2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tab Muffler on Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Tab Muffler on Sport Glide

Looking to upgrade the sound without voiding the warranty. Purchased the SE Pro Street tuner, and now looking for a muffler. the SE Cannon is nice, but I finally heard it in person, and just a tad too quiet. My next option is the Tab muffler, with the mild baffle.

Can anyone comment on the sound, and any decel popping, fueling issues with the Street tuner and no dyno tune?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 AM
rvkersh
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed the Vance and Hines big radius pipes, the Screaming Eagle high flow intake for use with the stock round cover, and the street tuner. I used the stage 1 map, bike runs great. Very very little exhaust pop, less than the stock set up. Bike sounds like it should now. I had the Tab muffler with the larger baffle, but it didn't have the traditional sound.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 AM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
Looking to upgrade the sound without voiding the warranty. Purchased the SE Pro Street tuner, and now looking for a muffler. the SE Cannon is nice, but I finally heard it in person, and just a tad too quiet. My next option is the Tab muffler, with the mild baffle.

Can anyone comment on the sound, and any decel popping, fueling issues with the Street tuner and no dyno tune?
I might be mistaken but after market exhaust will void your warranty, at this point only SE will not void it

Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM
polbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by 14IronCross

I might be mistaken but after market exhaust will void your warranty, at this point only SE will not void it
I'm not changing exhaust, just the muffler, and the dealer said they have not had any issues with Harley when the Pro Street tuner is used. When you go with a non-EPA tuner though, you are on your own.

You can always change the muffler back to stock for service as well, 5 minute job.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM
polbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by rvkersh
I installed the Vance and Hines big radius pipes, the Screaming Eagle high flow intake for use with the stock round cover, and the street tuner. I used the stage 1 map, bike runs great. Very very little exhaust pop, less than the stock set up. Bike sounds like it should now. I had the Tab muffler with the larger baffle, but it didn't have the traditional sound.
Was that the quiet baffle? How would you compare that to stock? I don't want to do the full exhaust, and also need to be able to leave my neighborhood in peace as I commute on the bike as much as I can...

Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
14IronCross
Banned

I'm not changing exhaust, just the muffler, and the dealer said they have not had any issues with Harley when the Pro Street tuner is used. When you go with a non-EPA tuner though, you are on your own.

You can always change the muffler back to stock for service as well, 5 minute job.
Muffler is part of the exhaust.
Good luck if you need warranty work and you are away from your dealer with your non epa compliant exhaust-muffler.
Non-epa compliant parts will void your warranty.
You might get lucky, you might not....
You already have a sepst to preserve your warranty,
Then you should stick with SE parts.
Otherwise you should get a PV or fp3 which will be way better for fine tuning any after market exhaust-muffler as sepst is not designed for that and will most likely make your bike run too lean.
All i am saying is that if you want to keep your warranty, after market exhaust which is non epa compliant is a gamble And it does not make sense to use a sepst with aftermarket exhaust

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
polbit
Tourer

Muffler is part of the exhaust.
Good luck if you need warranty work and you are away from your dealer with your non epa compliant exhaust-muffler.
Non-epa compliant parts will void your warranty.
You might get lucky, you might not....
You already have a sepst to preserve your warranty,
Then you should stick with SE parts.
Otherwise you should get a PV or fp3 which will be way better for fine tuning any after market exhaust-muffler as sepst is not designed for that and will most likely make your bike run too lean.
All i am saying is that if you want to keep your warranty, after market exhaust which is non epa compliant is a gamble And it does not make sense to use a sepst with aftermarket exhaust
What you are saying makes no sense:
1. Once you use your non-EPA tuner, you are done - HD can read the ECM and see that you have used a tuner. It's a one-way street. No thanks. Pro Street preserves your warranty.
2. Changing just the muffler is NOT the same as full exhaust, and there is no need to have a full-blown tuner to make it work within the same parameters as stock, i.e. a bit lean for EPA. It also allows me to tune other things like throttle progressiveness.
3. Using aftermarket muffler allows me to get the sound I want, as the cannon is basically as quiet as stock, with just a slightly different sound.
4. I will take the VERY slight chance that my new bike will fail catastrophically enough and far away enough from home to not be able to put the muffler back on vs enjoying the sound I want on daily basis, AND that Harley will not only find out it's an aftermarket muffler, but will ALSO deny the claim based on said muffler.

Once the warranty is up, I'm definitely going PV and stage II with aftermarket cam and full exhaust, but I have two years before that.

The following users liked this post:
cchuck3537 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM
14IronCross
Banned

What you are saying makes no sense:
1. Once you use your non-EPA tuner, you are done - HD can read the ECM and see that you have used a tuner. It's a one-way street. No thanks. Pro Street preserves your warranty.
2. Changing just the muffler is NOT the same as full exhaust, and there is no need to have a full-blown tuner to make it work within the same parameters as stock, i.e. a bit lean for EPA. It also allows me to tune other things like throttle progressiveness.
3. Using aftermarket muffler allows me to get the sound I want, as the cannon is basically as quiet as stock, with just a slightly different sound.
4. I will take the VERY slight chance that my new bike will fail catastrophically enough and far away enough from home to not be able to put the muffler back on vs enjoying the sound I want on daily basis, AND that Harley will not only find out it's an aftermarket muffler, but will ALSO deny the claim based on said muffler.

Once the warranty is up, I'm definitely going PV and stage II with aftermarket cam and full exhaust, but I have two years before that.
Whatever dude

Old 02-08-2019, 12:26 PM
polbit
Tourer

Whatever dude
OK dude

Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM
rvkersh
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

There are 2 baffle sizes excluding the zombie which is a straight pipe. I had the larger baffle 2.5" it was still pretty quiet and did not deliver that traditional Harley sound. You do realize the cat is in the muffler, once removed is no longer EPA compliant.

Quick Reply: Tab Muffler on Sport Glide