Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:00 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bf2002flht
I installed the Arc Audio amp in the 2014 because of the good luck I had with one in my 2009. I went with the Focal 165-KRC 6.5" speakers which bolted right in. First start up I had plenty of volume but was a little muddy at certain frequencies, not just low bass. I messed with the amp settings and had it set pretty good, but still muddy in spots. I then took it to my dealer and had it flashed for the 1 amp system setting (only 2 speakers for me). Instant change! The factory DSP is bypassed and the muddy spots are gone. The sound is crystal clear and and loud. I like the new fairing design with the speaker enclosures, it really aids in the bass response. For me the single amp flash made all the difference in the world.
Thanks to the help and ideas from bf2002flht, I too have a KICK *** system.. This combo of Arc Audio amp and Focal 165-KRC's proves to be superior to any previous system I have used, and guaranteed to blow away the BOOM system H.D. offers. I have heard the upgrade BOOM Amp and Speakers and cant imagine spending that money for hardly any gain in volume, certainly no gain in clarity, bass and midrange. This set-up is spot on and I could not give it any better recommendations for someone looking to put together a great system. Shop around and I guarantee you will build it for less the H.D. upgrade system. Thank you again Brad for your ideas and assistance.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

New 5X7" J&M ROKKER XX replacement speaker for 2014 Harley Saddlebag lids here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ID=HSDR-5X7-14 ,,,,,

I programmed the DSP in our 500w 4-ch ROKKER XTP amp for these speakers on Friday http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-SGP ,,,,, and I was MORE than impressed with the audio performance of these new 5X7" ROKKER XX speakers ,,,,,

new video to be released as part #2 of the 2014 J&M ROKKER XTP Ultra ,,,,,

Last edited by JMJOHN; 12-14-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: left out important items ,,
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good lord John....this really was meant to be a thread that focused on aftermarket Frankenstein "do it yourself" upgrades. Not the "upgrade in a box" variety. My fault for not elaborating from the start.....soooooooooo......

All in favor of creating a separated, dedicated sticky for J&M 2014 audio upgrades????

Nutz???

Yeesh...

The following users liked this post:
BrownSanta (06-03-2016)
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Good lord John....this really was meant to be a thread that focused on aftermarket Frankenstein "do it yourself" upgrades. Not the "upgrade in a box" variety. My fault for not elaborating from the start.....soooooooooo......

All in favor of creating a separated, dedicated sticky for J&M 2014 audio upgrades????

Nutz???

Yeesh...
All raise your hand for this and the I's will have it.. I am in.

If John would not have chimed in, as he always does, I would have kept the names of previous systems I had referred to myself. But since he thinks so highly of his components and cant give credit to anyone else so be it... I have had J&M amp and speakers prior and trust me when I tell you this combo of Focal and Arc is superior. And personally dealing with John the couple of times that I did because his "Plug and Play" did not work correctly, is one reason I choose to try something new.

Didn't want to bash anyone here, just give credit to a fellow member for his idea and assistance, but as always there is always someone trying to toot their own horn. John, give it a rest

The following users liked this post:
BrownSanta (06-03-2016)
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

MontyCop ,,,, Gliding Joe ,,,,,

I did not mean to splash all the water out of the pool here ,,,,,,,

the Arc Audio amp and Focal speakers are a very good option ,,,,,

I "HAVE" however tested that speaker/amp combination and found the J&M ROKKER XX speakers, (7.25" size) to be superior in volume level attained and frequency response, when connected to the Arc Amp (or J&M ROKKER XTP amp) than the 6.5" Focals (3 different models) ,,,,,,

as for this being a 2014 thread ONLY for non-J&M audio components ,,,, why would forum members be interested in ONLY hearing about "Frankenstein" upgrades ?

some of us also appreciate products properly designed for a specific application, that are not ONLY plug-n-play, but offer outstanding performance at the same time ,,,,,,

would you not agree ? ,,,,,

Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
All raise your hand for this and the I's will have it.. I am in.

If John would not have chimed in, as he always does, I would have kept the names of previous systems I had referred to myself. But since he thinks so highly of his components and cant give credit to anyone else so be it... I have had J&M amp and speakers prior and trust me when I tell you this combo of Focal and Arc is superior. And personally dealing with John the couple of times that I did because his "Plug and Play" did not work correctly, is one reason I choose to try something new.

Didn't want to bash anyone here, just give credit to a fellow member for his idea and assistance, but as always there is always someone trying to toot their own horn. John, give it a rest

Yes J&M products are very good and very easy to install but that is no reason to try to exclude him from discussions. Don't fear the leader.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:16 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Yes J&M products are very good and very easy to install but that is no reason to try to exclude him from discussions. Don't fear the leader.
You completely missed the mark JC. That's just the point I'm making exactly. John doesn't, and hasn't ever, offered anything in the way of "discussion." Like I said this thread was intended for the "do it yourselfer" building a system themselves using the equipment that best suits their needs, application and budget.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:50 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC

Ahh Man!!! JC you should have never called J&M the leader, John's head just got BIGGER.. As Monty, myself and others have been discussing here is building and sharing systems and what is needed to make the new boom systems work with upgraded amps and all, Not a Packaged System. John always has a comment regardless when it comes to this. I tried that, I have compared that, mine does this and so on..
John.. put the water back in the pool for the rest of us and and take your toys to someone else's.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Ahh Man!!! JC you should have never called J&M the leader, John's head just got BIGGER.. As Monty, myself and others have been discussing here is building and sharing systems and what is needed to make the new boom systems work with upgraded amps and all, Not a Packaged System. John always has a comment regardless when it comes to this. I tried that, I have compared that, mine does this and so on..
John.. put the water back in the pool for the rest of us and and take your toys to someone else's.

Sorry GlidingJoe my intent wasn't to inflate heads I hear what your saying but I for one didn't understand the intent of this thread. I didn't buy a package from John I just bought his 360 watt amp for my 2014 Ultra limited. I installed his amp and left the stock speakers in. The install for a non audio guy like me was easy and clean. The results blow me away! It is the first time I have ever put an amp on my bike but wow I would do it again. I can now listen to the radio at any speed and it is clear with decent bass and I hear very little distortion. The only issue I have is the AVC on my bike didn't work before or after my amp install and it can be embarrassing to stop at a light with Pavarotti blasting away at full volume John take note you are barred from this thread unless you agree to supply all my Canadian friends with free amps, the ones like I bought would be just fine, we don't want to take advantage.

Early Merry Christmas to all.
(if you are offended by the Merry Christmas please send your objections to
S.Clause@CanadaNP.com)

Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

MontyCop ,,,,,,

I would be happy to have discussions with all of you guys, just ask me a good question and I will tell you exactly what I know on the subject ,,,,

GlidingJoe ,,,,,

I hear a little bit of animosity in your voice ? ,,,, ALL of us have different levels of income and ability to purchase and install accessories on the bikes that we all love and enjoy ,,,,,,

I will always inform our customers what is THE BEST that WE have to offer, and what is THE BEST bang for the buck as well from the J&M lineup ,,,,,,

are there competitive products out there as good as J&Ms ? ,,,, certainly, but I work very hard to make sure they are few and far between,,, that is MY job at J&M ! ,,,,

"I" personally like plug-n-play stuff ,,,, I don't like my bike to be all cobbled together, and I (like many others on this forum) take a great deal of pride in showing off once in a while, the cool bikes that I have been blessed with being able to own and enjoy over the past 35+ years ,,,,,,

you and MontyCop make a good point that many riders here also like to put their bikes together with a little more mix-n-match, using various different brands of aftermarket products, and you take great pride in being able to do it that way ,,,,,,

in the end, we all get to the same point, which is to enjoy the process & show-off a little to our friends and neighbors on what we are able to accomplish ,,,,,,

just let me know anytime that I can be of assistance ,,,,,,

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread