Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg wired speaker fell off in faring

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Hawg wired speaker fell off in faring

I heard a rattle while riding and during inspection noticed the left faring speaker and stock harley screen were free floating in my faring. I took the bike to HD as they had installed the amp, speakers and lower faring speakers for me when my bike was being repaired from a wreck. Anyway they took the outer faring off and discovered the self tapping screws that attach the adapter to the inner faring stripped out off their respective holes. I noticed the faring support brackets were missing and was told te speakers are too large so they can't use them. I called hawg wired who confirmed the information. Hawg wired also said they have heard and have seen speakers do the same thing. They suggested using a larger #10 size self tapping screw from hardware store as they ave done that in the past. HD put the screws in and we will see if they hold up. Seems like a lot of weight for a speaker to be bouncing up and down in there like that . Hope it lasts.

Just making this thread incase anybody else has this problem. Also after the fix my stock HD radio stopped playing music about 5 miles down the road. It would play again if I turned it off then back on but very intermittent . Now it plays for a couple minutes then stops for about 15 min. Went back to HD and they said the radio is crapping out. They said they see it quite often.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
I noticed the faring support brackets were missing and was told te speakers are too large so they can't use them. I called hawg wired who confirmed the information. Hawg wired also said they have heard and have seen speakers do the same thing.

Are you f-ing kidding me!!!!!! And HW admitted that???????

Those support brackets are there for a reason and that is to prevent flex of the outer edges of the fairing. Is HW going to fork over some $$ when your inner fairing cracks from wind-stress?

Dude.. get those speakers out of that fairing and put something in there that will allow you to put your horizontal fairing bracket supports back in. There are quite a few good speakers out that that do not require this kind of BS. I just, a couple of hours ago put in a pair of 7.1 Biketronics and had NO PROBLEM putting the fairing brackets back in place.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Yes hawg wire admitted the brackets do not fit. Will the other speakers work with my hawg wired speaker harness just unbolt the hawg speakers and bolt the others in using the plugs from Hawg or do I have to run the new connections?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I just, a couple of hours ago put in a pair of 7.1 Biketronics and had NO PROBLEM putting the fairing brackets back in place.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about how the Biketronics 7.1 performs against the Biketronics 6.5? Are the 7.1s worth the extra $50+ ?

Last edited by WestTexasRanger; 04-13-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about how the Biketronics 7.1 performs against their 6.5? Are the 7.1s worth the extra $50+ ?
if they allow you to use the speaker support bracket it sure would be to me.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog95023
Yes hawg wire admitted the brackets do not fit. Will the other speakers work with my hawg wired speaker harness just unbolt the hawg speakers and bolt the others in using the plugs from Hawg or do I have to run the new connections?
I have never put a speaker (many different brands and sizes) in a fairing that the support brackets were not reused.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about how the Biketronics 7.1 performs against the Biketronics 6.5? Are the 7.1s worth the extra $50+ ?
I LIKEY! Good low end. Highs are VERY bright. Guarantee you won't need any additional tweets with this setup.

The adapters they come with are even labeled brake side and clutch side
The speakers fit perfectly on the adapter

Talk to Bill.. I think he's been letting them go for the same price as the 6.5"

Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

I have never put a speaker (many different brands and sizes) in a fairing that the support brackets were not reused.
Would you be willing to pm me your email address and I can send you photos of the speakers when they were installed so you can see if they re different than others you have seen. I'd appreciate it if you could.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Talk to Bill..
Who is Bill?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Bill at Biketronics.....