2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Vanc & Hines Slips Fit TIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 03:14 PM
HellaGNARLY
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Vanc & Hines Slips Fit TIGHT

Picked up a 2020 FXBB a few weeks ago and like most, absolutely hate the stock exhaust. I bought some Vance & Hines Eliminator 300's. Install seemed pretty simple and all the Youtube videos I've seen, usually takes 10-15 minutes. The bottom tip took me close to an hour and I gave up on the top after almost another hour.

The fit is so damned TIGHT, even with some WD40. Anyone else experience this? I talked to V&H twice. The first time through their chat and they advised me to use a pipe expander to adjust the receiving end for 1.75". I talked to them again yesterday, but on the phone. This time, the guy told me check their pipe with a caliper and also the ID of the stock exhaust, then we'd possibly discuss some kind of return.

I was sick as hell when I tried, so maybe I'll give it another go but it's just frustrating and I don't want to go bending the hell out of it. Did they change the size of the stock exhaust over the last year or did I just get a lemon?

Old 03-12-2020, 03:46 PM
floppysocks
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HellaGNARLY
Picked up a 2020 FXBB a few weeks ago and like most, absolutely hate the stock exhaust. I bought some Vance & Hines Eliminator 300's. Install seemed pretty simple and all the Youtube videos I've seen, usually takes 10-15 minutes. The bottom tip took me close to an hour and I gave up on the top after almost another hour.

The fit is so damned TIGHT, even with some WD40. Anyone else experience this? I talked to V&H twice. The first time through their chat and they advised me to use a pipe expander to adjust the receiving end for 1.75". I talked to them again yesterday, but on the phone. This time, the guy told me check their pipe with a caliper and also the ID of the stock exhaust, then we'd possibly discuss some kind of return.

I was sick as hell when I tried, so maybe I'll give it another go but it's just frustrating and I don't want to go bending the hell out of it. Did they change the size of the stock exhaust over the last year or did I just get a lemon?
Seems pretty weird, my S&S fit easy.

Maybe check your part number again. I wouldn't worry too much though, V&H will take care of you.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:53 PM
HellaGNARLY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by floppysocks
Seems pretty weird, my S&S fit easy.

Maybe check your part number again. I wouldn't worry too much though, V&H will take care of you.
Looks like we have the exact same bike. I ordered the slips specific for 2018's or newer and man, it was a tough fit. I was sicker than hell so maybe I just needed a bit more strength. I'm going to get it another try this weekend.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,853 Likes on 979 Posts

You need an expander to size the muffler inlet correctly and new gaskets if the muffler is designed to use the H-D gaskets.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:28 PM
HellaGNARLY
Cruiser

Right, and that's what V&H initially told me but for $450, I don't want to go doing that until I know for sure I can't jimmy it on. I'm gonna try this weekend and see what I can come up with. Is there anything else to recommend other than WD40?

Old 03-12-2020, 05:57 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

WD-40 has alot of water in it . Use a good penatrating oil . I have a 2019 Softail Slim that I installed the Vance & Hines 3" twin Slash slip on mufflers . Not all that tight , more of a problem getting the factory mufflers off . I could not take the decel pop any longer so I removed the standard baffles and installed their quiet baffles . Only reduced the decel pop about 50% . Read a few reports of guys loosing their factory warranty over just a simple slip on muffler , so I put my factory mufflers back on . I do not trust Harley . When warranty is up I will go back to the V&H pipes and flash a new map . Never heard of opening-up the pipe diameter . Sounds like BS to me .

Old 03-12-2020, 06:52 PM
HellaGNARLY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brudford
WD-40 has alot of water in it . Use a good penatrating oil . I have a 2019 Softail Slim that I installed the Vance & Hines 3" twin Slash slip on mufflers . Not all that tight , more of a problem getting the factory mufflers off . I could not take the decel pop any longer so I removed the standard baffles and installed their quiet baffles . Only reduced the decel pop about 50% . Read a few reports of guys loosing their factory warranty over just a simple slip on muffler , so I put my factory mufflers back on . I do not trust Harley . When warranty is up I will go back to the V&H pipes and flash a new map . Never heard of opening-up the pipe diameter . Sounds like BS to me .
I think it just depends on if your dealership wants to be a dick or not. I talked to the parts manager at one last week and he said you're fine. It's only once you start tuning it that you'll run into an issue with warranty. From what I read and heard, there's a real blurry line but I've gathered that I'll be fine with slip ons. Since they're slips and not a full exhaust swap, I think it should be ok. If anything, I'll save my stock mufflers and just pop them back on when I take the bike in.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:28 PM
kgballer2442
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Dish soap and cold water. Then if it doesn't slide on easily take and get a board place it against the end and hammer it on gently. Works every time.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:11 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by kgballer2442
Dish soap and cold water. Then if it doesn't slide on easily take and get a board place it against the end and hammer it on gently. Works every time.
Generally, dish soap has salt in it. +1 vote for penetrating oil.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

My 300's slipped right on my 18 Heritage. Fit perfect. Took me about 45 minutes to remove my stock ones and install the new ones.

Quick Reply: Vanc & Hines Slips Fit TIGHT