Custom Models All custom bikes.

Agree or disagree

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 AM
1987fxr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its been a few days but ill post anyways ive had customs both store bought(got one in a deal) and built and imo store bought customs are queer id rather see something with some heart and soul put in it or a customized harley i feel companies like saxon and aih are for the kids that where beat up in high school so they could just buy something thats pretending to be badass so they can pretend to be badass riding it lol

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skydiver40
Most factory chopper owners I have heard about have trouble getting warranty work done, unlike Harley.
How many times have you gone to Harley for "warranty" work and had them bend over backwards to help you ?? Just sayn'

I have a custom and a Harley and love em both. Like another poster stated they are what they are.....whatever makes you happy. No sense cutting down either of them. They both have their place.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
1987fxr
Advanced

i honestly think if you want a custom build one dont buy one if you want a reliabe daily rider buy a harely leave it stock and ride it

Old 09-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Skydiver40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i honestly think if you want a custom build one dont buy one if you want a reliabe daily rider buy a harely leave it stock and ride it
I agree with that statement but if you don't have the time or knowledge to build one and a lot of people don't, A factory "chopper" is a good option. You get a lot more bang for your buck.

Lets see, I could buy a HD Softail for around 10K with a stock low horse power engine. It always amuses me to see a guy with a HD at Bike Week roll up to the dyno, run though the gears make a lot of noise then the announcer says "70 horse power" and the guy looks like a whipped puppy as he rolls away. You can then spend a ton of $$ to make that thing put out 100 hp or so. Add a big rear tire for $4K, put another $4K into it for aftermarket seat, pegs, bars, wheels and pipes ect. Then you can spring for another $4K for a custom paint job. Or you can buy a used Bigdog, AIH ect with a 100hp or better S&S with all the above for around $12K or less. Don't get me wrong I am NOT slamming Harley, if you need a daily rider as transportation or you ride on long trips you can't beat it. Harley is the Mother Ship of most customs. It still comes down to what YOU want to ride in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
1987fxr
Advanced

true but when the sticker price on a store bought custom is 30k you could buy a frame ad drivetrain paint it how you want and put nasty tins on it and have a 1 off bike or even a hr3 kit bike but i do agree with prices as they ae factory customs are alot for the money since you can get a 100 horse custom for 10k now but i do see it a full screaming eagle 106 makes like 90 horse lol my revtech 88 inch made 90 horse and 92 ftlbs ill be doing a 100 inch revtech in my rat lowrider a 100 horse fxr would spank any big tire bike

Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Skydiver40
Advanced

true but when the sticker price on a store bought custom is 30k you could buy a frame ad drivetrain paint it how you want and put nasty tins on it and have a 1 off bike or even a hr3 kit bike but i do agree with prices as they ae factory customs are alot for the money since you can get a 100 horse custom for 10k now but i do see it a full screaming eagle 106 makes like 90 horse lol my revtech 88 inch made 90 horse and 92 ftlbs ill be doing a 100 inch revtech in my rat lowrider a 100 horse fxr would spank any big tire bike
No doubt when comparing new bikes the home built custom is the way to go IMO. Someday I plan to build one. I am used to building four wheel projects, the AIH is my first bike ever just trying to see if I really like riding two wheels or not and so far I DO! The AIH is just a weekend toy, I drive a Sheriff's issue unmarked to and from work every day. If I had to ride my bike to work for tranportation I would have bought a Harley.

This was my last hobby:

Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Skydiver40
Advanced

the kids that where beat up in high school so they could just buy something thats pretending to be badass so they can pretend to be badass riding it lol
That reminds me of all the people I see at Bike Week wearing their black leather "Village People" costume. I think it must be law somewhere that if you ride a Harley all of your clothing must say "Harley" on it.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:37 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skydiver40
That reminds me of all the people I see at Bike Week wearing their black leather "Village People" costume. I think it must be law somewhere that if you ride a Harley all of your clothing must say "Harley" on it.
damn, I must be a real desperado. I don't own a single stitch of clothing with h-d on it.
actually, in last 15 years or so, I've been to a dealership twice. to order a spare key to my new/used bike and to pick it up.
F 'em in their F'n F hole. I support my local INDY SHOPS.
and thats after 30 years riding 9 hd's including buying 3 evo's from them brand new.

with that being said, if I wanted a trully custom bike, I'd build it from scratch. I just don't get how a "custom" can be massproduced at a factory.
my preference is still used hd. I can find them cheap, keep them mostly stock and ride the wheels off 'em.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Skydiver40
Advanced

I don't own a single stitch of clothing with h-d on it.
You my friend are a rare breed in the Harley world. I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a HD shirt or being proud of what you ride but I see so many people take it to extremes, ie Harley shirt, Harley helmet, Harley hear wrap, Harley jacket ect ect.

I just don't get how a "custom" can be massproduced at a factory.
It can't, bikes like mine I consider chopper look a likes. It has most of the same parts a custom chopper has but they are mass produced. If you look at the AIH logo it says "American Ironhorse Motorcycles" not choppers. The true chopper guys don't like them and the Harley crowd doesn't either. I like em though.

This thread has been hi jacket worse than a Seven Eleven on 45th St. The origonal question is Saxon better than Harley. To that I would have to say which Harley and which Saxon? Are you comparing their best "Chopper" model to a Sportser? A Saxon to a Road King? It all depends, I might like the Saxon to ride up to "Bike Night" but if I am going to ride a thousand miles I probably want a Road King. On the other hand like Jessie James said when he built and rode his true custom chopper to Sturgis, "you might like the comfort of your bagger on the trip but once you get there you will wish you rode your cool bike".

Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 AM
1987fxr
Advanced

build a cool bike that is comfortable to you and you only so it wwill look uncomfortable to everyone else and is just as badass as the bikes they complain about riding my kenny boise framed bike was wicked comfy with 18 inch hanger a revtech it was nasty won trophies iand id rode it anywhere built and beat by me then sold like a retard but whatever ride what you like if you like harleys to ride all the time do it if you want a store bought custom buy one i just hate it when they call them custom cause there not just saying but theyll be considered custom but a sick harley thats been totally reinvented wont be its still considered a harley i never get it and i wont im sure

Quick Reply: Agree or disagree