Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Custom Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/custom-models-12/)
-   -   Using and installing Foot clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/custom-models/1223384-using-and-installing-foot-clutch.html)

davidstipek 03-16-2018 01:41 AM

Using and installing Foot clutch

I had already posted this elseware in the Forum, but was directed to also post here.

I want to use a foot clutch, on my Custom Build. So everyone knows upfront it is not a Harley! They are (if you can find) extremely Expensive here, in Thailand.

I have a clutch bracket on the right side of engine that like Harleys uses a cable :icon_drink: since whatever I use is going to have to be a pull oriented design. I made a cable, which I routed to the leftside of engine forwards close to my foreward Controls (Shift) I am thinking about using my shift lever as I created a bracket using the end of my original brake rod, as it has at one end two holes in it to use brake rod pin (original pin) to connect to foot shift lever where shift rod linkage bolted to it with bearing/rod end. (I will post pictures here) My cable has the same type end on it that it used with hand clutch, but until I get it close to being adjusted it will remain removable with side screw. I have cable bracket mounts that let me fine tune clutch cable adjustments on both sides of the engine. I have a Jockey Shift Lever to hand shift with.

Now of a little concern... Can I leave my hand clutch lever attached? (Using a double clevis)? Kinda concerned about my wife riding build. she could use whichever clutch lever/pedal she felt comfortable with..
Any help here is welcome! Ideas will be wholeheartedly listened to, Your pictures and maybe a short video of it being use would be a definite ++ :icon_worthless:https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...b527617cae.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...e2377b043f.jpg

FreedomRider 03-20-2018 06:51 AM

If you leave the hand clutch lever attached and functioning ... how will you shift up or down if you use the hand clutch lever? I could see it taking a third hand which most of us don't have ... I say this guessing you will be using a jockey shift.

davidstipek 03-20-2018 09:46 PM

Maybe having both is not a good idea...
I thought having the hand clutch connected too would let her when she was stopped to set both feet on the ground... Then an easy release and accelerate, using foot clutch and jockey Hand shift to go thru the 5 gears. I do have 6 indicator lights that tell you if you are in neutral or 1-5th gear. (There is a small panel that shows at a glance depending how many red-LED's are lite what gear she is in, at speedo there is green LED for neutral)

Again my thought was until she got used to bike having hand clutch when she needed to stop (and put both feet down. Then as she got comfortable just shifting to neutral would suffice.
But I agree with you all, my explanation might not have been perfect. Thanks for discussing this!

FreedomRider 03-21-2018 06:10 AM

50 years ago I learned to ride a 1949 Harley with only a foot clutch and hand shift ... though not ideal to learn with for a new rider, it is possible to learn a sequence that will allow you to stop with both feet on the ground ... drawback is you stop in neutral, which is not what you really want to do ... stopping in neutral does not let you get away quickly if you need to so you don't get run over.

davidstipek 03-21-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FreedomRider (Post 17197518)
If you leave the hand clutch lever attached and functioning ... how will you shift up or down if you use the hand clutch lever? I could see it taking a third hand which most of us don't have ... I say this guessing you will be using a jockey shift.

I was thinking about leaving the Hand clutch connected, adding a foot clutch (Already added Jockey Shift. for my wife so she could when she rolls to a stop, use the hand clutch to get both feet on the ground. Then using the foot clutch get into 1st gear, ready to start rolling again. after she totally got used to foot clutch, remove hand clutch... that's all. She's small don't weigh much that's why I built this Springer Chopper with a low profile but same length as Stretched Sportsters But I used a 200cc 5 speed... To balance her weight.

FreedomRider 03-21-2018 05:04 PM

I understand what you are trying to do ... if you do this, I would suggest taking her and the bike to an empty parking lot and have her practice, practice, then practice some more till she is comfortable with the process of using both levers ... in a panic situation it might get confusing ... she needs to be careful, best of luck

davidstipek 03-21-2018 09:29 PM

Totally agree Freedomrider:icon_tinykitball:

davidstipek 04-08-2018 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by FreedomRider (Post 17197518)

To further explain, I guess better is:
The Jockey shift will be right handed, as Indian Motorcycle. Then Clutch cable will run from Clutch (Right side of Engine) tp Factory cable adjustment screw as sown in picture (black Bracket) to left side of engine (Chrome Bracket). Cable will then attach to top of Foot Clutch pivot at base of foot lever (1:00 position). Pulling cable forward when clutch depressed. Foot pedal also has a cable connection at 05:00 position. If I connect Hand clutch cable here, when hand clutch squeezed, will pull foot clutch back. also depressing foot clutch which will in turn engage clutch. I will have to use same style cable adjustment bracket here also, welding to frame. I have 6 LED's 5 red and 1 green all at reduced power that I have been using for gear indicators as 1st gear is engaged one LED will light, as each gear is engaged another LED will luminate. So when in Top gear all 5 will be lit. I am also thinking of adding a Bracket around shift lever which, like Ingian is on right side of fuel tank and adding these LED's in same sequence of shift pattern.

This way she (Wife) can used either left hand or foot to engage Clutch, so when stopped, she can if needed use her feet to steady Bike, right hand to select gear needed then either right foot or hand to use brake if location warrants their use. so she will always have access to clutch and brakes. Bike idles beautifully at 900-1100 RPM. Looking down at shift lever (jockey Shift) will tell her what gear she is in.

I know this is confusing I will attach Picture of Indian (side views) I have shown idea of shifter placement and linkage idea, only thing I have not shown here is Aluminum Guard (Plate to protect shift handle and LED's) It will attach to tank on right side as Harley's did on Left.
David

Please any Ideas on this??? Or should I just not give Wife this Ride??? :icon_steer:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...488113b28b.jpgUsing this idea on right side of Bike. Then linkage bracket on left would extend thru frame to left side of Bike....
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...ba14e29e03.jpgusing pivot on right to extend to right side of bike thru frame then using factory linkage connect pivot to shift lever on left side of engine . relocating angle to either pull up or push down to change gears.

FreedomRider 04-11-2018 06:52 AM

I understand what you are trying to do and it sounds like you have thought it through.

"when hand clutch squeezed, will pull foot clutch back. also depressing foot clutch which will in turn engage clutch. "

Wonder how hard the hand lever will pull in order to not only disengage the clutch, but also move the foot lever as well.

"Or should I just not give Wife this Ride???"

You know her better than anyone ... you have to decide if this is something she can handle ... not only everyday but in a panic situation also. Best of luck

johnjzjz 04-11-2018 08:52 PM

indian correct is throttle in the left hand

ignition retard and advance in the right hand with the front brake lever

the shifter is on the right - forward is first then pull back neutral then second and hi gear

indian foot clutch is heal to go a Harley to toe to go - Harley 45 trike is lift the clutch like a car stick shift

the pre 1940s indian scout in the picture has been converted to left shifter and controls like a Harley / but the clutch is heal to go the lever on the primary is up not down needed to be toe to go

in my shop we have done what you thinking for people with disability's, as having more then one way to operate the clutch even the shifter is a plus for some