Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrading my Stereo

I just ordered the Rockford Fosgate 300 Watt X 2 channel (Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch) amp and the Polk Audio MM 651 speakers with the adapter rings from Dragon Fly. I also got the Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit wiring for the amp, all from Amazon. I'm hoping this will give me enough so that I can hear the music while cruising at 70 mph, cause now I can't even hear the radio when I go over 60 mph.

Will I retain the stock speaker covers when using this setup? I was hoping I do so it looks stock. From what I can tell I would because they are going to mount up to the adapter rings, which mount up to the fairing.

Any feedback on what I have ordered and what you think is great. This is for a street glide. I may add speakers in the saddlebag lids someday, but for now I'm hoping this will do the trick. If I add saddlebag speakers I will run another amp and mount it in the bag if possible.

Last edited by VTwinJaxFL; 06-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 PM
EZ STREET
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the same set up for fathers day cant wait to install it

Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like a good combo. UltraNutz has a few posts about the RF 2 channel amp. You do need the stock grills. I tossed mine a few years back when i put in the boom speakers and needed them last week when I put in the polks.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
EZ STREET
Cruiser
Question

Originally Posted by luc.who
Sounds like a good combo. UltraNutz has a few posts about the RF 2 channel amp. You do need the stock grills. I tossed mine a few years back when i put in the boom speakers and needed them last week when I put in the polks.
Why is that i have some custom one i want to use

Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ STREET
Why is that i have some custom one i want to use
If you have a custom that should work. I didnt have anything so I found a stock set on CL.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM
EZ STREET
Cruiser
Talking

ok cool had me worried for a sec I cant wait to install them will post pics when done

Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer

that 8 awg wire kit will work but you'll have to trim your ground and power wire, what I mean is thin it down so it will fit in your amp connector! I used 8 awg as well and can hardly believe even 10 will fit without trimming a bit! other than that enjoy cause this combo puts out some noise! I can hear mine at 70-80 on the freeway! How are you planning on mounting the amp?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL
I just ordered the Rockford Fosgate 300 Watt X 2 channel (Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch) amp and the Polk Audio MM 651 speakers with the adapter rings from Dragon Fly. I also got the Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit wiring for the amp, all from Amazon. I'm hoping this will give me enough so that I can hear the music while cruising at 70 mph, cause now I can't even hear the radio when I go over 60 mph.

Will I retain the stock speaker covers when using this setup? I was hoping I do so it looks stock. From what I can tell I would because they are going to mount up to the adapter rings, which mount up to the fairing.

Any feedback on what I have ordered and what you think is great. This is for a street glide. I may add speakers in the saddlebag lids someday, but for now I'm hoping this will do the trick. If I add saddlebag speakers I will run another amp and mount it in the bag if possible.
I believe you just separate the speaker cover from the factory adapter on your model. So yes, it will look stock.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

you done good sir... The stock speaker covers will be retained using the adapter rings. On a SG you're likely to be able to get a 2nd PBR300x2 inside the fairing as well, just FYI.

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Primetime_2
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
you done good sir... The stock speaker covers will be retained using the adapter rings. On a SG you're likely to be able to get a 2nd PBR300x2 inside the fairing as well, just FYI.
where is the best place to put a 2nd? and how? I may do bag lids some day down the road and would need a 2nd or go to the 4 channel RF

Quick Reply: Upgrading my Stereo