Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

when J&M's new 6.65" speakers are released for the 2014's,,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....CRK-6652TW-RXX ,,,,

all these acoustic housing modification attempts will be only memories ,,,,

and when connected to J&Ms big 500w ROKKER XTP amp kit built specifically for the 2014's (((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-SGP ,,,,,,,

total audio system volume and performance will be on par with what we have achieved with the 2006-2013 baggers ,,,,,

Old 11-26-2013, 04:22 PM
bf2002flht
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My experience 2014 SGS

I installed the Arc Audio amp in the 2014 because of the good luck I had with one in my 2009. I went with the Focal 165-KRC 6.5" speakers which bolted right in. First start up I had plenty of volume but was a little muddy at certain frequencies, not just low bass. I messed with the amp settings and had it set pretty good, but still muddy in spots. I then took it to my dealer and had it flashed for the 1 amp system setting (only 2 speakers for me). Instant change! The factory DSP is bypassed and the muddy spots are gone. The sound is crystal clear and and loud. I like the new fairing design with the speaker enclosures, it really aids in the bass response. For me the single amp flash made all the difference in the world.

Attached Thumbnails The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread-focal-165-krc.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM
bf2002flht
Advanced

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I did install the HD Boom Audio speaker grills. If you want to keep the factory grills with these Focal speakers you must cut out/grind the plastic behind the material so it doesnt interfere with the front of the speaker or order just the grills from the Boom Audio setup.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a picture of the speakers mounted in the fairing? I would love to see the grills on those speakers.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bf2002flht
I installed the Arc Audio amp in the 2014 because of the good luck I had with one in my 2009. I went with the Focal 165-KRC 6.5" speakers which bolted right in. First start up I had plenty of volume but was a little muddy at certain frequencies, not just low bass. I messed with the amp settings and had it set pretty good, but still muddy in spots. I then took it to my dealer and had it flashed for the 1 amp system setting (only 2 speakers for me). Instant change! The factory DSP is bypassed and the muddy spots are gone. The sound is crystal clear and and loud. I like the new fairing design with the speaker enclosures, it really aids in the bass response. For me the single amp flash made all the difference in the world.
great information.. thanks for sharing bf2002flht..

Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
bf2002flht
Advanced
Default Boom Audio Grills

Originally Posted by Bigboyride
Do you have a picture of the speakers mounted in the fairing? I would love to see the grills on those speakers.
Here is a link to HD's website picture which is a better representation than the pictures I took. The pictures I took had the flash on and it really pronounced the yellow of the speakers and in person doesn't look like that at all, pretty much just a black grill. I will try to take some other pictures in the daylight at a later time. I also included a picture of the part numbers just for the specific grills.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...iring-speakers

Attached Thumbnails The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread-grill.jpg   The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread-grills.jpg   The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread-grillpns.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics. I've been looking at them on the web site but wanted real world pics. Those turned out great, they look nice in the fairing. Great set up and thanks for the info.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

bf2002flht.

did you notice any difference in the grills themselves sir? Looking at images of them I see no difference yet they hold 2 different part numbers.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

This may be a non issue or maybe even a stupid question.... Are these speakers capable of handling the weather/rain/washing the bike? Your system seems awesome and those speakers have awesome reviews. Focal makes a great product..

Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bf2002flht
Additional questions, which Arc Audio Amp did you use and were you able to find the connectors to make it a plug and play system or did you splice your wiring?

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread