Custom Models All custom bikes.

Looking at a 2006 Big Dog Pitbull...Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking at a 2006 Big Dog Pitbull...Thoughts?

Been wanting a chopper for quite some time and came across a 2006 Red Big Dog Pitbull with 2500 miles on it. Original owner, cover and charger for 16K. I've heard both good and bad, but what was once a 34K bike with a killer look!

Whadyathink?

Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 2006 Big Dog Pitbull...Thoughts?-pitbull.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
ToXiK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks cool to me...

Old 07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i dig it

Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

How about the price?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do It Do It Do It

Just got a 2007 Big Dog Chopper--- with 2500 miles on it and about $5000 worth (hard costs) of BD Accessories--- Bike is literally showroom condition--- paid $16000 for it-- and I love it !!

Takes a little getting used to--- not smooth and refined like a Harley--- these are ***** out--- hold the FU*K on, loud obnoxious, vibrating, gorgeous hotrod show machines, 117" S&S is a monster--go and show--with huge bouncy Venom rear tires---- you WILL get a lot of attention---

hard throttle cable is great, much better than the mushy FBW-- and the BD tranny blows Harley away--- shifts like silk instead of the THUNK/BANG of the Harley

every bar, gas station, stop light--- people stop and talk--- lots of compliments--- mom not too happy as she now has a small suction cup seat instead of the big comfy touring rig lazyboy she was used to---

they also do not handle like a Harley--- especially the longer ones (Chopper/K-9)--- oh yeah, the stock clutch would give Popeye a hard time--- they have a kit for that--- "easy pull" clutch upgrade --- think it is about $500 or so installed (not sure on price)

AND, service on the BD will not be as convenient-- service centers are few and far between-- and I hear that Harley will NOT work on them

so, you tour, or barhop?? that would be decisive to me

PS-- Don't get me wrong-- love the Harley--- just a completely different bike/ride

Last edited by papa_freeman; 07-20-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

That's a NICE bike! Congrats! And thanks for the input. I love the Harley, but just don't have the time to go on long trips...working 3 jobs at the moment. I also have a Hayabusa that I had bought to replace a 2004 CBR 1000RR. The BD would replace the Busa because at the time I got it, I had intended on doing a lot more mountain riding. In 2 years, I may have gone once? And since the prices for these have gone down so much, after months of looking I think I really like the Pitbull. He's asking 17K, it books for 14K. Sure he'll take 16k, but any help in the downward direction would be very helpful.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
CyberDuke
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YtseJam
Been wanting a chopper for quite some time and came across a 2006 Red Big Dog Pitbull with 2500 miles on it. Original owner, cover and charger for 16K. I've heard both good and bad, but what was once a 34K bike with a killer look!

Whadyathink?
A «a killer look» that leaves you stranded by the side of the road is not worth it. All Big Dog motorcycles have problems with the EHC, also if bike gets wet you stand a chance to get stuck. Most Big Dog owners change the EHC to Wire Plus to avoid these problems. Check the Big Dog Forums and you will learn a lot about those bikes: http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/. If you like the look of those bikes get a Big Bear instead, much more reliable.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
GermDog48
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike.....I had a 2005 Ridgeback. Bought it new for around $37K back in 2005. Was a little cold natured, other than that was a great bike. Got a TON of attention. For your price, very well worth it!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
YtseJam
Road Master

Thanks all for taking the time to offer opinions. I'm going to meet with the seller tomorrow night, I'll let you know!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CyberDuke
A «a killer look» that leaves you stranded by the side of the road is not worth it. All Big Dog motorcycles have problems with the EHC, also if bike gets wet you stand a chance to get stuck. Most Big Dog owners change the EHC to Wire Plus to avoid these problems. Check the Big Dog Forums and you will learn a lot about those bikes: http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/. If you like the look of those bikes get a Big Bear instead, much more reliable.
Never left me stranded anywhere. I have no idea why water is going to affect a BD any different than any other bike.

Sure, go with Big Bear if you want to pay double---

A BD with less than 3000 miles on an S&S motor is very reliable--- not had a single issue with mine yet-- I've only read about a few 'ECH problems'--- wouldn't matter to me if my bike had them too--

Big Bear has their own issues---

Here is one at:

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2008/04...ppers-recalls/
"BBC only stepped up because their welds broke on one of their customers and resulted in a crash. That gentleman then attempted a remedy through Big Bear Choppers who wouldn’t stand behind their machine so he reported it to the National Highway Traffic Safetly Administration who forced the recall. He has also filed a lawsuit against Big Bear Choppers.
He is not the only one as there is another lawsuit pending when a gentleman lost his leg through faulty workmanship of Big Bear Choppers that resulted in a crash.
If you read their proposed remedy on the NHSTA website, they are sending out neck gussets and allowing $300 for paint and transport since the bikes can’t be ridden.
Could you strip your bike, weld in the gusset, match your paint, and reassemble for $300?"

Here are more:
http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/...bear_choppers/

As for price--- I don't know about your market, but in NorCal I wouldn't pay over book value--- in fact, you can find them under book.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2006 Big Dog Pitbull...Thoughts?