Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad antenna, coax or mast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Bad antenna, coax or mast?

Long story short, outer fairing is off and these last few months the radio stations that used to come in clear, no longer come in at all. So I have an old Chevy truck replacement antenna hanging in the shop, plug it in and all the stations come in again... So question is, is there a typical spot I would have pinched it or that they go bad? Its an 08 ultra with some audio upgrades but has worked for years the way it is, and this is a new problem. I did look at the antenna coax and connectors and nothing is apparent, but I could be missing something too. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also hello to all the audio guys, I know i kinda disappeared, but went from a computer job to an operator (heavy equipment) job. So much for long story SHORT.
Kris

Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the ground in the tour pak.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:05 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Check the ground in the tour pak.
Good idea, but tried that too.
Kris

Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Good to see you around again BP.

under the left side panel near the fuse box is an antenna connection. Check from center tip that plugs into radio to center of that connection for continuity. You should have a relatively low impedance reading between the 2 points. Also check the outer shield the same way. Also check and make sure you have NO continuity between center pin at radio and outer shield at connection under side panel.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:49 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

under the left side panel near the fuse box is an antenna connection. Check from center tip that plugs into radio to center of that connection for continuity. You should have a relatively low impedance reading between the 2 points. Also check the outer shield the same way. Also check and make sure you have NO continuity between center pin at radio and outer shield at connection under side panel.
Thanks a million actually heading out there this afternoon and hope to find the problem

Kris

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

Did a little digging around under the side cover around fuse box and see where the coax goes from rear to front behind the fuse box and didn't find the connector. Is it easier to see or get at from the battery side (inside) or the outside near the fusebox? Not afraid to open it up, but thought ya might be able to save me tear down time. Thanks again for any input.
Kris
FYI pouring rain and 35 degrees right now, might make most of ya feel a little better about your weather....

Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Did a little digging around under the side cover around fuse box and see where the coax goes from rear to front behind the fuse box and didn't find the connector. Is it easier to see or get at from the battery side (inside) or the outside near the fusebox? Not afraid to open it up, but thought ya might be able to save me tear down time. Thanks again for any input.
Kris
FYI pouring rain and 35 degrees right now, might make most of ya feel a little better about your weather....

the connector may be in the battery compartment. I see them in different places on different baggers.

well if it makes you feel any better, it's 80 here and blue skies.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Easiest way to check is to swap antenna's with a buddy. If his works and yours doesn't, pull a three-card-Monty and keep his!!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:40 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

you might also check the intermediate coax connection under the seat ,,,,,

Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
you might also check the intermediate coax connection under the seat ,,,,,
John, there is one or two of these under the seat? Wondering if you are talking about the same one UN mentioned earlier?
Kris

Quick Reply: Bad antenna, coax or mast?