Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Supercharger with turbo Wastegate Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost
Not Yet, I have been working on my other bike.

I have talked to a local turbo shop and have come up with an idea of how I want to do this. I plan to convert to the procharger side mount intercooler and mount the wastegate before the intecooler inlet. The vacume line will be mounted after the intercooler to more accurately control boost. I want to pully the procharger up to 18-20 PSI and set the wastegate to dump excess boost at 14 PSI. The goal is to hit 150 ft lbs by 3000 rpm and maintain to redline.

It may be a while still before I start this project.

I have the smallest pulley procharger offers for the B-1 (2.55").. that puts me right around 13-14 psi at redline...even if they do have one that is smaller than that you definitely need to see what the rpm limit is for those bearings. You will probably exceed those limits if you are putting a pulley on that is smaller than the 2.55".

Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 PM
FATCAT_01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the main difference between the 3 TC models that ProCharger Offers (softail, dyna, and touring) I know the intercoolers mount different, but what about the primary cover and charger, they are the same on all three aren't they? One would probably just have to change the pipes and cooler to switch from model to model right?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The innercoolers are definetly different.Pretty sure the outer primaries and blowers are the same on all three.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FATCAT_01
What is the main difference between the 3 TC models that ProCharger Offers (softail, dyna, and touring) I know the intercoolers mount different, but what about the primary cover and charger, they are the same on all three aren't they? One would probably just have to change the pipes and cooler to switch from model to model right?

nope, they look the same from the outside, but both use slightly different mounting hardware (i.e. Flat head cap screws as opposed to socket head cap screw).

Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
FATCAT_01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgod1100
nope, they look the same from the outside, but both use slightly different mounting hardware (i.e. Flat head cap screws as opposed to socket head cap screw).
BUT, essentially the primary side would be interchangable correct?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FATCAT_01
The inner/outer primary's are different between the TC and softail models. They would not be interchangeable. Maybe the outer primary might be the same on the Prochargers to save casting costs but the inner would be different.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgod1100
I have the smallest pulley procharger offers for the B-1 (2.55").. that puts me right around 13-14 psi at redline...even if they do have one that is smaller than that you definitely need to see what the rpm limit is for those bearings. You will probably exceed those limits if you are putting a pulley on that is smaller than the 2.55".
Steve, I spoke to Walt at procharger a while back. He said they do have 2.45 and 2.35 pulleys that were not made specifically for the B-1 but will fit. might be good for 16-18 PSI respectively. He did mention that belt slip might become an issue if you go that small. We didn't discuss impeller rpm or bearing life. Will have to follow up on that.

He also mentioned (if I recall correctly) an 8 rib belt/pulley set up but it was allot more work/money/effort than i'm willing to commit to

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, I spoke to Walt at procharger a while back. He said they do have 2.45 and 2.35 pulleys that were not made specifically for the B-1 but will fit. might be good for 16-18 PSI respectively. He did mention that belt slip might become an issue if you go that small. We didn't discuss impeller rpm or bearing life. Will have to follow up on that.

He also mentioned (if I recall correctly) an 8 rib belt/pulley set up but it was allot more work/money/effort than i'm willing to commit to
I know from experience that you don't want to pull much more than 6000rpm's with the 255 pulley.You will spin the bearings.Your best bet is to turn it up to 6500rpm's get your numbers then back your rev limiter back down to 6000.I'm not convinced yet that running a smaller pulley is the answer to more power.Frank has been seeing bikes with 265 pulleys pulling better numbers than the builds with 255's.I just seems like they start stacking up with the 255's,we've seen that with mine and I'm running a Drago Built Threshold 107" with Stage4 heads.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

really?? you just made my day!!!! Belt slip wouldn't be a huge problem for me because I actually re-routed the idler pulley so it's actually pushing down on the belt not up. My brother and i did this while we were re-doing the whole engine. I turned down the grooves on the idler pulley so it's now smooth (since it's now pressing on the outside part of the belt. It dramatically increases belt wrap and the tighter you go the more belt wrap you get....the original design has you tightening the belt and actually getting less belt wrap the tighter you go. This also enables you to not have the belt as tight as the original design which will increase bearing life. let me know if you want some pics of this...it's a simple mod that helps out a ton!

Let me know if you hear anything else from Walt...i may give him a call myself to get more info on this.

thanks again for letting me know about this!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
I know from experience that you don't want to pull much more than 6000rpm's with the 255 pulley.You will spin the bearings.Your best bet is to turn it up to 6500rpm's get your numbers then back your rev limiter back down to 6000.I'm not convinced yet that running a smaller pulley is the answer to more power.Frank has been seeing bikes with 265 pulleys pulling better numbers than the builds with 255's.I just seems like they start stacking up with the 255's,we've seen that with mine and I'm running a Drago Built Threshold 107" with Stage4 heads.

Hey Kevin, I'm wondering if the bottleneck may be the intercooler setup that comes with the bagger procharger kits..i know that Frank has tested without the intercooler, but this isn't too accurate because now you have no way to cool the air down before it goes into the engine so what ever gains you would get without the intercooler may not be seen because now the air is much hotter (less dense)...I may want to be the guinnea pig for those smaller pulleys! lol...just because we have different intercooler setups maybe that would tell us something

Quick Reply: Supercharger with turbo Wastegate Install