checked the oil.........WTF .............The oil level was about as far above the full mark as the add mark was below the full mark. Checked it 3 times and again after about an hour and a half of shooting the Bull with friends. Road home keeping the revs below 3K R's. Checked the oil when I got home--Still super full??????????????

Does the large oil cooler on these 114 Softails have a thermostat that can trap the oil in the cooler if the bike does not get hot enough to open the thermostat????? Is this some form of sumping??? Any guesses???? Tranny oil hasn't changed level. Have not pulled the Derby cover yet........Will in the morning.

Comments or guesses welcome.......

Have not heard or read about any issues with oiling on the 114s. That doesn't sound good though. Maybe a call to the Dealer or Service section is in order? Keep us posted!

Pothole914 02-18-2018 05:43 PM

Bought mine on October 20 last year. As of today, I have 7,915 miles on it. Did the Stage II with torque cam and Rhinehart slip ons. A few other do dads like, heal shifter and Tribal shifter pegs and brake pedal. Loving this bike.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c717520216.jpg

WarHorse15 02-18-2018 06:43 PM

Just got finished installing the Custom Dynamics LED Turn signals all around.

The HD layback taillight is just beautiful and flows really nicely with the lines of the rear fender. I like the brighter, safer functionality of this set-up. Next step.......Brake light modulator!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...2e84d77096.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...88f126664a.jpg