Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new system...still can't hear @ 60mph!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM
rwb1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGigante
wind screen can make a difference. Also, I found that with my speakers that they sounded better without the poly. Did you possibly overwrap them?
Loose wrap with polyfill...about 3/4"...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I have the stock 4 speakers on my Electra Glide Ultra Limited, a I hear the music OK at 70-75mph.
I'm still running with the stock 12 inch windshield which works fine for me.
The biggest improvement for comfort and reducing wind, water, and wind noise was adding the medal fork air deflectors, (along with the hard lowers).
I like fork air deflectors so much that I run with them on all year long.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rwb1
My ears are perfect....and I DO NOT wear ear plugs, just saying maybe it would block some wind noise.

How about a taller windshield...I have a small *** "novelty" wind screen thats completely worthless. If so , any suggestions on size or whats the best way to measure an approx. size needed?

Thanks
I went from a 4" to 6" screen and notice my ears don't ring as much after a longer ride. With the 4" I was opting for ear plugs and I no longer need to for shorter rides. I couldn't tell much, if any, improvements in sound but my ears feel better so I hear it better.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Guy's that use Clark Custom Windshield (extra wide... 3 inches or so wider)... www.customflhtwindshield.net... swear by them, claim they can hear their stereo's better, plus better wind protection for driver and passenger. I was thinking of trying one myself

Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM
rwb1
Tourer

Moto mike, your link doesn't work......

Just reading the polyfill thread and wonder if I used to much....got about 1" cable tied around the speakers, nice tidy little nest.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Bump gain up little more about 6.5 right before 7.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on bumping the gain a little. Also, take a couple wraps off the polyfil and you should have louder, fuller sound. I'm betting that you'll be well under half-volume and blasting sound at 70 mph. That's what I did with my PBR300x2 driving a pair of Polk MM651s in the front fairing.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
rwb1
Tourer

I had the gain up during the install and didnt like the sound adjusted over 5..
I adjusted it 15 times and it sounded best right around 5.

I dont believe the polyfill is the problem, but I will take a little out next time the fairing is off....I hate taking it off...the screws can only go in and out so many times before a hole strips out ! Poor design on my opinion, should be a metal insert in each mount at least.
I am going to try a taller windshield, as I said whats on there is literally even with the radio mount...looks good but the wind slams me in the face and I can barely hear my CFR's.
If I turn my head sideway....stereo sounds good...straight on its turbulence.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rwb1
Moto mike, your link doesn't work......

Just reading the polyfill thread and wonder if I used to much....got about 1" cable tied around the speakers, nice tidy little nest.
I didn't post a link just web address computer or HD forums turned it into a link or changed it to look like a link? F**kin Computers lol! Any way thats their web address, Clarks Custom Windshields. Look kinda Funky but provides better wind protection. One of the first thing I did on my SG was change short windshield to a 11 inch windshield ( like the one that comes on the Classic or Ultra), this year I'm running a Klockwerks 8.5 windshield (which I had to redrill and lower). I like how the KW looks but the stocker was better for wind protection and could hear stereo a little better. rwb1 what kind of bike have you got Roadglide? Klockwerks has replacement screw anchors for RG fairings, called flair nuts.

Last edited by Moto Mike; 06-25-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM
rwb1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I didn't post a link just web address computer or HD forums turned it into a link or changed it to look like a link? F**kin Computers lol! Any way thats their web address, Clarks Custom Windshields. Look kinda Funky but provides better wind protection. One of the first thing I did on my SG was change short windshield to a 11 inch windshield ( like the one that comes on the Classic or Ultra), this year I'm running a Klockwerks 8.5 windshield (which I had to redrill and lower). I like how the KW looks but the stocker was better for wind protection and could hear stereo a little better. rwb1 what kind of bike have you got Roadglide? Klockwerks has replacement screw anchors for RG fairings, called flair nuts.
I got the new flarenuts for the windshield, I was talking about taking the fairing off... cheesy set up at best...yes I have a 13' Road Glide.

Might go with a Madstad....not sure ,I'm having a hard time getting past the look !!

Quick Reply: Installed new system...still can't hear @ 60mph!!