Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test: PPI Phantom 4.900 4-channel Class D amp (900W claimed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:30 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Test: PPI Phantom 4.900 4-channel Class D amp (900W claimed)

Sponsered by Haze324 - thanks bud (amp on its way back to you as well as your "faulty" RZ4; nothing wrong with it, I had it blasting for 20+ minutes with no issues).

the results are in:

details in the PDF, here the highlights:

Bike Running and revving a little bit:
~220Watts RMS at 2 ohm (Vac ~21V)
~125Watts RMS at 4 ohm (Vac ~22.4V)

FM: this unit I tested did NOT lose any stations (tested with stock HD antenna)
Not running hot on temp!

THIS IS A BEAST - Now I know my JBL P963 6x9 need POWER to get even better... this amp WILL blow up "any" 6.5" speaker, like my Polks so be careful... turn the gains down if running 1 on each channel...
Sound: "neutral" on lower volumes, not enough low/low mid at high volume when running flat EQ. simple adjustment on HU or on the extensive options on the amp itself (LPF/HPF/BPF options available).
For a mere 210 bucks you get PLENTY of power.
DOES NOT FIT IN FAIRING - PERIOD (yeah yeah: i had to try...). luckily for Haze, otherwise I would have kept is and buy a new one for him....

note: I ran over 10AWG power line with 25A fuse - no problem...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73oi8stsaz...20amp.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by AAWAV; 01-16-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: incorrect Vac at 4 ohm... too much beer LOL
Old 01-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
Sponsered by Haze324 - thanks bud (amp on its way back to you as well as your "faulty" RZ4; nothing wrong with it, I had it blasting for 20+ minutes with no issues).

the results are in:

details in the PDF, here the highlights:

Bike Running and revving a little bit:
~220Watts RMS at 2 ohm (Vac ~21V)
~125Watts RMS at 4 ohm (Vac ~15.8V)

FM: this unit I tested did NOT lose any stations (tested with stock HD antenna)
Not running hot on temp!

THIS IS A BEAST - Now I know my JBL P963 6x9 need POWER to get even better... this amp WILL blow up "any" 6.5" speaker, like my Polks so be careful... turn the gains down if running 1 on each channel...
Sound: "neutral" on lower volumes, not enough low/low mid at high volume when running flat EQ. simple adjustment on HU or on the extensive options on the amp itself (LPF/HPF/BPF options available).
For a mere 210 bucks you get PLENTY of power.
DOES NOT FIT IN FAIRING - PERIOD (yeah yeah: i had to try...). luckily for Haze, otherwise I would have kept is and buy a new one for him....

note: I ran over 10AWG power line with 25A fuse - no problem...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73oi8stsaz...20amp.pdf?dl=0
Very nice write up!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:33 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Great write up man. I'm going to install it next week. Running a set of kappas in the front and pioneer 6x9 facing the rear wheel in both bags.

I'll post a review and some pics of the amp in the bag.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by haze324
Great write up man. I'm going to install it next week. Running a set of kappas in the front and pioneer 6x9 facing the rear wheel in both bags.

2 tips: turn gain back on the kappa's (amp is too much for them IMO), put hpf on the kappa's - play a bit with the freq. there ~80-100 hz. do NOT push the freq x10 buttons.
you'll be throwing (clean) 125 watts to the Pioneers (4 ohm) so should be fine... no LPF or HPF there (believe rear only has LPF, cannot recall and amp is already back at USPS...
and.... strap bike down, otherwise it will jump off the driveway due to the Pioneers thumping

Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

OOOOPPPPPSSS double post

Originally Posted by haze324

2 tips: turn gain back on the kappa's (amp is too much for them IMO), put hpf on the kappa's - play a bit with the freq. there ~80-100 hz. do NOT push the freq x10 buttons.
you'll be throwing (clean) 125 watts to the Pioneers (4 ohm) so should be fine... no LPF or HPF there (believe rear only has LPF, cannot recall and amp is already back at USPS...
and.... strap bike down, otherwise it will jump off the driveway due to the Pioneers thumping

Old 01-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
OOOOPPPPPSSS double post

LMAO!! I got some straps if you need em. . . .