Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go louder with tweeter pods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:20 PM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Gann,

"In my mind distortion is the enemy So my whole thing is to totally eliminate distortion so the system sounds clean and powerful."

Great Point!! and think a bunch of people miss this point, especially with their music source.

"Make sure your amp is capable of producing twice the RMS of your speakers."

Surprised by this point. I find it hard with bike audio to achieve anymore than 70-80% overage.

"IMO Next level stuff like DSP's are not necessary on a bike unless you're competing. The average daily rider doesn't need it."

But with stock HU's would you say it is worth using to get rid of the line levelers?

Last edited by BaggerBill103; 12-22-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Bro, I can only tell you what works well for me. I don't compete so my tuning skills are limited to the Amp crossovers, EQ Bands on the radio, RTA and pink noise. That's all I use. In my mind distortion is the enemy So my whole thing is to totally eliminate distortion so the system sounds clean and powerful. I don't have any big secrets to share. Basic tuning 101 bro. My best advice to anyone would be to keep the gains low as possible and tune the HU at 80-85 percent volume and adjust each EQ band according to the speakers you're running. Make sure your amp is capable of producing twice the RMS of your speakers. Always better to have it and not need it!!At the end of the day like I've always maintained. Your best tool is going to be your ears. Make adjustments until your ears like what they hear. It's that simple for me. IMO Next level stuff like DSP's are not necessary on a bike unless you're competing. The average daily rider doesn't need it.
G, get a DSP man!!!! With the complexity of your setup u r leaving a ton of good audio on the table.

Imho, a DSP will elevate your game with 6 or more higher tier and/or aggressive speakers involved, especially the Rushmore gang.

With a properly tuned DSP, any complex system becomes a completely different animal.

T.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
G, get a DSP man!!!! With the complexity of your setup u r leaving a ton of good audio on the table.

Imho, a DSP will elevate your game with 6 or more higher tier and/or aggressive speakers involved, especially the Rushmore gang.

With a properly tuned DSP, any complex system becomes a completely different animal.

T.
Ha! Thanks T! I'll get around to it. I'm still Pre-Rushmore but I do run a lot of speakers!! Probably way too many!! Lol! I did a set up for a guy last week with a set of fairing speakers, B3 Horns, JL 600/6 and one set of 10's in the bags and I was blown away on how good that bike sounded with 4 speakers and a set of horns. I do see a DSP in my future though. I'm gonna need two!! Lol!!

Old 12-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BaggerBill103
Gann,

"In my mind distortion is the enemy So my whole thing is to totally eliminate distortion so the system sounds clean and powerful."

Great Point!! and think a bunch of people miss this point, especially with their music source.

"Make sure your amp is capable of producing twice the RMS of your speakers."

Surprised by this point. I find it hard with bike audio to achieve anymore than 70-80% overage.

"IMO Next level stuff like DSP's are not necessary on a bike unless you're competing. The average daily rider doesn't need it."

But with stock HU's would you say it is worth using to get rid of the line levelers?
Jus one of my rules Bagger. If I have speakers rated 75 RMS @ 4 ohms. I want an amp that will produce 150w @ 4 ohms. Doesn't mean I have to use it but I like to be flexible with my headroom. If you run an amp that only produces 75 watts with 75 RMS speakers. It's not gonna sound very good.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:51 PM
azmaniac
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I get what your saying with that Gann but it seems you also love that jl 600/6...now I've heard dudes do amazing things with that amp but it throws me off isn't it rated at 75x6 and something like 100x6 bridged??

Old 12-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by azmaniac
I get what your saying with that Gann but it seems you also love that jl 600/6...now I've heard dudes do amazing things with that amp but it throws me off isn't it rated at 75x6 and something like 100x6 bridged??
All watts are not created equal. Lol!! A couple things. 1. That amp is underrated.
2. Its CLEAN Power. 3. As the sensitivity of the speaker rises, The rules change. High sensitivity speakers don't need very much power to get loud. You can have an extremely loud bike with 100 watts and the right speakers. And yes Sir! The JL 600/6 is my favorite amp and believe me I've had a few!!

Old 12-22-2017, 04:58 PM
azmaniac
Tourer

Well I've taken your advice so far and it worked great..i did a set of those db motos bridged to my lil jl 280 and those lil speakers are awesome!!! Black Friday I got a hold of creative audio after we were messaging and I picked up a 600/6 they gave me for 300..it is of course a refurb but he'll of a price...i read a post it may of been tailwind that said a 600/6 can fit in fairing not sure if they were talking bout rushmore tho...IF SO that would be amazing...now just cause I got some down time in gonna do some pa up front. Really thought about messin with a set of SP audio and see how they do...id really like to hear em first but had no luck..just looking for a non harsh set with some good lil punch.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:07 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

It fits in a Rushmore fairing on the J&M mount for certain. Haze says with the right trimming it'll fit on the stock tray.
How to go louder with tweeter pods?-photo83.jpg

Old 12-22-2017, 05:22 PM
azmaniac
Tourer

Well I'll be damn...now I'll have power for whatever...well my dumb *** sold my twisted 8 lids to come up with the rest of the money needed for my whole body kit now I guess I need to decide what to do with the rear of the bike. Before i run and get a bunch of **** from stores...whos got what for sale?? I've got moneyyy and I'm open to ideas...FRESH START..all I got is my stock head unit (I'm rokker stage 4 flash) and a jl audio 600/6 amp...lets have some fun with it...what should I put in the fairing...and in the lids...i can come up with another set of any lids real easy if needed!!

Old 12-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by azmaniac
Well I've taken your advice so far and it worked great..i did a set of those db motos bridged to my lil jl 280 and those lil speakers are awesome!!! Black Friday I got a hold of creative audio after we were messaging and I picked up a 600/6 they gave me for 300..it is of course a refurb but he'll of a price...i read a post it may of been tailwind that said a 600/6 can fit in fairing not sure if they were talking bout rushmore tho...IF SO that would be amazing...now just cause I got some down time in gonna do some pa up front. Really thought about messin with a set of SP audio and see how they do...id really like to hear em first but had no luck..just looking for a non harsh set with some good lil punch.
If you go Pro audio with the JL amp. You want the PRV's or the Beyma's. Tried many pro audio speakers from eminence to DS18's. MMATS included. Nothing beats those PRV's Bro. keep in mind all the pro audio set ups will need larger mid bass speakers and horns to sound good. If you're not willing to go full boar. Don't mess with it. Stay with components and coaxials.

Quick Reply: How to go louder with tweeter pods?