Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Stereo changing channels by itself (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/1033316-stereo-changing-channels-by-itself.html)

fightingmajor 03-16-2015 04:15 PM

Stereo changing channels by itself

I have a problem to where all of a sudden, my radio changes channels all by itself. It always goes backwards which is extremely annoying. I thought that my radio might have gotten wet and there was a problem with that and after swapping it out I'm still having the same issues. I am using an aftermarket Kenwood with the Hawg Wired radio controls to use the stock controls. This happens if my bike is not even running. I've tried to wiggle the switch and nothing happens so it does not appear to be a loose switch. It will work fine for a little bit and then all of a sudden changes the channels or starts the song over non stop. I can't even make it through one song without it starting over. Basically the only option I've had is to plug in an aux cable and just play from my phone that way. Anyone have this issue before or have any suggestions?

z71_fourwheelin 03-16-2015 04:23 PM

Check your handlebar wiring. I had a pinched wire once and it did that with the volume.

fightingmajor 03-16-2015 04:36 PM

I've checked what I can. I could see if it was a pinched wire or something and when I hit bumps and it changes, but not when the the bike is not moving at all or running.

z71_fourwheelin 03-16-2015 04:40 PM

Try unpluggin the right handlebar harness and then turn your ignition on and see if the radio does it

z71_fourwheelin 03-16-2015 04:42 PM

My terminology might be off but the switches work off ?resistance? and once it's pinched it continues to think it needs to make a change, bike running or not.

fightingmajor 03-16-2015 06:06 PM

I'll try that. Just makes me mad that I can't enjoy my stereo. I'm really hoping it's pinched where it's easily accessible and I don't have to have the whole bars rewired.

murph 03-16-2015 09:50 PM

If you internally wired your handle bars, then the wires might have been cut in the process and might be grounding against the bike. That might cause it to switch channels. Even if it did not do it at the start, it could have been just waiting to happen. I have had similar issues with alarm systems when I had to run wires inside metal conduit. I could be wrong. Just a thought.

ALUCARD19 03-17-2015 06:14 AM

I have the same problem with my Kenwood HU X798 when I play songs through my USB with a memory stick a song will start and play 5-10 seconds and then restart again I have rechecked my wiring twice, and all is good I think it might be between the Kenwood HU and the Hawg-Wired HUA360 control unit.
I will keep you updated if I find a solution.
But right now it is a PITA.

camsmith 03-17-2015 07:18 AM

I've had the same problem with my Alpine CDE-HD 149BT and I also use the Hawg Wired HUA360. So far I've swapped the 360 with another unit and unplugged the wire harness to the right handlebars & problem remains. It did not show up with the stock head unit only after it was swapped. I'm just sticking with Pandora (won't let you repeat a song even if you want to) or Zumo 665 through AUX until I can figure out the problem. Have narrowed it down to a problem with the Pink & White and/or Brown & White wires.

Once with the stock head unit my volume control would go up & down on its own and that culprit was good ole broken fairing brackets had rubbed on wiring harness....another thing y'all can check.

ALUCARD19 03-17-2015 08:03 AM

I have sent off emails to both Hawg-Wired and V-Twin Audio (bought mine from V-Twin Audio) and am waiting on their reply's to this problem.
Will keep you all informed if I get any response from either one.