Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.25 vs 6.5 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:51 AM
soberjoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.25 vs 6.5 worth it?

I'm looking to keep things simple. I replaced the stock HD 5.25 with the HD high performance speakers. There was clearly a huge improvement in sound quality.

I'm wondering if stepping up to 6.5 or even J&M 7.5 is worth the money. Is there a significant improvement to justify the cost or not?

If I need to run an amp that is more money. I don't plan to add any more speakers, just the two in the fairing will do.

What is the best combination given what I have stated. All opinions welcome.

PS. The bike is a 2012 FLHTC with the stock HK head unit.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by soberjoe
I'm looking to keep things simple. I replaced the stock HD 5.25 with the HD high performance speakers. There was clearly a huge improvement in sound quality.

I'm wondering if stepping up to 6.5 or even J&M 7.5 is worth the money. Is there a significant improvement to justify the cost or not?

If I need to run an amp that is more money. I don't plan to add any more speakers, just the two in the fairing will do.

What is the best combination given what I have stated. All opinions welcome.

PS. The bike is a 2012 FLHTC with the stock HK head unit.
If we are talking "improvement" the 6.5 and or the 7.1's will always sound better than the 5.25 If we are talking "Significant" improvement. You WILL need an amp. The "Best" is subjective. JM is a nice two speaker setup (with an amp) and the Infinity 62.11i with the PBR300X2 amp is also nice.

Last edited by Gannicus; 07-27-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
chip594
Intermediate

If all you have, and are going to have, is 2 speakers then you may as well make them good ones! If you weren't looking to add anymore speakers I'd look hard at the Biketronics or J&M 7.+ speakers. If budget is a big factor, a cheaper setup like mentioned above (infinity / Polk with a RF PBR300x2) can be had for right around $300.

On my '12 ultra classic I added 2 pairs of Polks powered off just the radio. I'd say that the sound is cleaner, but I did lose some volume because it's a better speaker than stocks so it takes more power to push it. From that experience, I wouldn't expect a tremendous upgrade from any speaker without adding an amp.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 AM
soberjoe
Cruiser

Good advice thank you both. Anyone ever heard a hogtune tweeter pod? I would like to hear one in action.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have good speakers, you don't need a Tweeter Pod...

Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM
1HD2NV
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
If you have good speakers, you don't need a Tweeter Pod...
Agreed. Have the pod installed currently, ran them with my stock HU powering a pair of J&M's. Replaced system and found it now sounds better without the pods. They are currently not wired & just a nice dash filler at this point! I still think they have their place, just not necessarily part of a good overall system.

Last edited by 1HD2NV; 07-27-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:59 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

The Infinity 62.11i should be nice complement to your existing system. If you decide later need more power these speakers will handle it.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

A quick google check says the BT 7.1 speakers are on sale for $270. It also says you can get the PBR300x2 for $159, and the 62.11's for $119. Normally the BT's are $300. So for about the same money, you can have an amp and good speakers or just speakers. And trust me, the urge to keep improving will continue.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

we also have a very special hdforums discount that will put the ROKKER XX speakers in a similar price range to the B/Ts ,,,,, send email to john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

speakers here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HCRK-7252-RXX ,,,,,,

grills with tweet & mid here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=HCRK-GRTM ,,,,,

ROKKER XTP amp kit here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=JAMP-250HC06P ,,,,,,

Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 AM
soberjoe
Cruiser

JMJON I have to say I respect you sir. I love the fact that you pay attention to your customers, your here explaining and in many cases defending your products. I for one am willing to pay for things like plug and play. I don't understand "gain" and such. I like the idea that your stuff is matched and I don't need to worry about "ohm" or mis-matched items.

Personally, my wife does not like the speaker pods in the rear so I don't have any. I take my lowers off during the summer so I sold my lower speakers. I'm really just looking to have a reasonably strong, clear sound out of the two fairing speakers. I think I have a decent sound now out of the stock HK head unit and Harley High Performance 5.25 speakers. But past half volume it starts to go south. Can I improve that with larger speakers and only the stock watt output? My guess is probably not.

A big thank you to all who answered my call for information and opinion.

Quick Reply: 5.25 vs 6.5 worth it?