2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Fatbob gas cap rattles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
Go back to the dealer and show them the service bulletin number. Then they have to look it up and then they will see. I once owned a 2004 Mazda RX8 that the shops could not get my new tires balanced. it turned out to be a special mathematical formula used in conjunction with the balancing of the tire. The local Mazda shop had no idea that this existed. I got the procedure from a fellow forum member and printed out the service bulletin and it worked like a charm and the Mazda service center learned something new!
I can't find any service bulletins on this issue. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but I have not been able to produce a bulletin number for them. Even though I was unable to give them the bulletin, I finally asked to speak to the service manager, who knows me pretty well from my passed Sportster engine project, and he agreed to replace it under warranty after he molested my gas cap then the one on the Fat Bob on the showroom floor as well as after reading some of these posts on the issue. Other than hearing about it from me and after reading this thread, no one in service department here has heard of it and they have not seen any service bulletins on it, or at least that's what he and the tech said. The tech was all for replacing it and was totally up for it once he felt the movement in my cap. If you have a bulletin number I can take to them just to inform them and to further support my case and prove that I'm not just crazy I would greatly appreciate it. If not it's fine because they are replacing it either way. Once I have the replacement cap, I'm going to try some of the home remedies to fix the rattle on the original cap that way if the new one begins to rattle I will swap back to the original. I will eventually switch to a flush mount gas cap but for now, the free new OEM gas cap will have to do.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I can't find any service bulletins on this issue. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but I have not been able to produce a bulletin number for them. Even though I was unable to give them the bulletin, I finally asked to speak to the service manager, who knows me pretty well from my passed Sportster engine project, and he agreed to replace it under warranty after he molested my gas cap then the one on the Fat Bob on the showroom floor as well as after reading some of these posts on the issue. Other than hearing about it from me and after reading this thread, no one in service department here has heard of it and they have not seen any service bulletins on it, or at least that's what he and the tech said. The tech was all for replacing it and was totally up for it once he felt the movement in my cap. If you have a bulletin number I can take to them just to inform them and to further support my case and prove that I'm not just crazy I would greatly appreciate it. If not it's fine because they are replacing it either way. Once I have the replacement cap, I'm going to try some of the home remedies to fix the rattle on the original cap that way if the new one begins to rattle I will swap back to the original. I will eventually switch to a flush mount gas cap but for now, the free new OEM gas cap will have to do.
Good to hear man.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

I didn't have any sort of service bulletin or anything. I just said "the gas cap rattles" and my dealer said "we'll swap it out for you under warranty" and that was that. So it may or may not be a Harley policy, or it might be down to your dealer's discretion I guess.

The following users liked this post:
Bowhunter8607 (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 03:20 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I didn't have any sort of service bulletin or anything. I just said "the gas cap rattles" and my dealer said "we'll swap it out for you under warranty" and that was that. So it may or may not be a Harley policy, or it might be down to your dealer's discretion I guess.
Same here just turned up ,told them and they swapped it out.
I got a black one so I had to pay a couple of bucks for the price difference.

Bowhunter8607 (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I didn't think there was one since I couldn't turn it up anywhere no matter how hard I searched. Once I told them that other dealers are replacing them and showed the manager the posts on the issue he was satisfied with the documentation of it and overrode his service writer's decision of not to replace it. The service writer just gave a stupid look after that.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 AM
Sleepingpanda
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just swapped mine to the flush gas cap. no issues.

Bowhunter8607 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine rattled, read on here in one of the topics to turn it at least 7 - 10 "clicks", tried it and no more rattles. Cost nothing, worth a try.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rakthi:
Bowhunter8607 (08-10-2018), Diogo Ressurreição (12-19-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

There are some nice options for gas caps on eBay for $10 or so delivered that fit and do the job well. Yeah, They are from China, but well made from CNC'ed billet, functional, don't rattle and avoid the HD $100 gas cap tax. Couple of examples below:

Flush mount pop up

Rough Crafts style knockoff

Bowhunter8607 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Mine rattled, read on here in one of the topics to turn it at least 7 - 10 "clicks", tried it and no more rattles. Cost nothing, worth a try.
Thanks for the advice. I read that as well and have been doing it and it helped for about a week but now I can turn and turn and turn it some more and it still just rattles like a rattle snake. I'm going to use the replacement cap they ordered for me until it starts rattling again and will replace that with a flush mount gas cap. I like the look of them better anyway and it will resolve the rattling so it's a win win for me.

Originally Posted by adm
There are some nice options for gas caps on eBay for $10 or so delivered that fit and do the job well. Yeah, They are from China, but well made from CNC'ed billet, functional, don't rattle and avoid the HD $100 gas cap tax. Couple of examples below:

Flush mount pop up

Rough Crafts style knockoff
Thanks for the suggestions and links. I will check them out.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Cacarbuff
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@sleepingpanda which flush mount is that? HD doesn't have one listen that will fit. If you can share a link, I'd really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 2018 Fatbob gas cap rattles