Custom Models All custom bikes.

american ironhorse 05 legend cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 435 Likes on 246 Posts
Default RE: american ironhorse 05 legend cuts off

the mechanic tells me he found a loose connection at the main circuit breaker, tightened it and it didn't cut off during a test ride. However he says the carb sucked in some type of seal while he was riding it and now he has ordered a new carb for it.

I told him I checked all the wiring connections before ever bringing the bike in and I found none loose. If the main breaker had a bad connection it seems like I would have lost lights, gauges, starter and everything. The only thing I ever lost was spark. Starter, lights, gauges still worked. Any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
The PWN C-Dub (08-11-2022)
Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

the bike ran fine the day I picked it up (about 60 miles). Saturday morning it wouldn't start. I took the ignition module off and rode my Harley to the AIH dealer. He gave me a new module. I installed it and the bike fired right up. Rode a few miles and it cut off again and was hard to restart. Sunday it ran perfect all day (about 125 miles). Monday if cut off 3 or 4 times.

Coils, Crank Position Sensor,......................?????????????????

Any ideas?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the wonderful electrical world of American Ironhorse, I have seen broken wires in a frame, many many skinned wires, we worked on one last week, that the Iron horse dealer had just given up on, and I told the customer, we can either rewire it, and do it right, or we can chase it, until we find it, but you wont like the bill, and you could still have a problem if there is more than one problem. We rewired the entire bike, and it's running great with no problems, think this is like the forth or fifth bike now.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a certain year or years prone to the wiring issues?

Jim

Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

replaced both coils and the bike fired right up. went down the road and a few miles later it cut off.

Sunday I replaced the crank position sensor and it seems to be perfect now. I rode itabout 50 miles Sunday night and about 150 miles on Monday and it has not shown any problem at all. I'm fairly sure the crank position sensor was the culprit all along.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

bike still runs perfect after almost a week and many miles. must have been the crank position sensor.

The following users liked this post:
The PWN C-Dub (08-11-2022)
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
jntravaglini
6th Gear

I SUBMITTED THE ORIGINAL ENTRY ABOUVE. SINCE THEN THE LEGEND HAS BEEN TO TEXAS TWICE. THE GUYS AT AIH HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC. THEY REPLACE THE PETCOCK AND CRANK SENSOR AFTER DUPLICATING THE PROBLEM. INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS ARE HARD TO FIND AND FIX. EVEN AFTER ALL OF THIS AND MY WARRANTY EXPIRING, FOR GOOD MEASURE THEY HAD MY LOCAL WARRANTY REP PUT IN A NEW IGN COIL. THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM WITH THE OLD DESIGN. SO FAR IT SEEMS TO A-OKAY. THE DEALER I BOUGHT IT FROM WROTE ME OFF AFTER MONEY CHANGED HANDS. I BYPASSED HIM AND DEALT WITH AIH IN TEXAS. L.T. AND DAVE MARTINEZ WERE GREAT. THEY HAD A GENUINE INTEREST IN HELPING ME AND DID MORE THAN I EXPECTED. THE SELLING DEALER DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I HAD DONE THIS. I LIVE IN MYRTLE BEACH AND WENT TO SEE L.T. AND DAVE AT THE AIH DISPLAY. THE DEALER ALSO SETS UP IN THE SAME SPOT. WHEN HE SAW ME THERE WAS A COLD EXCHANGE OF HELLOS. WHEN I INFORMED HIM THAT AIH WAS DEALING DIRECT WITH ME AND BYPASSING HIM BY USING THE LOCAL WARRANTY REP HE WAS UPSET TO SAY THE LEAST. I TOLD HIM TO STAY OUT OF IT AND I WOULD HANDLE MY OWN PROBLEMS WITHOUT HIS HELP. IT SEEMS THAT THE FACTORY HAS HAD ISSUES OTHER THAN MINE WITH HIM. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WITH AIH AT ALL. THEY HAVE DONE ME RIGHT. THROUGHT THIS WHOLE ORDEAL THEY PERFORMED BEYOND EXPECTATIONS. BY THE WAY, I DID SPEAK WITH ROLLO AT TENN MTR SPTS. HE IS A COOL GUY. DIDN'T KNOW ME AT ALL AND STILL TOOK THE TIME TO TALK WITH ME ABOUT MY PROBLEM. AIH SAID THAT THEY WOULD CONTINUE TO STAND BEHIND THE BIKE SHOULD THIS PROBLEM REOCCUR . EVEN THOUGH IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR?
J N TRAVAGLINI

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Like I keep saying - the problem is not with AIH, its with individual dealers. Find a good dealer and you will be OK. Mark Long AIH in Fredericksburg VA is top notch.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
GLOBS180
Stage II

anyone know how to remove the baffle on the 2005 american ironhorse legend. or know of types of exhaust to replace the factory one besides the vance and hines one????

Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Julio A. Maldonado
Stage II

I am having an issue right now after riding for about 45 minutes to an hour, the lights cut off. Still have signals and brake lights but no main lights. If I stop for a little while the lights turn on again, but after a short while riding they turn off again.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: american ironhorse 05 legend cuts off