Custom Models All custom bikes.

quick question about hub rebuild for a custom wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 AM
deweyrose
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about hub rebuild for a custom wheel.

i am working on a cutom bike that supposedly has wheels from a fatboy. they are solid disc. the owner was told that the wheels came from a 88 fatboy. is that possible? didn't know they made fatboy back then. but in any case the wheels are solid and i am trying to get the ale shaft out. and it aint movin. the bearings and such came loose but no shaft side to side movement. can i get some help with this? The wheel looks like it is a 2 piece (bolted together) but i cannot be sure until i get it off.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: quick question about hub rebuild for a custom wheel.

What happens is through water contact, like washing the bike etc., is that the axle rusts together with the axle spacer.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You're going to have to beat it out.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; the cure for this is to put a thin coating of anti-seize on the axle before you put it in.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Long story short, beat it out, get a new axle, spacer and bearings and some anti-seize (permatex makes good stuff).
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
First year for the Fatboy was 1990.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The guy probably meant 1998.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
~Joe
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
stroker93
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated the fatboy came out in 90..they have a 3/4 axle and bearing set up. It is a solid wheel ,one piece construction. I would use an air chisel with a drift attachment to remove the axle, spray a lot of penetrating oil and let it sit. You will have to install new bearings and races,,,this means that you will have to adjust the endplay on new bearings. There is a piece of water pipe inside as a spacer with shims for adjustment, the shims will fall into the hollow part of the rim when axle is removed ,,,watch for this.....If not famillar with doing this job,,,take it to a shop....I've done this job for a shop and wheel spacing matters.
Dave

Old 07-03-2008, 09:47 AM
deweyrose
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks allot for your input.&nbsp\\; very help full. will the wheel come off if i take off the slider nuts?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hard to say without seeing it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hate to say it, but you are learning the hard way about antiseize on the axle.[]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I know....it sucks.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Might as well just take deep breath and get it over with, and use anti-seize!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If you can't get it out of the frame, then you will have to do it in the frame, or cut the axle close to the hub on both sides with a saw (sawzall) and then start on the beating.[&o]\\\\\\;
~Joe
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;