Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Boom! Audio Tour-Pak Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Stalkdaddy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Boom! Audio Tour-Pak Amplifier

I have installed the boom audio tour-pack amplifier on my 2008 Ultra Classic. The bike came stock with the rear speaker pods and speakers. I replaced the original speakers a couple years ago with the stage 1 boom audio speakers. The directions for installing the amplifier do not specify what to do with the 2 connector leads that go to the rear speaker pods from the amplifier wiring harness. I am assuming that you plug them into the speakers to power them directly from the amplifier. If i do this however, what happens to the power and ground connectors from the original wiring harness? Do i just leave them disconnected and hanging in the speaker pod? if they touch will they arc?

Thanks. My local Harley service department was unwilling to help me unless i brought the bike in.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:27 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Your amp will have input and output from it, also power and ground, along with a blue wire that should be hot when you turn on the radio. (amp should only be on with radio on) It's really hard to try to help you without knowing what colors the wires are, do you have the means to take a picture and upload it?

I will say this, before others do. The Boom amp isn't your best option with an 08 for sure,, you can do a NICE 4 channel amp and have all four speakers, (Fairing and TP) sounding great!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I will say this, before others do. The Boom amp isn't your best option with an 08 for sure,, you can do a NICE 4 channel amp and have all four speakers, (Fairing and TP) sounding great!
...it was only a matter of time.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Stalkdaddy
Stage IV

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Your amp will have input and output from it, also power and ground, along with a blue wire that should be hot when you turn on the radio. (amp should only be on with radio on) It's really hard to try to help you without knowing what colors the wires are, do you have the means to take a picture and upload it?

The Harley amp comes with its own wiring harness. The harness goes from the amp all the way to the front of the bike into the fairing. The harness branches off for the rear speaker pods then branches off again at the battery compartment for the positive and negative connections before continuing into the fairing. Inside the fairing you have to separate a molex connector and install two additional wires then reconnect the molex plug. You remove the power and grounds that go to the front speakers and connect the power and ground from the new harness. The original harness plugs that went to the speakers then install into 4 spade terminals (2 for each speaker).

My problem is with the rear speakers. There are two replacement connectors for each rear speaker pod. I assume these connect to the rear speakers to replace the original power and ground from the original wiring harness on the bike. I am trying to figure out what then happens to those original power and ground connectors that went to the rear speakers. There isn't a set of spade terminal to connect them into like the front speakers. If i just disconnect them and leave them hanging my fear is that if they ever touch they would arc if power is still flowing through them. I guess I could just tape them up but I mostly want to make sure I am installing it right before I take it to Harley to get the stereo flashed. The instructions for installation aren't clear on how to make the rear connection. Actually, they don't even say to make the rear connections. Just says to route the wires to the pods.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Stalkdaddy
Stage IV

As far as choosing the Harley amp... I wanted something as plug and play as I could get. It was easy to install... except for my question above. I can easily remove it and sell it when I get rid of my bike. I also did not want an amplifier mounted inside of my tour pack.