Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=03Custom883;14187644]Are your speakers mounted inside or out side the pods? Inside What are your amp settings? AP gain- 9 and freq- 90?[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps. Before you do these settings make sure you have the head unit settings as follows: This is from a post by UltraNutz. I followed this and as stated I'm extremely happy with my set up that cost me a total of $292.80. YMMV

Setting your amp gains by ear
there are a couple of steps that MUST be followed prior to adjusting gain controls or the whole process is at best a futile effort as your gains will NOT be adjusted properly.

• On stock H/K- Harley head units set your bass and treble to flat settings. Flat is the middle smaller bar on the display
  • On aftermarket head units, the easiest thing to do is press the reset button on the head unit to reset everything on it back to factory defaults. Otherwise make sure bass, treble, and ANY other sound enhancements are turned to their 0 settings.
  • Obtain a CD or iPOD (make sure EQ settings on iPod are off as well) with some dynamic music on it. Van Halen or Peter Gabriel is pretty dynamic and will suffice for this exercise.
  • Turn your gain control(s) on the amp all the way down. This is usually the counterclockwise direction.
  • With CD/iPOD playing, turn head unit volume up until you hear distortion then turn it back down a little until distortion is no longer present. If you can turn your head unit's volume all the way up without distortion then back it down to 3/4 and proceed
  • if you have multiple gain controls, adjust each seperately. Turn your gain(s) up until your hear distortion, then back the gain control down until the distortion is gone.
  • Proceed to other gain controls if you have them
UltraNutZ

Last edited by 02BlueDeuce; 07-08-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 AM
14SGS_CANADA
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the shop install:

HERTZ HDP4 4 CHANNEL AMP
HERTZ HT-28 TWEETERS where the stock mirrors were (I have 12" bars)
HERTZ SPL SHOWS 6.5's front fairing
HERTZ HCX-690 6X9's in the lids

I have the updated software 1.19.0 Had the flash and set it to AMP 1 & 2 OFF and selected 4 speakers. Sounds great up to about half way or a bit more than you can hear distortion.

I may do a single din and say F*ck it with the 6.5 display...

Old 07-09-2015, 02:59 PM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14SGS_CANADA
I had the shop install:

HERTZ HDP4 4 CHANNEL AMP

I have the updated software 1.19.0 Had the flash and set it to AMP 1 & 2 OFF and selected 4 speakers. Sounds great up to about half way or a bit more than you can hear distortion.

Try. 0 amps 4 speakers amp 1 and amp 2 installed yes...made a big difference for me..and everything works fade, base, treble and (AVC)..well the best it has ever worked anyway. .I don't know if these radios will ever sounded as good as the old ones..software and flashes are aggravating. .but try this flash and see if it helps..

Old 07-09-2015, 04:04 PM
14SGS_CANADA
Novice

Originally Posted by fallenhillbilly
Try. 0 amps 4 speakers amp 1 and amp 2 installed yes...made a big difference for me..and everything works fade, base, treble and (AVC)..well the best it has ever worked anyway. .I don't know if these radios will ever sounded as good as the old ones..software and flashes are aggravating. .but try this flash and see if it helps..

so select internal amp and external amp "on" and select 4 speakers?

I had Rockford Fosgate tell me :

Internal "on"
External "off"
and doesn't matter on number of speakers....

And I still have all the functions working, fade, treble, bass, etc etc

Last edited by 14SGS_CANADA; 07-09-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:49 PM
whittaker727
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

170 some pages later, I'm still wondering if anyone has done a 6 speaker system using the all boom audio components? I've got a 15 Ultra and want to add lids and speakers to my existing 4 speaker system and upgrade it all to stage II. I don't care if I use aftermarket or stock stuff as long as it gets the DB's that I'm after without loosing clarity. I've called and left a message with Bill at BT so maybe he'll have some input for me as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Alfster
Novice

I had the shop install:

HERTZ HDP4 4 CHANNEL AMP

I spent the day at dealer tried all the flashes. This is the one you want 135_off.bin. I a am running HDP4 and hsk 165xl ht28 tweeters. It sounds amazing finally. It tells you exactly how to get this flash here very first post of this thread.
2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread
Just to be sure i had fairing off and Alpine head unit running off a battery. Switched pre outs from 6.5 hu to alpine hu and compared after flashes. 135_off.bin is what you want. You will not have working fader but you will have quality sound that was as good as alpine hu. I was running 00_off.bin as others stated before doesn't compare. You will have to turn gains on amp back up could only run them about half way with other flashes.

Last edited by Alfster; 07-09-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 AM
03Custom883
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
I added a little Alpine KTP-445U amp and four Kicker 6.5" speakers to my 2014 Ultra tonight, sounds good in the garage but we'll see tomorrow on the highway what it's really like. It's not a big amp, but I'm sure it's light years better than the amp in the factory head unit. Install was pretty easy ones I got the fairing boxes out. Just need to clean up the wire a bit with some wrap and it should be good to go.

What model kicker speakers did you use? Did the fit the pod without issues? Where you able to use the stock speaker screws or did you need to use longer or bigger. Let me know.
Thanks

Old 07-10-2015, 07:07 AM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser

so select internal amp and external amp "on" and select 4 speakers?

I had Rockford Fosgate tell me :

Internal "on"
External "off"
and doesn't matter on number of speakers....

And I still have all the functions working, fade, treble, bass, etc etc
J&M website has all the details..but it the factory flash but with amps installed yes...factory is no.. I had the 135-off before but my try it again..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 AM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alfster
I spent the day at dealer tried all the flashes. This is the one you want 135_off.bin. I a am running HDP4 and hsk 165xl ht28 tweeters. It sounds amazing finally. It tells you exactly how to get this flash here very first post of this thread.
2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread
Just to be sure i had fairing off and Alpine head unit running off a battery. Switched pre outs from 6.5 hu to alpine hu and compared after flashes. 135_off.bin is what you want. You will not have working fader but you will have quality sound that was as good as alpine hu. I was running 00_off.bin as others stated before doesn't compare. You will have to turn gains on amp back up could only run them about half way with other flashes.
Do you have the latest update 1-19 installed with the 135-off bin.I had this at the beginning but went to the j&m flash. it sounds good. the 135 did ok too sitting but weak on the road. wondering if the update has fix that..and what bike do you have it on..seems to make a difference for some weird reason. .same radio on them all but totally different results. .thanks

Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Alfster
Novice

Originally Posted by fallenhillbilly
Do you have the latest update 1-19 installed with the 135-off bin.I had this at the beginning but went to the j&m flash. it sounds good. the 135 did ok too sitting but weak on the road. wondering if the update has fix that..and what bike do you have it on..seems to make a difference for some weird reason. .same radio on them all but totally different results. .thanks
I have the lastest update 1-19 with 135_off bin. 2015 Street Glide Special. I had to turn gains on amp back up after going from 00_off.bin to 135_off.bin.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread