Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Are you a fan of upgrading the rear pod speakers?

It's been years since I did a rear pod upgrade and perhaps I was using the wrong speakers, amp or combination of both.

Please don't ask me what it was, as I can hardly remember the names of my kids. lol
Never had pods so not mich help there. I know the Polk mm 651 used to be a fav of ganns. I would focus om both pods and consider speaker lids. If the aw are still not loud enough I would consider jumping to the pro audio bandwagon and add some rear to retain some low end. Its all about system balance but still keeping the front stage primary focus of volume.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
$300.00?? Who did you get that hell of a deal from, lol.....

WTR, keep checking the classified buddy. Folks are getting rid of stuff daily at great prices.
I'm with bunker on his choice or the arc 600.4.
You know with your hearing loss a you already have, uh I have a prediction that if you keep using the ante you may be losing more.....
yea, some cool dude hooked me up Rick I'm sure the same deal is around here somewhere for you too. If I can get my front stage to sound somewhere near as good as yours I may never put my tour pack on again even though I bought speakers for it and plan to drive it with the other half of the arc. I promise this is not another hijack WTR, this question could serve you well too. Have any of you gurus had a go at making a mini patch bay to switch from bridged to a front stage to 4 channel operation on the fly? Is it even possible or would the input gains have to change too dramatically.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Imo you are wasting time and money to increase power in the wrong area. 150 watts is good for that set. If BAL comes and says run 200 then so be it , but it would have been suggested from the beginning. T is plenty happy with his at 150. Until you accept the rear stage or lowers need added the extra watts you will put there will have a negligible difference. Rule of thumb is double the power to gain 3db in volume.
that last point drives it home, I've seen that in guys guitar rigs over the years. Want more sound pressure you need more speakers or more efficient ones.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

WTR: before I purchased another amp I would bump the JL up to 150-160 watts.

As far as tourpak speakers go you don't know what you're missing! If you can fit another JL amp under the faring and a good pair of speakers you will be able to hear them at any speed. I currently have the BT amp and Milli pros back there. They will need the V-Twin adapters thou. From what I hear the Focal 165 KRC work very well if not better. Another option are the Hertz HCX 165's with 1/2" spacers. SF has a pair for sale in the classifieds.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:29 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Bertk - I've already got the MHX gains bumped up to 25.3 volts, so it's producing 160 watts + or -.

It may indeed be time to consider upgrading the rear stage, instead of just throwing more power at the front speakers. I'll need to see if another MHX will fit inside the fairing. If it will, I'll definitely need another BT355, in addition to rear speakers and possibly adapters to fit them in the pods.

What's the general consensus of splicing & dicing the wiring harness in the fairing for access to the rear speaker wires versus getting the BT Break-out Harness? I really hate cutting factory wires.

I guess that another option (I can't believe I'm saying this) would be to mount the amp & BT355 in the tourpack.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Bertk - I've already got the MHX gains bumped up to 25.3 volts, so it's producing 160 watts + or -.

It may indeed be time to consider upgrading the rear stage, instead of just throwing more power at the front speakers. I'll need to see if another MHX will fit inside the fairing. If it will, I'll definitely need another BT355, in addition to rear speakers and possibly adapters to fit them in the pods.
If another MHX doesn't fit the NVX should. Or mount the MHX as T did in the pic below.

What's the general consensus of splicing & dicing the wiring harness in the fairing for access to the rear speaker wires versus getting the BT Break-out Harness? I really hate cutting factory wires.
I spliced into the harness two years ago long before the BOH came out without issue. It's not a big deal, just a little time consuming.

Code:
Pin      Color         Speaker
K1       LBE           RR +
K2       LBE/BK        RR -
J1       LBE/O         LR +
H1       BE/GY         LR -
The wrap on the harness is self stick and can be peeled back and reused.
Cut each of the wires above.
Solder a 16ga length of wire to each one of the cut wires (color coded for + & -) long enough to reach the amp inputs or Universal Line Levelers in this case and to the speaker outputs on the amp.
Apply shrink to each connection.
Apply shrink to each pair of wires and label them.
Reapply the wrap and tape the end.

The four wires coming from the plug on the harness will connect to the Universal LL.
The other four wires will connect to the speaker outputs on the amp.

Attached Thumbnails Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.-index.jpg   Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.-rear-speaker-wires-1.jpg   Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.-rear-speaker-wires-2.jpg   Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.-rear-speaker-wires-3.jpg   Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.-jl-mhx280-mount.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
WestTexasRanger (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:52 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

If u gonna spend any money on an amp u might as well get a 4 channel for the tray and bridge it then side mount the MHX 280 and use that for the rears. Plenty of amps avail for the tray from the $100 Soundstream to the DD D4 up to the $300 JL MX 500/4.
Then get simple coax for the rear depending what ur ears and wallet want. The AD 2100 might be a good play. Motos? Polls? BT?
This will get u the 200w to the AWs and 150w for the TP pods.

T.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 467 Likes on 307 Posts

I think I've read ALL of your posts and know that the TM400x2 is one of your all-time favorite amps.

It's on my short list, but I'd have to find a used one, in order to make it work with my budget.

Since it's an AD Class amp - Does it kill FM reception?
The TM (this is the marine version) does NOT kill FM but the T version might.

There is a thread somewhere where the Fosgate guy explains the difference between the TM and T and some kind of shielding in the TM version.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Took another 2 hour ride yesterday to keep breaking in my AW6.5/BT30s and AD CX62s in the rear, being pushed by the Bt4180. Let me tell you, this is starting to sound better and better as they break in. I do not find any harshness in the BT30s, so I think you will like those.

For the rear, those AD CXs are fantastic! Loud! They perfectly compliment the AWs and fill out the sound stage. Though the AWs are the primary source when flying down 80mph, I have toggled between just the fronts and both front/rear and, call me crazy, but I can hear a difference when moving down the road. Parked, no question the AW CXs in the rear add to the sound and make it really shine.

On power, I was thinking just the same thing last night. At one point I had the volume maxed out on the Boom 6.5 and it seemed the speakers all wanted and could have taken more power. But, I am going to leave it as is for a while.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
If another MHX doesn't fit the NVX should. Or mount the MHX as T did in the pic below.
I checked-out the NVX MVPA4 and it's conservatively rated at 175 watts @ 4 ohms - bridged. Is it a "warm" amp and how does the sound quality compare to the JL-MHX?

Quick Reply: Time to step-up the power to my system - Seeking your Input.