Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for upgrade recommendations - Road King Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 02:30 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Looking for upgrade recommendations - Road King Audio

So. I’m not super happy with how my audio setup sounds at high volume on my Road King. Looking to see what others are running…or for suggestions on different component options.

My current install:
JL Audio Bluetooth Receiver
JL Audio Line Driver
Rockford Fosgate PBR-300X4 Amplifier
Focal Audio 6.5” Coax (Front)
Focal Audio 5x7” Coax (Rear)

I stream Bluetooth audio thru Apple Music from my iPhone, and have the JL Audio Line Driver output control **** mounted in my nacelle for volume control.

Amplifier gain control is set (roughly 60%) to give me the best overall performance, but it’s still not ‘great’ and the Amplifier tends to clip at high volume…which is needed to hear anything at highway speeds when riding without my windshield.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 05-18-2024, 05:50 PM
fastsoup
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

The issue I see here is POWER...you ain't got enough of it. Focals sound marvelous, but not on a motorcycle.

I would change the amp, the fairing speakers, and upgrade to a 6x9 kit for the lids...

Old 05-18-2024, 07:04 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsoup
The issue I see here is POWER...you ain't got enough of it. Focals sound marvelous, but not on a motorcycle.

I would change the amp, the fairing speakers, and upgrade to a 6x9 kit for the lids...

I also think it’s a lack of power, but was sort of thinking that the Line Driver isn’t providing enough to the amp. You know, not enough input…won’t give good results on the output.

6x9” would be better, but they won’t fit in the Boom Audio lids I have.

Was kinda hoping someone would have a good suggestion for an Amplifier that has built-in Bluetooth so I could drop from 3 separate components to 1.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:57 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Jumpman ,,,, nother decent option is this ROKKER system from JMC ,,,,,Latest Video from JMC ROKKER here https://lazzeroni.wistia.com/medias/tx2a9ivtzc

Old 05-22-2024, 06:31 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpman
So. I’m not super happy with how my audio setup sounds at high volume on my Road King. Looking to see what others are running…or for suggestions on different component options.

My current install:
JL Audio Bluetooth Receiver
JL Audio Line Driver
Rockford Fosgate PBR-300X4 Amplifier
Focal Audio 6.5” Coax (Front)
Focal Audio 5x7” Coax (Rear)

I stream Bluetooth audio thru Apple Music from my iPhone, and have the JL Audio Line Driver output control **** mounted in my nacelle for volume control.

Amplifier gain control is set (roughly 60%) to give me the best overall performance, but it’s still not ‘great’ and the Amplifier tends to clip at high volume…which is needed to hear anything at highway speeds when riding without my windshield.

Thoughts? Ideas?

For starters, the focal speakers you have are a lower sensitivity speaker.

The "egg frying amp" you are using is very inefficient and does not come close to the output that is advertised with a clean signal.

If you are looking for an amp with Bluetooth capability to eliminate some of the hardware in the bag check out the Cicada DSP600.4D amp. While you are researching I would look for a 2 ohm speaker to pair up with the recommended amp.

The Cicada CXX line of speakers are available in 2 and 4 ohm and have a higher sensitivity then the speakers you are currently using and will work in the locations you currently have speakers in.