Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Upgrading my Stereo (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/883844-upgrading-my-stereo.html)

VTwinJaxFL 06-18-2013 08:53 PM

Upgrading my Stereo

I just ordered the Rockford Fosgate 300 Watt X 2 channel (Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch) amp and the Polk Audio MM 651 speakers with the adapter rings from Dragon Fly. I also got the Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit wiring for the amp, all from Amazon. I'm hoping this will give me enough so that I can hear the music while cruising at 70 mph, cause now I can't even hear the radio when I go over 60 mph.

Will I retain the stock speaker covers when using this setup? I was hoping I do so it looks stock. From what I can tell I would because they are going to mount up to the adapter rings, which mount up to the fairing.

Any feedback on what I have ordered and what you think is great. This is for a street glide. I may add speakers in the saddlebag lids someday, but for now I'm hoping this will do the trick. If I add saddlebag speakers I will run another amp and mount it in the bag if possible.

EZ STREET 06-18-2013 09:02 PM

got the same set up for fathers day cant wait to install it

luc.who 06-18-2013 09:03 PM

Sounds like a good combo. UltraNutz has a few posts about the RF 2 channel amp. You do need the stock grills. I tossed mine a few years back when i put in the boom speakers and needed them last week when I put in the polks.

EZ STREET 06-18-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by luc.who (Post 11427710)
Sounds like a good combo. UltraNutz has a few posts about the RF 2 channel amp. You do need the stock grills. I tossed mine a few years back when i put in the boom speakers and needed them last week when I put in the polks.

Why is that i have some custom one i want to use

luc.who 06-18-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by EZ STREET (Post 11427720)
Why is that i have some custom one i want to use

If you have a custom that should work. I didnt have anything so I found a stock set on CL.

EZ STREET 06-18-2013 09:35 PM

ok cool had me worried for a sec I cant wait to install them will post pics when done

Primetime_2 06-18-2013 10:39 PM

that 8 awg wire kit will work but you'll have to trim your ground and power wire, what I mean is thin it down so it will fit in your amp connector! I used 8 awg as well and can hardly believe even 10 will fit without trimming a bit! other than that enjoy cause this combo puts out some noise! I can hear mine at 70-80 on the freeway! How are you planning on mounting the amp?

Fire4Effect 06-19-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL (Post 11427664)
I just ordered the Rockford Fosgate 300 Watt X 2 channel (Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch) amp and the Polk Audio MM 651 speakers with the adapter rings from Dragon Fly. I also got the Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit wiring for the amp, all from Amazon. I'm hoping this will give me enough so that I can hear the music while cruising at 70 mph, cause now I can't even hear the radio when I go over 60 mph.

Will I retain the stock speaker covers when using this setup? I was hoping I do so it looks stock. From what I can tell I would because they are going to mount up to the adapter rings, which mount up to the fairing.

Any feedback on what I have ordered and what you think is great. This is for a street glide. I may add speakers in the saddlebag lids someday, but for now I'm hoping this will do the trick. If I add saddlebag speakers I will run another amp and mount it in the bag if possible.

I believe you just separate the speaker cover from the factory adapter on your model. So yes, it will look stock.

UltraNutZ 06-19-2013 08:51 AM

you done good sir... The stock speaker covers will be retained using the adapter rings. On a SG you're likely to be able to get a 2nd PBR300x2 inside the fairing as well, just FYI.

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL (Post 11427664)

Primetime_2 06-19-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 11428616)
you done good sir... The stock speaker covers will be retained using the adapter rings. On a SG you're likely to be able to get a 2nd PBR300x2 inside the fairing as well, just FYI.

where is the best place to put a 2nd? and how? I may do bag lids some day down the road and would need a 2nd or go to the 4 channel RF