Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sena Speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 07:59 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Default New Sena Speakers.

Sena came out with some upgraded speakers. I quote "Sena's HD Speakers deliver crisp communication sound quality and a premium music listening experience. Easy to install in your helmet and compatible with the 30K, 20S EVO, 20S, 10C EVO, and 10C Pro, get ready to rock an all-new sound experience on your rides!"
For $40 (minus some revzilla points) I thought I'd try them out and this is what I found: They are a direct replacement. They sound better than stock, more clear, more base, but not $40 better. However, after installation, you're supposed to "After you purchase your premium HD Speakers from buysena.com you will need to update your mobile device’s Sena app and also install the latest firmware for your Sena device." You do this so that you can "Update your Sena mobile app and activate the new ‘HD Speakers’ option in the app settings". What I found was, the latest firmware for the Harley Sena device manager does not have the HD Speakers accessory option. After updating the firmware and connecting the headset to the app, there is no HD Speaker Accessory option.
Hopefully they update it soon. Until then, save your $40 or go another route.

The following 2 users liked this post by fordhd2005:
Hoyt 1911A1 (11-05-2020), TOHOG (11-29-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 427 Likes on 371 Posts

Hey Ford I'm glad you posted about those speakers. I don't use any Sena headsets but I do use helmet speakers sometimes in the winter that I plug into the center console port on my Ultra. I just use a 7 pin to 3.5mm adapter.

I was wondering what type of plug to those Sena HD speakers have? If it is a standard 3.5mm stereo I would be tempted to try a pair. I'm using some really crappy ones now because I don't use them all that much.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:53 PM
SportySmitty
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

One of my road captains is having the same issue with the app and speakers.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:48 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

i added them to the wife's and my helmet,s, they sound much better, for 40 bucks I think they were worth it, im sure HD will add the new software soon enough, I had read somewhere that they just did actually, but haven't checked.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:49 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Hey Ford I'm glad you posted about those speakers. I don't use any Sena headsets but I do use helmet speakers sometimes in the winter that I plug into the center console port on my Ultra. I just use a 7 pin to 3.5mm adapter.

I was wondering what type of plug to those Sena HD speakers have? If it is a standard 3.5mm stereo I would be tempted to try a pair. I'm using some really crappy ones now because I don't use them all that much.
no, its the plug they use to plug into their com unit

Old 11-08-2020, 04:07 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

It's the standard Sena proprietary mini-USB plug setup that the stock speakers use (whether your mount bracket is the HD branded version or a Sena branded version). It's not a 3.5mm stereo plug on theses speakers.

I found them to be a good improvement over the standard speakers that came with my BOOM! 20S headset in my flip-face helmet, but truthfully, this is what Sena's speakers should sound like from the start. Granted, my test was to connect my phone directly to the headset for the music; I have not yet configured everything to work on the bike through the Boombox GTS.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:57 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

The reply I got back from Sena when I inquired:
I have the Harley branded Sena Evo 20s and purchased the HD speaker upgrade. Apparently the firmware for the Harley Boom Audio Device manager doesn't include the HD Speaker Accessory option. Will it?

Good day!

Thank you for contacting SENA Technical Support.
The NEW HD Speakers are fully compatible that you can notice the change of the quality of the sound is with a standalone SENA Brand Headsets ONLY.
It will fit also a Boom! Audio 20S Evo (Harley brand) Headset, however, it is still the same sound quality.
We do not have any information if a new firmware will be available for Boom! Audio Headsets to make it compatible with our NEW HD Speakers.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 427 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by vhmike73
It's the standard Sena proprietary mini-USB plug setup that the stock speakers use (whether your mount bracket is the HD branded version or a Sena branded version). It's not a 3.5mm stereo plug on theses speakers.

I found them to be a good improvement over the standard speakers that came with my BOOM! 20S headset in my flip-face helmet, but truthfully, this is what Sena's speakers should sound like from the start. Granted, my test was to connect my phone directly to the headset for the music; I have not yet configured everything to work on the bike through the Boombox GTS.
Thanks for that info. Right now in the rare occasions that I use helmet speakers I pop in a set that I cut out of a pair of broken Turtle Beach headphones. I just soldered the wires from another wiring harness I had to them.

I sometimes think I should read around online to see what folks say sounds good but since I don't leave them in the helmet I don't know that it would be worth it. I thought about getting a real headset but my head is so large that even on a XXXL full face helmet my jaw is mashed in so tight I don't see how I could mount a complete headset with microphone in there.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:19 PM
ad78
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey, i bought the 50R when came out the market. Before that i have the 10c pro. Yes, the “HD” speaker were an upgrade but i had an issue with open mesh. Whenever i rev my music fades. That means, it cant identify which is voice or noise.

returned and bought the Cardo Bold. Damn man the JBL speakers are freaking amazing! There’s no comparison. Also, the voice recognition and talking to cardo is very seamless lol

Old 11-20-2020, 04:38 AM
havinabubble
Road Captain
Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

cheers for the heads up!

I swapped my H-D branded 20S EVO for a regular 20S EVO with a friend, and ordered the speakers.
Not interested in music quality in my ears, just want the speakers to be louder for intercom/calls/turn by turn

Never really had a need for the branded headset as I no longer run the H-D inFRUSTRATION system, having switched to Sony (and I was using a Freewire when I did, so didn't get any benefit)

Made a HUGE difference sat in the living room you can really hear the volume improvement once you load the latest update and turn on HD audio mode.

...next to road test 'um

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
The reply I got back from Sena when I inquired:
I have the Harley branded Sena Evo 20s and purchased the HD speaker upgrade. Apparently the firmware for the Harley Boom Audio Device manager doesn't include the HD Speaker Accessory option. Will it?

Good day!

Thank you for contacting SENA Technical Support.
The NEW HD Speakers are fully compatible that you can notice the change of the quality of the sound is with a standalone SENA Brand Headsets ONLY.
It will fit also a Boom! Audio 20S Evo (Harley brand) Headset, however, it is still the same sound quality.
We do not have any information if a new firmware will be available for Boom! Audio Headsets to make it compatible with our NEW HD Speakers.

Quick Reply: New Sena Speakers.