Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing 2013 to M8 Biketronics

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:28 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Changing 2013 to M8 Biketronics

In my 2013 Ultra Limited I had a Biketronics amp with batwing speakers and lower fairing speakers. Great sound even at 80 MPH. Unfortunately a friend rear ended me while riding Jelico Mountain and totaled my ride. I'm starting to shop for a new bike and looking at 2017 or 2018. My question for you Audio Gurus how much of my old system can I use on an M8? What about the the lowers?
Also suggestions are appreciated.
Bill

Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

You'll need to get the BT pod eliminator brackets to put those or any speakers into a Rushmore batwing. Your amp will work no problem but you will also need a BT line leveler to flatten the processed signal from the Rushmore infotainment HU. I can't speak to the lowers unfortunately. Sorry to hear about your bike, let us know when you pick out the new one
and what your plans are

The following users liked this post:
paid4c4 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Easily changed: but it will cost you!

Bear in mind: to update for an install on a Rushmore bike, the pieces can get pricey: the speaker brackets alone are $250. However, the amp is essentially the same (seems they've updated the power/ground connections from the older spring-lock arrangement), so you're ahead of the game by swapping it over. I did this same sort of swap last year: I moved my BT4180 from my 2011 Street Glide to my 2015 Ultra.

If you have the BT4180 and are going to buy a Rushmore Ultra, the items you need to update your current BT4180 to the Rushmore-specific "BT4180.14" Ultra amp kit are the Biketronics Break Out Connector (BOC) and two BT-355 line-levelers (one each for the F/R channels). If you're running a BT2180 (even in parallel), then you'd only need one BT-355. The BOC is not used with the BT2180.14 kit because obviously that amp isn't set up for rear speakers, so you don't have fade control. The BT2180 uses the front factory speaker outputs to feed the BT355 and you'd run your own speaker leads off the amp. The BOC enables an Ultra install to connect to the factory harness for both the fairing and Tour Pak speakers with no cutting/splicing/re-routing or running new wires to feed the BT355s or the factory speaker locations. Oh yeah: remember to take your amp turn-on harness off your current bike (I didn't!). Of course, the speaker brackets are a must: and you can install pretty much any speakers you may have using them. At least you won't require any dealer flashing of the head unit for specific amps/speaker counts when you use the BT355(s).

At any rate, without knowing which BT amp you have, here's the link on the Biketronics site for the Ultra specific BOC/BT355s standalone package. Here's the link for the speaker brackets. And lastly, you also might want to grab their amp tray while you're at it. These items weren't on their site last spring: but I called them and they happily put together the parts I'd need to make the swap.

Might want to check the Vendor Classifieds- see if BT is running any sort of special right now. Best bet is to simply call and see if they offer a forum discount (I don't recall if they do or not). And if you're a Veteran, I'm pretty sure they give a Veterans discount; at least they did for me last spring.

The following users liked this post:
paid4c4 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:02 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the response. I think I have the 2180 I'll look and get back.
Bill

Originally Posted by vhmike73
Bear in mind: to update for an install on a Rushmore bike, the pieces can get pricey: the speaker brackets alone are $250. However, the amp is essentially the same (seems they've updated the power/ground connections from the older spring-lock arrangement), so you're ahead of the game by swapping it over. I did this same sort of swap last year: I moved my BT4180 from my 2011 Street Glide to my 2015 Ultra.

If you have the BT4180 and are going to buy a Rushmore Ultra, the items you need to update your current BT4180 to the Rushmore-specific "BT4180.14" Ultra amp kit are the Biketronics Break Out Connector (BOC) and two BT-355 line-levelers (one each for the F/R channels). If you're running a BT2180 (even in parallel), then you'd only need one BT-355. The BOC is not used with the BT2180.14 kit because obviously that amp isn't set up for rear speakers, so you don't have fade control. The BT2180 uses the front factory speaker outputs to feed the BT355 and you'd run your own speaker leads off the amp. The BOC enables an Ultra install to connect to the factory harness for both the fairing and Tour Pak speakers with no cutting/splicing/re-routing or running new wires to feed the BT355s or the factory speaker locations. Oh yeah: remember to take your amp turn-on harness off your current bike (I didn't!). Of course, the speaker brackets are a must: and you can install pretty much any speakers you may have using them. At least you won't require any dealer flashing of the head unit for specific amps/speaker counts when you use the BT355(s).

At any rate, without knowing which BT amp you have, here's the link on the Biketronics site for the Ultra specific BOC/BT355s standalone package. Here's the link for the speaker brackets. And lastly, you also might want to grab their amp tray while you're at it. These items weren't on their site last spring: but I called them and they happily put together the parts I'd need to make the swap.

Might want to check the Vendor Classifieds- see if BT is running any sort of special right now. Best bet is to simply call and see if they offer a forum discount (I don't recall if they do or not). And if you're a Veteran, I'm pretty sure they give a Veterans discount; at least they did for me last spring.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:15 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

There are several speakers that'll fit in you speaker pods. Reach out to Alex on here and he can hook you up

Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

paid4c4 ,,,,,

whatever way you end up going "I" am NOT a fan of eliminating the stock Harley speaker pod enclosures ,,,,,

there are a lot of good 6.5"-6.7" speakers out there now, including the J&M ROKKERs, that will fit properly to the Harley in-fairing acoustic speaker pods ,,,,

the Harley acoustic pods will also provide some decent level of bass response with the proper radio flash and amplifier adjustments ,,,,,