Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accidental rain test of Sony XAV-AX5000

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There are a lot of waterproofing coatings for circuit boards,etc.

Im researching different options. Looks like it would work great for all the internal stuff, just figuring out options that can be sprayed on the glass, to seal screen edges,etc.

Stuff like NanoProtech, MG Chemicals Conformal coating, etc
i would have to void warranty to disassemble unit, warranty would be voided if it got wet anyway.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
There are a lot of waterproofing coatings for circuit boards,etc.

Im researching different options. Looks like it would work great for all the internal stuff, just figuring out options that can be sprayed on the glass, to seal screen edges,etc.

Stuff like NanoProtech, MG Chemicals Conformal coating, etc
i would have to void warranty to disassemble unit, warranty would be voided if it got wet anyway.
I opened mine. It is 1 small screw on the back and the top opens up. no void sticker or no way they could detect it being opened. There is not a lot of circuitry on the inside, it's basically hollow with a board on the bottom.

Smitty

Old 08-18-2018, 07:22 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Smittyjf
I put vinyl around the edges where the screen meets the plastic bezel. This seems where the moisture could get in and get behind the lcd screen. The lines in the screen are from taking the pic with a phone not from the damage. Everything is back to normal.

Smitty

Smitty, Thanks for the update. Hopefully this will put some folk mind at ease.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

I am interested in this system, can anyone post pics of the entire unit installed a view from the riders position and comment on the installation process and difficulty.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Jpluisi
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Talked to RF last week and their new HU is 9-12 mo. out. I should know more as it gets closer.
When you say RF are you referring to Rockford Fosgate? I wasn't aware they made HU's. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:32 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

The only reason I'd get rid of a perfectly good Boom Box HU is if it dramatically improves the quality of the stereo. Does the Sony do that? I replaced the stock HK on my 2011, with a Sony (some discontinued HU for $79.99) and the difference in music quality was like night & day. It was definitely much better.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The Boom and the Sony are in two different leagues. The Boom is T-ball compared to the big league Sony. I have a review/comparison thread somewhere here.

Bottom-line is its not for everyone. Just like there's guys who will never install an aftermarket cam, let alone do serious engine work. Not to mention some guys just can't afford to lose a 500 dollar head unit to rain, that's perfectly understandable.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:57 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
The only reason I'd get rid of a perfectly good Boom Box HU is if it dramatically improves the quality of the stereo. Does the Sony do that? I replaced the stock HK on my 2011, with a Sony (some discontinued HU for $79.99) and the difference in music quality was like night & day. It was definitely much better.
Pretty much the same with the boom and sony now. The boom is manufactured by HK too. With the boom, you either need a line leveler or a dsp in play to curve the drastic bin file eq from the boom. Even with having the boom flashed, it just doesn't sound good without a LL or dsp. I tried several different flashes (paying for them) to try to get it satisfactory to run with out the LL and for me the 0amp/4 channel is still the best flash but requires a LL or dsp. The sony sounded MUCH better the min I installed it without even tuning the 10 band eq for my speakers.

Bottom line is Respect is right about the sound difference and the sony isn't waterproof. Juice and others have waterproofed theirs and I will do mine too. Keep the boom and learn how to tune a dsp or a LL or get a sony, waterproof it and be done with it.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 11-04-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 PM
mmats69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are people liking this that have it installed? Was thinking of going this route since I just upgraded my speakers.

I noticed biketronics has has released a kit using this radio that is waterproof. Video in description of unit.

Link for research http://www.biketronics.com/sony-xav-...ushmore-radio/

Old 11-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I have one and like it. To get the BT waterproof box you have to order the ax5000 from them because they built it as a unit.

Quick Reply: Accidental rain test of Sony XAV-AX5000