Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 09FLHXrLVNV
ok road warriors of the highway...

looking to upgrade the audio speakers but after all these pages...still confused a bit of what aftermarket audio y'all going with

Kappa?
Focal?
J&M?
Biketronics?
Hertz?

Help a audiophile out pls
I tried the J&M setup. It sounded not bad then I got the J&M flash and hated it. Sold the speakers, I still have the amp. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Now I have Kappa speakers and RF amp. I like it much better. The J&M speakers were garbage compared to the Kappas. The J&M amp is not bad but I seem to like the RF better.

I myself would like to know what flash one gets when they follow RF's recommendation.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:41 PM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpalm
I just came back from having the flash done. I used the Biketronics recommended settings and got the 00_OFF. The volume was pretty low after the flash. So I stopped off at a gas station, found a shady spot out of the way and adjusted the amp. Wow, this thing sounds great now! It is more than loud enough at half volume and clear as a bell. I am completely happy with the sound now. I will never do another update though. I don't want to risk screwing it up.
Have not found that updates mess with the flash. ..not yet anyway. .had three updates so far and no problem. .

Old 08-23-2015, 08:06 AM
dbfp3
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent USB connection

Following the last update, I found that my Iphone will not always connect to the usb connection. It is charging fine, but will not connect for music. Only the USB shows on the Media screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:10 AM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbfp3
Following the last update, I found that my Iphone will not always connect to the usb connection. It is charging fine, but will not connect for music. Only the USB shows on the Media screen. Has anyone else had this problem?
Not with phone but gps street names are screwed up..This whole radio is a joke..could have been so nice..but let's get the cheapest bid to do the software for it ..because we are going to charge a premium for it.. but in Harley defense they only had 4 years to work on it.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:12 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
Default The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Originally Posted by sandmhale
I decided to take my fairing off to tweak some amp settings and while I was at it I downloaded the latest software patch to install. Much to my surprise, the download was done on my desktop machine that I just upgraded to WIN 10...and the Boom system wouldn't recognize it! Downloaded it again just to be sure, no change. System didn't even recognize it as a patch. Used my laptop still running WIN 8.1, no problem at all. So HD, has anyone tried WINDOWS 10 with your software patches?????? If this is a repeat I apologize, I didn't remember seeing any posts on this.
I ran into this also. I found there was a text document in the file that was downloaded and once i went into the file and copied only the upgrade to the flash drive that it would work. Hope this helps

Old 08-25-2015, 05:32 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't seen what volume that has been being used while setting the gain using a voltage meter on the 14/15 bikes. There at 17 bars of volume, should it be set to 13? or try to see when it distorts before taking things apart?

Thank you

Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
neonflx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after spending a year away!!!, came back to ride the bike and after just a month back one of my Kappa's is blown!! I been doing some reading around this forum and it seems, at least to me, that they have a somewhat high failure rate.

Luckily I have a pair of Polk's MM651 that I have purchased a while back, will install them and see how it goes.

I'm using a RF pbr300x2 btw, had the gain set at 5 not sure why the speaker went bad.

Last edited by neonflx; 08-26-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:12 PM
captjac
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbfp3
Since the last update, about 50% of the time my Iphone doesn't connect via Bluetooth but you don't know it until you go to the phone page to make a call only to find it didn't automatically connect. Once you tell it to connect it does but just not automatically about 1/2 of the time.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 PM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So I had my speakers blow on my 2015 RGS and had them replaced under warranty. So decided to put in the Stage 2 boom speakers and amp. I know there are supposed to be better option but I was also trying to keep it under my 2 year warranty.

Well they put it in and it sounds like crap Bass and Treble adjustments don't seem to do anything and it just sounds like crap.

I found the post on how to check the bin file that is down loaded. I have 192_Off.bin

Seems like every one likes the 135_Off or the 00_Off.bin

I found a Txt file that shows all the bin files.

192_Off HU 121712 rev1d +3dBdyn GBDK_platinum.EQF

135_ON.bin HU 4ch active rev1e DK 041013.EQF

00_OFF.bin FLHT_EngOFF_EQ_4spkr_111412_rev1g.EQF

So what bin file is best for the setup I have? Do any of these bin files actually give you any better control of the bass and treble?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am already at the point of having everything removed and just have the stock speakers put in.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:17 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CVORoadKing2013
So I had my speakers blow on my 2015 RGS and had them replaced under warranty. So decided to put in the Stage 2 boom speakers and amp. I know there are supposed to be better option but I was also trying to keep it under my 2 year warranty.

Well they put it in and it sounds like crap Bass and Treble adjustments don't seem to do anything and it just sounds like crap.

I found the post on how to check the bin file that is down loaded. I have 192_Off.bin

Seems like every one likes the 135_Off or the 00_Off.bin

I found a Txt file that shows all the bin files.

192_Off HU 121712 rev1d +3dBdyn GBDK_platinum.EQF

135_ON.bin HU 4ch active rev1e DK 041013.EQF

00_OFF.bin FLHT_EngOFF_EQ_4spkr_111412_rev1g.EQF

So what bin file is best for the setup I have? Do any of these bin files actually give you any better control of the bass and treble?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am already at the point of having everything removed and just have the stock speakers put in.
I used the BT recommended flash and mine screams. It's the 00_OFF flash. Loud and clear as a bell with all working controls. Less than $300 total invested.

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread