Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASWC-1 / Metra install AND PROGRAMMING (left push as MUTE) Guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

got some questions on the actual install... hope these pics will help.

I cut the "pink/white" wire (2013 FLHX) AFTER the connector (yep - just cut the line)

and grounded the line from the connector (still handlebar site!) to the ciggy lighter ground. other end of the pink/whilte wire I just heat shrink wrapped and taped up on the harness...

harness I made with simple 1.4 inch plastic ribbed tubing... open ended 3 wires on the picture I connected to the HU audio connecter:
ground: black
Power: red
continious power for HU Memory: yellow
these colors are pretty much standard on all well known HU brands...

Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 PM
tod75154
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why i find this so confusing but which cable am i supposed to use? There are two, the one that comes in the 99-9600 kit that plugs into the harness and the one that comes in the aswc-1 kit. Both will plug into the module but the one from the aswc has more wires. Am i over thinking this?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tod75154
I don't know why i find this so confusing but which cable am i supposed to use? There are two, the one that comes in the 99-9600 kit that plugs into the harness and the one that comes in the aswc-1 kit. Both will plug into the module but the one from the aswc has more wires. Am i over thinking this?
you need both... and the aftermarket radio one as well. if you look at the picture showing the harness with the 23 pin connector and the ASWC-1, you will see 3 wires open, those go to the AM radio (red on red, black on black and yellow to (usually) yellow.
1 connector tackled...

follow the instructions in the manuals below. the HD 1998 and up one prevails before the Metra one!!! so pink/white wire needs to be cut and grounded at the handlebar side. see other pictures.
on the last page you will find a schema that shows the 23 pin connector (marked as 27B) and the aswc 12 pin connector pins.
IGNORE the 1kohm resistor... it is already in the metra wire harness...
just solder the lines together, insulate and you are good to go.
I should have taken pictures of the harness to show the wires on each side...

http://axxessinterfaces.com/docs/HD-1998-and-Newer.pdf

http://metraonline.com/files/product...9-9600_web.pdf

Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tod75154
sorry - re-read your question.... use 23 big connector from the Metra and the 12 pin connector from the ASWC-1.
if you combine the 2 "pin" tables in the manual to connect the 2, you should be golden.
When I have some time on my hand I will update the install and program guide posted in post #1 to include the actual soldering what to what.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:16 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

actually, it is all on the HD 98 and up manual, last page. see below.
follow the table.

Mode is the right handlebar push button. Mute is the left push... Mute is NOT activated by default, see my instructions in the first post on how to program...

Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 PM
kdawg187
Advanced
Default the plug on the right end of the harness?

Originally Posted by AAWAV
got some questions on the actual install... hope these pics will help.

I cut the "pink/white" wire (2013 FLHX) AFTER the connector (yep - just cut the line)

and grounded the line from the connector (still handlebar site!) to the ciggy lighter ground. other end of the pink/whilte wire I just heat shrink wrapped and taped up on the harness...

harness I made with simple 1.4 inch plastic ribbed tubing... open ended 3 wires on the picture I connected to the HU audio connecter:
ground: black
Power: red
continious power for HU Memory: yellow
these colors are pretty much standard on all well known HU brands...
Ok I just received my Axxess ASWC -1 today which came with a little black box wit a plug that snaps into the box with wires and a 3.5mm jack coming off the other end and a female 3.5mm plug with 2 brown wires coming from it which I shouldn't need and im assuming a 12k -ohm resistor....I dont think I need the female 3.5mm cause I have one on the back of my aftermarket head unit for steering wheel control but the resistor I dont know much about and the plug thats on the right end on your pic I do not have I think....help please?

Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kdawg187
Ok I just received my Axxess ASWC -1 today which came with a little black box wit a plug that snaps into the box with wires and a 3.5mm jack coming off the other end and a female 3.5mm plug with 2 brown wires coming from it which I shouldn't need and im assuming a 12k -ohm resistor....I dont think I need the female 3.5mm cause I have one on the back of my aftermarket head unit for steering wheel control but the resistor I dont know much about and the plug thats on the right end on your pic I do not have I think....help please?
you need metra 99-9600 as well - 20-25 bucks. Not worth splicing into the big 23 pin audio connector on your bike. the metra kit will give you the big connector.

female 3.5mm is only for a select few radios that do not have the 3.5mm plug on the back, but 2 add'l wires.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 AM
kdawg187
Advanced

Originally Posted by AAWAV
you need metra 99-9600 as well - 20-25 bucks. Not worth splicing into the big 23 pin audio connector on your bike. the metra kit will give you the big connector.

female 3.5mm is only for a select few radios that do not have the 3.5mm plug on the back, but 2 add'l wires.
I have the schoshe kit do I still need the Metra also?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

not familiar with scosche kit but according pictures on the web has the 23 pin connector.
please keep in mind it is hard for me to "support" something I am not familiar with. for example I know the resistor(s) needed are already in/on the 23 pin connector that comes with the metra kit. I do not know if the scosche does.

try googling the scosche kit for more info....

Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

kdawg... if you got the Scoche HD7000B kit - I am afraid it will NOT work.
The connector only provides power / ilum./ speaker connections.
do yourself a favor and by the metra kit for 20-22 (ebay is the cheapest I believe).

Quick Reply: ASWC-1 / Metra install AND PROGRAMMING (left push as MUTE) Guide