Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"To Port or Not to Port"? That's the question. (Rushmore fairing pods)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool "To Port or Not to Port"? That's the question. (Rushmore fairing pods)

After reading most of the 2,157 post on the 2014+ Audio Upgrade thread, as well as several other threads, I'm unsure of whether or not to drill holes (ports/vents) in my fairing pods. There's also a lot of discussion about poly-fill inside the pods, as well as lining the inside of the pods with Dynomat.

Since the Rushmore bikes have been out for over 3 years, what's the consensus on how to deal with the pods, for the best sound quality (other than removing them)?

I'll be installing a Soundstream PN4.520D & a pair of speakers mounted on the outside of the pods in the next week or so. I want to be pointed in the right direction.

Operators are standing by to take your call.

Last edited by WestTexasRanger; 12-15-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I started with a set of Moto 602s and also had a set of Focal EC165Ks in the fairing while I still had the pods. Started off with the 602s in the pods uncut, then I cut a 3" vent, and then added polyfil. The Moto's got better with each step.

When i got the EC165Ks i first added them to the inside of the pods with the polyfil and 3" vent, closed up the vents, and then finally removed the pods. These speakers really loved being free with the BT brackets. I personally feel the Motos sounded the best in the vented pods with polyfil.

So in my experience with the pods vs vented/polyfil, and BT brackets it has been a speaker to speaker decision. Definitely start with the pain in the a$$ pods and go from there. Save the cut outs from the vents incase you like the sound better without the vent. Might sound better uncut with polyfil, just have to experiment. I don't think I've seen those Cresendos used here and I can't tell you with 100% certainty what they'll like best. I'm sure others will chime in.

As far as the sound deadener it got rid of some of the vibrations that came along with stronger speakers. As far as sounding better I think it helped (and I'm not about to peel it all off for comparison and find out I want to put it back on lol).

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails "To Port or Not to Port"? That's the question. (Rushmore fairing pods)-screenshot_20161215-232213.jpg   "To Port or Not to Port"? That's the question. (Rushmore fairing pods)-screenshot_20161215-232147.jpg   "To Port or Not to Port"? That's the question. (Rushmore fairing pods)-screenshot_20161215-232119.jpg  

Last edited by matt76cmich; 12-15-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 389 Posts

If you have a shark seal the pods and run them.
If you have a batwing spend the $$ and get the BT brackets.
I have tried the polyfil and porting with infinity kappa62.11, HERTZ HCX165 and ARC Moto 602s and found that they sounded better out of the pods to my ears.

Everyone hears the same sound different so this is just my .02

The following users liked this post:
PhDr. (09-03-2020)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:41 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

And the difference of opinions didn't take long lol. Gotta use your ear and see what you like best.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Start off with a 3/8 to 1/2" drill bit and drill about 6-8 holes in each pod. No need for giant port. If it improves the sound then add a few more holes. If the speaks don't like the holes, regardless of what speaks u try in there, some duct tape solves the problem.

If u go all in, BT brackets are the best way to go with Dynamat on the outer fairing and some FAST Rings standing by should the speaks need a little security blanket.

It all depends on the speak.

T.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

WTR,

If you are running coaxial speakers port the pods those speakers mentioned above move some air. If you are running Pro Audio Speakers keep the pods solid with no holes it will improve low freq response.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My experience has been about the same as Matt and I am running just behind him with my modifications on my SGS batwing. I have a pair of the BT brackets ready to install after the holidays. I ported the pods as T described with 6, 1/2 inch holes in each pod with loose poly fill. I have tried several pairs of speakers and as I went up in speaker quality they seemed to like the porting (tighter bass).

Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Bama J
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm running the SS PN4.520 to a set of Hertz HCX165's. First installed with polyfill and no holes in the pods. They sounded fine but I was curious, so I drilled 3 1 inch holes in the pods and they liked it. Gave them a little fuller sound. So I drilled 3 more 1 inch holes. They liked it even more. Just my experience, haven't tried any other speakers.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:39 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
WTR,

If you are running coaxial speakers port the pods those speakers mentioned above move some air. If you are running Pro Audio Speakers keep the pods solid with no holes it will improve low freq response.
Would poly-fill be beneficial with the solid pods?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Chatted with Haze about this a bit and his expanded explanation made perfect sense. In cave man speak, it's really about speaker execution or how much the woof moves in and out during the dance. Deep excursion moves more air thus the speaker needs some air to move (port holes). PA speakers run in the higher freq ranges thus not much excursion thus no need to move much air and sound better in enclosures.
A good example that might be a familiar product to many folks is the ARC Moto products. Those damn things dance thus need some air to move and porting or eliminating the pods would be in order.

T.

The following users liked this post:
Gannicus (12-16-2016)

Quick Reply: "To Port or Not to Port"? That's the question. (Rushmore fairing pods)