Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo changing channels by itself

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stereo changing channels by itself

I have a problem to where all of a sudden, my radio changes channels all by itself. It always goes backwards which is extremely annoying. I thought that my radio might have gotten wet and there was a problem with that and after swapping it out I'm still having the same issues. I am using an aftermarket Kenwood with the Hawg Wired radio controls to use the stock controls. This happens if my bike is not even running. I've tried to wiggle the switch and nothing happens so it does not appear to be a loose switch. It will work fine for a little bit and then all of a sudden changes the channels or starts the song over non stop. I can't even make it through one song without it starting over. Basically the only option I've had is to plug in an aux cable and just play from my phone that way. Anyone have this issue before or have any suggestions?

Old 03-16-2015, 04:23 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your handlebar wiring. I had a pinched wire once and it did that with the volume.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:36 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer

I've checked what I can. I could see if it was a pinched wire or something and when I hit bumps and it changes, but not when the the bike is not moving at all or running.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain

Try unpluggin the right handlebar harness and then turn your ignition on and see if the radio does it

Old 03-16-2015, 04:42 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain

My terminology might be off but the switches work off ?resistance? and once it's pinched it continues to think it needs to make a change, bike running or not.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer

I'll try that. Just makes me mad that I can't enjoy my stereo. I'm really hoping it's pinched where it's easily accessible and I don't have to have the whole bars rewired.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If you internally wired your handle bars, then the wires might have been cut in the process and might be grounding against the bike. That might cause it to switch channels. Even if it did not do it at the start, it could have been just waiting to happen. I have had similar issues with alarm systems when I had to run wires inside metal conduit. I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 AM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my Kenwood HU X798 when I play songs through my USB with a memory stick a song will start and play 5-10 seconds and then restart again I have rechecked my wiring twice, and all is good I think it might be between the Kenwood HU and the Hawg-Wired HUA360 control unit.
I will keep you updated if I find a solution.
But right now it is a PITA.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same problem with my Alpine CDE-HD 149BT and I also use the Hawg Wired HUA360. So far I've swapped the 360 with another unit and unplugged the wire harness to the right handlebars & problem remains. It did not show up with the stock head unit only after it was swapped. I'm just sticking with Pandora (won't let you repeat a song even if you want to) or Zumo 665 through AUX until I can figure out the problem. Have narrowed it down to a problem with the Pink & White and/or Brown & White wires.

Once with the stock head unit my volume control would go up & down on its own and that culprit was good ole broken fairing brackets had rubbed on wiring harness....another thing y'all can check.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 AM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sent off emails to both Hawg-Wired and V-Twin Audio (bought mine from V-Twin Audio) and am waiting on their reply's to this problem.
Will keep you all informed if I get any response from either one.

Quick Reply: Stereo changing channels by itself