Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   Tab Muffler on Sport Glide (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1270441-tab-muffler-on-sport-glide.html)

polbit 02-08-2019 09:11 AM

Tab Muffler on Sport Glide

Looking to upgrade the sound without voiding the warranty. Purchased the SE Pro Street tuner, and now looking for a muffler. the SE Cannon is nice, but I finally heard it in person, and just a tad too quiet. My next option is the Tab muffler, with the mild baffle.

Can anyone comment on the sound, and any decel popping, fueling issues with the Street tuner and no dyno tune?

rvkersh 02-08-2019 10:59 AM

I installed the Vance and Hines big radius pipes, the Screaming Eagle high flow intake for use with the stock round cover, and the street tuner. I used the stage 1 map, bike runs great. Very very little exhaust pop, less than the stock set up. Bike sounds like it should now. I had the Tab muffler with the larger baffle, but it didn't have the traditional sound.

14IronCross 02-08-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by polbit (Post 18020625)
Looking to upgrade the sound without voiding the warranty. Purchased the SE Pro Street tuner, and now looking for a muffler. the SE Cannon is nice, but I finally heard it in person, and just a tad too quiet. My next option is the Tab muffler, with the mild baffle.

Can anyone comment on the sound, and any decel popping, fueling issues with the Street tuner and no dyno tune?

I might be mistaken but after market exhaust will void your warranty, at this point only SE will not void it

polbit 02-08-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 14IronCross (Post 18020984)

I might be mistaken but after market exhaust will void your warranty, at this point only SE will not void it

I'm not changing exhaust, just the muffler, and the dealer said they have not had any issues with Harley when the Pro Street tuner is used. When you go with a non-EPA tuner though, you are on your own.

You can always change the muffler back to stock for service as well, 5 minute job.

polbit 02-08-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by rvkersh (Post 18020943)
I installed the Vance and Hines big radius pipes, the Screaming Eagle high flow intake for use with the stock round cover, and the street tuner. I used the stage 1 map, bike runs great. Very very little exhaust pop, less than the stock set up. Bike sounds like it should now. I had the Tab muffler with the larger baffle, but it didn't have the traditional sound.

Was that the quiet baffle? How would you compare that to stock? I don't want to do the full exhaust, and also need to be able to leave my neighborhood in peace as I commute on the bike as much as I can...

14IronCross 02-08-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by polbit (Post 18021097)
I'm not changing exhaust, just the muffler, and the dealer said they have not had any issues with Harley when the Pro Street tuner is used. When you go with a non-EPA tuner though, you are on your own.

You can always change the muffler back to stock for service as well, 5 minute job.

Muffler is part of the exhaust.
Good luck if you need warranty work and you are away from your dealer with your non epa compliant exhaust-muffler.
Non-epa compliant parts will void your warranty.
You might get lucky, you might not....
You already have a sepst to preserve your warranty,
Then you should stick with SE parts.
Otherwise you should get a PV or fp3 which will be way better for fine tuning any after market exhaust-muffler as sepst is not designed for that and will most likely make your bike run too lean.
All i am saying is that if you want to keep your warranty, after market exhaust which is non epa compliant is a gamble And it does not make sense to use a sepst with aftermarket exhaust

polbit 02-08-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 14IronCross (Post 18021132)

Muffler is part of the exhaust.
Good luck if you need warranty work and you are away from your dealer with your non epa compliant exhaust-muffler.
Non-epa compliant parts will void your warranty.
You might get lucky, you might not....
You already have a sepst to preserve your warranty,
Then you should stick with SE parts.
Otherwise you should get a PV or fp3 which will be way better for fine tuning any after market exhaust-muffler as sepst is not designed for that and will most likely make your bike run too lean.
All i am saying is that if you want to keep your warranty, after market exhaust which is non epa compliant is a gamble And it does not make sense to use a sepst with aftermarket exhaust

What you are saying makes no sense:
1. Once you use your non-EPA tuner, you are done - HD can read the ECM and see that you have used a tuner. It's a one-way street. No thanks. Pro Street preserves your warranty.
2. Changing just the muffler is NOT the same as full exhaust, and there is no need to have a full-blown tuner to make it work within the same parameters as stock, i.e. a bit lean for EPA. It also allows me to tune other things like throttle progressiveness.
3. Using aftermarket muffler allows me to get the sound I want, as the cannon is basically as quiet as stock, with just a slightly different sound.
4. I will take the VERY slight chance that my new bike will fail catastrophically enough and far away enough from home to not be able to put the muffler back on vs enjoying the sound I want on daily basis, AND that Harley will not only find out it's an aftermarket muffler, but will ALSO deny the claim based on said muffler.

Once the warranty is up, I'm definitely going PV and stage II with aftermarket cam and full exhaust, but I have two years before that.

14IronCross 02-08-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by polbit (Post 18021151)
What you are saying makes no sense:
1. Once you use your non-EPA tuner, you are done - HD can read the ECM and see that you have used a tuner. It's a one-way street. No thanks. Pro Street preserves your warranty.
2. Changing just the muffler is NOT the same as full exhaust, and there is no need to have a full-blown tuner to make it work within the same parameters as stock, i.e. a bit lean for EPA. It also allows me to tune other things like throttle progressiveness.
3. Using aftermarket muffler allows me to get the sound I want, as the cannon is basically as quiet as stock, with just a slightly different sound.
4. I will take the VERY slight chance that my new bike will fail catastrophically enough and far away enough from home to not be able to put the muffler back on vs enjoying the sound I want on daily basis, AND that Harley will not only find out it's an aftermarket muffler, but will ALSO deny the claim based on said muffler.

Once the warranty is up, I'm definitely going PV and stage II with aftermarket cam and full exhaust, but I have two years before that.

Whatever dude

polbit 02-08-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 14IronCross (Post 18021169)

Whatever dude

OK dude

rvkersh 02-08-2019 01:49 PM

There are 2 baffle sizes excluding the zombie which is a straight pipe. I had the larger baffle 2.5" it was still pretty quiet and did not deliver that traditional Harley sound. You do realize the cat is in the muffler, once removed is no longer EPA compliant.