2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Changing wheels on Sport Glide? This may help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 08:20 PM
Payson
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Changing wheels on Sport Glide? This may help.

Getting closer to "done" with every step. I wanted new wheels for the Sport Glide as part of the process.

Ordered via WanaRyd. The new wheel did not fit when bolted up. The one I ordered came with a “Chrome Front Hub Kit, Single Disk 215Z.” The front wheel hub was too wide. The stock wheel has a width of 6 9/16” bearing to bearing and the new wheel has a width of 6 ¾” bearing to bearing. Not much luck via WanaRyd. They showed it all as correct. They did offer to let me ship it back, etc. no problems there. Decided I would get a new spacer for the non disc side. Turned down the spacer and it fits like a champ!

Stock vs. turned down stock.

If you decide on new wheels for a Sport Glide, you may want to order a spare spacer from Harley (About two weeks, but not back ordered!) in case you have to turn it down a bit. If your comes with a narrower hub, it may fit without that step? I think any replacement wheel other than stock may run into this issue? On the bright side, the shiny new wider chrome hub beats the old wider spacer. Again, works like a charm. Swapped to a 200mm rear, and that fits just fine. Fills in the space well I think. There are about four matched sets that I found. Went with Bridgestone as they were not back ordered. Very pleased with the tire.

200 mm rear.

With that project completed, I am one step closer to "done." Has a Woods 22xe, various bits and pieces along the way, Saddleman, few more bits here and there to come in due time.

Very pleased and really enjoy the flexibility of the Sport Glide as a stripped down cruiser or a dressed up light tourer.

Be safe.

The (current) end result.

The following 7 users liked this post by Payson:
Big Mule (10-01-2021), cobalt07 (10-03-2021), Crispy (10-02-2021), Ivabign (10-01-2021), NewVagus (10-06-2021), porkster (10-01-2021), Rabianegra (10-02-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-02-2021, 03:52 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 319 Likes on 226 Posts

Specifically what tires & size are you running? I assume it would still fit with the factory stock rim? Appreciate your help.

Or is that a different rim diameter? I don’t find that tread pattern on Bridgestone sight.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:04 PM
Payson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VernDiesel
Specifically what tires & size are you running? I assume it would still fit with the factory stock rim? Appreciate your help.

Or is that a different rim diameter? I don’t find that tread pattern on Bridgestone sight.
I think the stock rim is 16" x 5?" Well the only option for replacement on Harley site is a 16x5" Not certain on Mantis width. The one chart I can find shows 16 x 5. Tire is still mounted to old rim, else I would go measure it for you.

I have a 16 x 5.5 now. Found this tire fitment / rim chart when looking. Does not appear a 200 would fit a 5"? It does fit a 5.5" I dont recall seeing any posts here or Facebook groups where people run a 200 on stock Mantis rims?

Odd on the Bridgestone site. No idea. Here you go.... I now run a 200/60/16 on the rear. Works great!

https://www.bridgestonemotorcycletir...lts/exedra-max

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...edra-max-tires

Hope that helps you!.

The following users liked this post:
VernDiesel (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Payson
Cruiser

Hmmmn, Looking at the picture above and the picture from the website I had to go double check. Definitely an ExcedraMax R.

VernDiesel (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:08 AM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice wheels!
3/16" difference and Waynard didn't "own it"???
Have a lathe, mill and have made lots of spacers but that may be an issue for some?

Also maybe should be taken from each side to stay closer to stock spec? Caliper would have to float the 3/32".

JM

Old 10-03-2021, 08:46 AM
Payson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnnyMagic
Nice wheels!
3/16" difference and Waynard didn't "own it"???
Have a lathe, mill and have made lots of spacers but that may be an issue for some?

Also maybe should be taken from each side to stay closer to stock spec? Caliper would have to float the 3/32".

JM

Thanks.

So you would think on WanaRyd no? They said they have had prior Sport Glides with the same set up without issues. I suspect the customer may have had issues, just not contacted them about it? Who knows? I reached out to them, Arlen Ness and Ryd Wheels of CA. WanaRyd maintains they don't use Ness cartridge hubs and it is 100% American made. I think they share the same part number with the Ness part? Odd. No one responded other than WanaRyd.

I figured it would be easier and quicker to ship a new cartridge hub if I could get the specs from Ness. Nobody but WanaRyd responded and they said to ship it back. I figured it was not gonna shrink in that process so held off and got a spacer.

I had a thread here asking for input with detailed pictures; no responses. (Guess I am the first to have the issue?)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...ort-glide.html

It is part of a two piece cartridge hub set and the rotor side was good. There was no spacer on that side and the disc floated center in calipers. The only way to do it was the non rotor side. The other thread has detail pictures. It could be an issue for some to turn one down. Sometimes a shop with a lathe is a good thing? It may just be they matched the wrong hub set? I am in touch with a guy on FaceBook group who is waiting shipping from WanaRyd. He is ordering the spacer..... just in case. We will see how his goes. I figure for Sport Glide guys it is $25.00 insurance to get a spare to have on hand.

Fun discovery. The front wheel / tire assembly does not run on the center line. I did not know that. Check a few bikes. May require that you measure, your eyes may play tricks, but not quite center. We measured a few bikes and models just to be certain it was not a one off. Seems to track just fine.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:14 AM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes, my 2020 FXDR front hub is off-center a full 1/4".
I (suspect) Harley does this to "balance" a bike???
My bike handles GREAT and it has a 240 rear. Looked close at the Sport Glide.
The rear swingarm/tire size and dual discs up front, and gas tank were the tipping points.
Had to make 7-up 3-back risers (used Fat Bob bars) to make it comfortable.

Will be building hard bags for it as I like the
Sport-tour type bikes.

Also going to test drive a Triumph Rocket 111 GT on Tues. So I might get distracted :-)

JM

Payson (10-04-2021)