2018+ Softail Models Breakout

FXFBS long stem mirror or extension .. toughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:53 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by K9F
Hi MoneyFor,

Understood! The OEM ones left me with an horrendous blind spot, I then swapped them out for Tribals but wasn't really happy with them either as the threaded stalks despite being advertised for my model could not be fitted with the washers as the threaded portions were too damn short. Ended up going for the above, took a while to set them up as there is no adjust on the go with the normal ball and socket arrangement. Must admit the thought of using extensions never crossed my mind.
I have subsequently fitted very similar indicators as yours and that was another modification I was happy with.
Oke I understand

The indicators on mine, I made myself but on the Breakout I bought them from Thunderbike, they where expensive so I decided to made them myself.

The making of :

Old 04-09-2019, 01:08 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Amazing skills you have and machinery you have access to. I bought mine from Thunderbike.

The following users liked this post:
MoneyFor (04-09-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought the HD long stem mirrors for my '18 FatBob and they are absolutely perfect for me. I tried the black HD extenders first, but bought the kind that weren't made to fit on the '18 and up models. I still made it work with washers and stuff, but it was FUGLY. Went to the HD long stem mirrors and am very glad I did.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

I tested the Kuryakyn, apparently a friend of mine once bought it but never used it. I found out about this in the club and after telling my story about the poor visibility in the mirrors.
He suggested to come and get them and if I could use them I would get them for free, so I went to get them, they were in chrome but that in itself was no problem, I could change
that with powder coating them black.

I installed them and the visibility was better but it didn't look good, just ugly, they are way to high and it looked like they were bent. So I ordered a Chinese clone from the ones on
my first picture earlier on this page. They barely cost $11.32 including shipping so I'll try these and see if the quallity is any good then they can stay on if the rear view is better.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Eduardo Leite
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Oke I understand

The indicators on mine, I made myself but on the Breakout I bought them from Thunderbike, they where expensive so I decided to made them myself.

The making of :

Hi, Really awesome! Can you share the Schematics, template and measures of this peace? I would like to try make one for my FXFBS as well

Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 PM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks ! ........ but there is not much to share,

I builded this around the the ShinYo leds, I never use schematics or such, it's all in my head and what I see I make. I suggest that you buy the leds that you
want to use and the improvise and take a look at my creation or from other brands like TB or so and copy what you see.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Thumbs up Good Product, But. . .

I put the HD mirror extension kit on my 2017 Sportster 1200T. They greatly improved the field of vision to the rear and put the mirrors at a height that made a look to the rear easy without distracting from my down-the-road focus. Easy to install, inexpensive, effective solution to improving rear vision. TIP: If you get them, I recommend using a few drops of Blue Loctite on the two components plus the attachment at the base of the mirror to keep them stable when adjusting your mirrors and in the wind.

However, I really wanted the HD wide-angle (two-mirrors on each mirror), but they wouldn't fit because of the shape of the base of the stem. When I bought my 2019 Low Rider, I put the wide-angle mirrors on it at time of purchase; they are great. I definitely like the look of the shape. I also put the 4" riser on the 2019 Low Rider; so, this elevated the wide-angle mirrors to the right height for maintaining down-the-road focus.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:47 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

I use the H-D mirror extenders on both Cherry and Big Sister. Additionally I like the Kuryakyn Heavy Industry Oval Mirrors. Between the two, you can see both directly behind and the outside lane unobstructed on both sides. I very rarely have to turn my head to see if I'm clear to change lanes, I will just glance to make sure no one is right next to me, although with this mirror setup there really aren't any blind spots.

There is only one MAJOR drawback to this setup...so don't even think about lane splitting... the out to out of the mirrors is nearly 48 inches. My parking space between my car and wall is tight and I have to be very careful not to hit the mirrors when pulling in or backing out. For this reason, they tend to get knocked out of adjustment easily, like when just putting bike cover on.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Glad you guys are happy with the HD extenders but I'm not keen on that high look, I tried the chinese clone extenders, that was okay for vissability but al so I didn't liked the look of it so now have the long stem HD mirrors and they work for me
in field of vision and looks.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:34 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Glad you guys are happy with the HD extenders but I'm not keen on that high look, I tried the chinese clone extenders, that was okay for vissability but al so I didn't liked the look of it so now have the long stem HD mirrors and they work for me
in field of vision and looks.
I use (need) long stem mirrors. I think I tried some Harley one and they stuck up in the air too much.
The ones I have now have a lower bend so they look stock but do give a nice safe field of view and a nice clean look.

The following users liked this post:
MoneyFor (08-17-2019)

Quick Reply: FXFBS long stem mirror or extension .. toughts ?