Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by PstrGolf
First of all, thanks for the reply! yeah, I was going for more of a budget install but if I can find some better speakers that aren't much more, I don't mind going that route. The Pyle speakers we're actually something I picked up very cheap, so I don't have much into them. After researching a lot of options, I decided to go with dual lids...with (2) 6x9 speakers in each lid. The Rockvilles for the bags were actually rated very high online and don't have weep holes, so there's less of a chance that I'll get water leaking into the bags. My plan was to cover them with black mellotone speaker fabric that's been treated with a water repellent., just for a bit of insurance ... another suggestion I found online. Thanks, again!
Mark in an effort to help keep you on a low budget, here's my recommendation. Send back the Pyle's and get the Kappas I've linked below. Go ahead and try the 6x9's as they're easy enough to swap out if need be. You'll need to run those in a paralleled configuration which will net you around 125 watts per 6x9.
If you don't already have the speaker adapters for the fairing I'd suggest the Metra 82-9601.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...1217879&page=1

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 AM
PstrGolf
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a million...YOU ROCK!
I have purchased a pair of speaker adapters that are "supposed" to fit my bike but they haven't arrived yet, so the jury's still out on whether or not they actually will! If they don't, it'll be STELLAR to have a link to ones I know will work! :-)

A couple more questions...
First (probably a stupid question), the Kappas should be running off the amp, not the head unit, correct?

Second (re: the rear 6x9's), if I understand the paralleled configuration concept correctly, it's basically daisy chaining the speakers together, correct? So, I'd wire the from positive right rear speaker output on the amp to the positive terminal on the 1st right rear speaker and then use a "jumper" wire to daisy chain to the positive terminal on the 2nd - then do the same with the negative side and repeat the process for the left rear speakers from the left side of the amp...does that sound right?

Third, I've seen a couple videos / sites that mention a line converter between the head unit (https://smhttp-ssl-49160.nexcesscdn....kd-r97mbs2.jpg) and the amp (http://www.woofersetc.com/media/cata...4-1000d_02.jpg).
Any idea if I'll need one of those, as well?
If so, do you have any suggestions on a decent, reasonably priced unit?

Last, do you have any suggestions on speaker wire?

I appreciate all the help!!

Last edited by PstrGolf; 02-16-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: One more question...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:21 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PstrGolf
Thanks a million...YOU ROCK!
I have purchased a pair of speaker adapters that are "supposed" to fit my bike but they haven't arrived yet, so the jury's still out on whether or not they actually will! If they don't, it'll be STELLAR to have a link to ones I know will work! :-)

A couple more questions...
First (probably a stupid question), the Kappas should be running off the amp, not the head unit, correct?

Second (re: the rear 6x9's), if I understand the paralleled configuration concept correctly, it's basically daisy chaining the speakers together, correct? So, I'd wire the from positive right rear speaker output on the amp to the positive terminal on the 1st right rear speaker and then use a "jumper" wire to daisy chain to the positive terminal on the 2nd - then do the same with the negative side and repeat the process for the left rear speakers from the left side of the amp...does that sound right?

Third, I've seen a couple videos / sites that mention a line converter between the head unit (https://smhttp-ssl-49160.nexcesscdn....kd-r97mbs2.jpg) and the amp (http://www.woofersetc.com/media/cata...4-1000d_02.jpg).
Any idea if I'll need one of those, as well?
If so, do you have any suggestions on a decent, reasonably priced unit?

Last, do you have any suggestions on speaker wire?

I appreciate all the help!!
Yes the Kappas will be ran off channels 1 and 2 of the amp. You're also correct on the method of paralleling. Left bag will parallel to channel 3 and right bag to channel 4.
You won't need a LOC (line out converter). The HU your using has RCA connections. You'll need 2 RCA cables linked below. These will be the only connections between the HU and amp.
As far as speaker wire goes you can get that at Walmart. 14 or 16 gauge will work fine. I prefer 14.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...r-SI421.5.html

Last edited by SBates08; 02-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PstrGolf (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:03 AM
PstrGolf
6th Gear

Excellent!

I've read that larger gauge wires should be used to connect the amp to the battery and to ground it...is that right?
Do you know what would be recommended for this type of amp?

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

I use 8 gauge wire. You'll need approximately 6ft of power and 6ft of ground wire. You'll also need a 40 amp inline fuse close to the battery end of the power cable. If you have a CB Shop or Radio Shack close by, they're good places to source your power and ground wire. Look at Audio Shops too.

Last edited by SBates08; 02-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PstrGolf (02-16-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Stroked16
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Can you return the amp? That's where I'd start.
I'm curious as to why the hate for the RF amp? Never had issues with anything RF, but that was all car stereos.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:16 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stroked16
I'm curious as to why the hate for the RF amp? Never had issues with anything RF, but that was all car stereos.
The PBR300x4 is probably one of the worst amps available for bike audio. 1-you can't bridge it, 2-it's severely underpowered, 3-you can only run 4ohm on it, 4-it gets extremely hot, 5-it's grossly overpriced for what you get, 6-I could keep going but I think you get the gist.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:15 PM
Billasher93@gmail.com
6th Gear
Default Glossary

Great info. Always new about this stuff but never really paid attention to it.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:22 AM
90PROFX
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinions on the use of (as an example) POLY-PLANAR 7 1/8" SPEAKER BACK COVERS (hard plastic not foam) to enhance audio/bass in a R/Glide Fairing setup. It seems that it would help but I'm no expert, opinions please........................

Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 PM
rochman
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well so far all this is over my head but as I get ready to Purchase and install a new stereo I will have it followed to your advice , etc , Thanks.

Quick Reply: Audio System FAQ's