Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Ultra Classic...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 PM
UltraJerry
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
Aftermarket hu-$200 ish sony, kenwood or pioneer, look for a marine model
Stinger 700/4 amp -$250 ish or a soundstream pn4-1000d - (under $200) (additiona
handlebar interface module and radio cradle - $100 ish
wires, inline fuses, etc - $30 ish
that leaves almost $425 for speakers, and thats a lot to play with for 4 speakers.
I m sure you will get plenty of suggestions for viable coax or component type speakers in that price range from the guys on here.
are those head units better than the aquatic av models and worth the adding of the interface module and cradle?

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraJerry
are those head units better than the aquatic av models and worth the adding of the interface module and cradle?
Absolutely worth it. You can find a Metra mount and ASWC-1 control for around $80 combined. There are others like Scosche, Hawg Wired and Biketronics to name a few that all work well. The Aquatics doesn't offer very much to the tuning aspect at all. I wouldn't get hung up on buying a Marine unit either. With a splash cover to put over the HU like the ones Biketronics sells you can run any HU you like.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:23 PM
UltraJerry
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SBates08
Absolutely worth it. You can find a Metra mount and ASWC-1 control for around $80 combined. There are others like Scosche, Hawg Wired and Biketronics to name a few that all work well. The Aquatics doesn't offer very much to the tuning aspect at all. I wouldn't get hung up on buying a Marine unit either. With a splash cover to put over the HU like the ones Biketronics sells you can run any HU you like.
do you still use the stock controls?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

do you still use the stock controls?
yes, there are modules that connect inline to retain your thumb controls

Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 725 Likes on 571 Posts

Definetly do not buy the Aquatic head unit!!!! Junk at any price. The Metra install kit previously mentioned comes with a weather cover and works well. you can get a great quality head unit and install kit for less than the Aquatic unit.
then choose amp AND speakers.
m

Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 PM
UltraJerry
Intermediate

1 Head Unit
4 front speakers
6 lower speaker holders
7 lower speakers
5 rear speakers
3 amp
2 mount and controler
1 wires, connectors

anything else needed?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

1 Head Unit
4 front speakers
6 lower speaker holders
7 lower speakers
5 rear speakers
3 amp
2 mount and controler
1 wires, connectors

anything else needed?
that sounds like a damn good start.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM
UltraJerry
Intermediate

From what I'm gathering, Head unit, mounts, controls, and Amp are what I should be planning to get first.

I want the head unit and amp suitable to run all six speakers. I would like it all to fit in the fairing so I don't lose storage space. If this runs over the 1000 phase one budget that's OK, as long as with this and the 6 speakers I stay around 2k total I'm happy. From what I see the speaker and lower pod adapters budget should be about 1-1.2k, so this portion should be 800- 1k. if you have alternate opinions/setups please share. I take all suggestions and research them to get my own opinion, and I really appreciate the input as I have no experience with a motorcycle setup.

Can I get opinions of HU and Amp that will set me up for great sound once I add the 6 speakers? I don't need a CD player. Bluetooth a must, and Sirius would be nice, but I could Bluetooth from my phone for that.
I'm not worried if they won't be optimal for the 4 stock speakers, I just would like to not have to buy things twice.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by UltraJerry; 12-10-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:00 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 725 Likes on 571 Posts

the Kenwood KDC-X702 and KDC-X998 head units will do as you like and provide excellent SQ and function. There are also equivalent Pioneer and Sony Models, but I'm kind of a Kenwood guy myself, so those are the ones I like. (I'm currently using the X702), the metra install kit gives you the brackets and weather cover and hand control functions. Fairing Factory lower speaker pod/boxes give you your lowers. Pick your speakers and one of the better quality amps can run all 6. I just had mine wired up to a SD800.4D 4ohm, with this amp or one of similar power and design and with the proper speaker selection and wiring set up you can run all six with one amp and have volume and SQ. The Arc Moto 600.4 will also do it, or if you want more control, you can get one of the mini amps like the SD250.2 nano and add that in the mix and it will all still fit in the fairing. Good SQ and volume coax in the faring, PA in the lowers and either PA or coax, depending on the unit for the t/p pods, and the t/p pods will most likely need 1/2 inch spacers to fit the better quality speakers.
m

Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 AM
UltraJerry
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marcodarq
the Kenwood KDC-X702 and KDC-X998 head units will do as you like and provide excellent SQ and function. There are also equivalent Pioneer and Sony Models, but I'm kind of a Kenwood guy myself, so those are the ones I like. (I'm currently using the X702), the metra install kit gives you the brackets and weather cover and hand control functions. Fairing Factory lower speaker pod/boxes give you your lowers. Pick your speakers and one of the better quality amps can run all 6. I just had mine wired up to a SD800.4D 4ohm, with this amp or one of similar power and design and with the proper speaker selection and wiring set up you can run all six with one amp and have volume and SQ. The Arc Moto 600.4 will also do it, or if you want more control, you can get one of the mini amps like the SD250.2 nano and add that in the mix and it will all still fit in the fairing. Good SQ and volume coax in the faring, PA in the lowers and either PA or coax, depending on the unit for the t/p pods, and the t/p pods will most likely need 1/2 inch spacers to fit the better quality speakers.
m
Awesome info! Thank you, I will look into all of those. Appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: 2013 Ultra Classic...