Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio replacement recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank
Sony does make a DSX-M50BT that doesn't have a CD player at a less expensive price, which I might go with that one. I like the one Gannicus suggested it just lacks the marine grade, as far as models are concerned I don't know the difference between the other features one has over the other. Although adding the cover you probably wouldn't need to have a marine grade. I imagine with the cover on it would be hard seeing the display.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Gonna stick around here more often.
Only downside to the DSX-M50BT is the 2v pre out. 4v to 5v is the forum recommendation.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Only downside to the DSX-M50BT is the 2v pre out. 4v to 5v is the forum recommendation.

good to know. thanks for the input very much appreciated.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Yep..that's why I was leaning towards the other marine unit also...5v preouts. Paired with a BT2180 and 7P1 speakers, I should finally be happy with the stereo.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Default update

Just to update this in case anyone wondered what happened.

I ended up purchasing a Sony MEX-M70BT (this is the marine grade radio) along with a scosche handlebar adapter kit and a scosche adapter plate. First let me say the instructions for the plate have something to be desired, so trial and error I had the radio mounted in my RG in two hours time . Next came the wiring which was pretty straight forward, I already knew this kit does not include the rear speakers working with this and that it needed to be directly wired. So I had 7 wires coming off the back of the radio to match up with the scosche handle bar kit. This kit eliminates the rear speaker wires because those wires runs in conjunction with the cb connector which is eliminated in this kit. Now let me back up some, when I first bought the bike I purchased a hogtunes 4 channel amp and speakers system. Remembering this I knew I had run additional wires to all the speakers for the amp, so my thinking was just find the original speaker wires at the cb connector and just hook up the Sony rear speaker radio wires. It worked. Sound out of all 4 speakers and sounded good in the driveway.

On my test drive on the highway I found the sound and clarity not to be as good as my Harley radio. I am fairly sure I have all +/- speaker wires hooked up correctly. I haven't had a chance to play with the radio all that much but feel this radio is a down grade. Is there something I maybe missing/suggestions?

Thanks for all who had input on this.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

It's not the radio. It's the speakers and the amp my friend.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:18 PM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

an easy way to check polarity of your speakers is with a 9v battery. connect the + wire to the + terminal on the battery, - to -, and if the speaker pushes out your wires are correct. if it pulls in you have them backwards. wiring them backwards will dramatically affect your sound.

i just picked up a pioneer deh-x9600bhs for my ultra. it has bt (phone and streaming), hd radio, cd player, will control apple or android smartphones and ipods, and two usb ports on the rear. i will use one for a thumb drive and the other will charge my phone.

Last edited by nineball; 06-09-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Good to know nineball, thanks for the tip.

Gannicus

Let me pick your brain since you seem to have knowledge.

Why would my speakers and amp be inferior now with another head unit? Like I said in my last post, they sound quality is close but I feel my old radio/speakers/amp sounded clearer at highway speeds.

What suggestions do you have for speakers? Would I need an amp as well or would this radio have enough output that would equal my original radio with my hogtunes speakers and amp?

I really appreciate the help I have received here.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbank
Good to know nineball, thanks for the tip.

Gannicus

Let me pick your brain since you seem to have knowledge.

Why would my speakers and amp be inferior now with another head unit? Like I said in my last post, they sound quality is close but I feel my old radio/speakers/amp sounded clearer at highway speeds.

What suggestions do you have for speakers? Would I need an amp as well or would this radio have enough output that would equal my original radio with my hogtunes speakers and amp?

I really appreciate the help I have received here.
In regard to the head unit I'd say you have not gotten it properly tuned yet if I had to guess. It takes a little time to get it dialed in just right. Trust me it's not the head unit that is inferior. I've installed that very same head unit in 3 bikes over the last month. I liked it so well I purchased one myself. It's a very nice unit.

You are going to need an amp and some new speakers to get the sound you are looking for my friend. Not knowing your budget I can give you two scenarios. It also depends on weather or not you listen to FM on a regular basis. On a budget your best speaker option are going to be the infinity 62.11i speakers with the Cerwin Vega B2 amp for a 2 speaker system. The Cerwin Vega B4 for a 4 speaker system. If you want to upgrade. Biketronics is the way to go.

You will more than likely lose your FM reception with the Cerwin Vega amps or any other class D amp. But the Class D amps are the most efficient amps for our motorcycles because they don't require much voltage from the charging system to operate. At the end of the day it's a trade off. If you want to listen to your tunes loud and clear at 75 mph the class D amps are the way to go.

Getting back to your original question and I always hate to be the guy. But the truth of the matter is the Hog Tunes amp and speakers are inferior to most any other set up out there. Honestly you have the worst possible speakers and amp on your bike that you could have right now. With the exception of the BOOM speakers and amp.

Change the speakers and amp my friend and you will notice a HUGE difference in your sound.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Redbank
Cruiser

Gannicus

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it truly is appreciated. I do listen to FM and cannot afford to lose it. So maybe I need to play around with the radio and I am sure it will be satisfactory for me.

I haven't had a chance to look at anything since my install last Saturday. I am so busy right now trying to finish projects around the house so that I can ride this summer.

The only thing I didn't like about the radio when I drove the bike Saturday night is the glare on the windshield (I have the factory shield on). I did reduce the brightness but still appears. I guess a cover will be coming soon to help this problem out.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:14 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Red,

How do you hook up your amp to the radio, using high level (speaker wire) inputs or the RCA's? If you were using high level inputs before and now are using RCA's you'll need to readjust your gains (most likely turn them up some). Also check your radio settings. My friend has a Kenwood that the default settings maxes out the EQ on every band.

As far as amp goes there's not many that will retain FM that are worth a crap, and the ones that are cost quite a few bucks. If you're interested in an amp down the road shoot me a message, I have two at the house now that would work for you. Gannicus can vouch! LOL

Quick Reply: radio replacement recommendations