Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Mind as well just wash the bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 04:59 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I can see were WW can be a pain with the overspray. This is how I do the bikes that are brought to me and I do them in the garage. Maybe it will work for you , maybe not. Just offering up my take on it.

Spray down and soak from the gas tank forward. Clean that half and then do the back half the same way. By soaking I mean it's running off the paint, heavy spray. I can do a bike with a tour pack in less than 10 min, dried and done. Wheels can be done also, depending on how much crap is on them. **The bikes I do I have already coated along with the rims. So, it makes it extremely easy. I will go thru around 32oz of WW doing a bike, wheels included. If I think its to dirty to do it this way I wash it another way. Echo2 is really really good once you have the dilution ratio down.

There are a lot of people that don't like WW. Hell I didn't like it either at first but I kept messing around with it and trying different ways to do it and its worked out for me. What bothers me is the amount of time it takes to dry the bike. Leaf blower, air compressor, all to get water out of all those places that store it until you ride and then it blows out.

Maybe check out Ammo Frothe. I haven't used that one but its a different approach to it
Wow... 10 min... I am really slow. But yea with anything, the more you do it, the better you get. Im not gonna give up ... well I actually have the big container of it bought. So need to get my moneys worth!!

Old 10-06-2023, 05:11 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 313 Posts

I like the bikini wash. Just sit close by and watch. Only problem is they are only at rallies

The following users liked this post:
westay (11-23-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 05:34 PM
cj24
Road Master

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
I like the bikini wash. Just sit close by and watch. Only problem is they are only at rallies
Hmm... you have a point. Maybe I will ask my wife to put on a bikini and wash my bike? LmAO thats not happening!

Old 10-06-2023, 07:57 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
Wow... 10 min... I am really slow. But yea with anything, the more you do it, the better you get. Im not gonna give up ... well I actually have the big container of it bought. So need to get my moneys worth!!
Are you using tap water or DI water? Ratio? What protection do you have on the paint? Are you having to go over it multiple times when drying to get the blotching off?

Old 10-07-2023, 02:32 PM
cj24
Road Master

Are you using tap water or DI water? Ratio? What protection do you have on the paint? Are you having to go over it multiple times when drying to get the blotching off?
I am using DI water and Paint Guard Plus of the paint. If I remember correct 1:15 ratio. I don't have to go over multi times to get rid of blotch. Really it's just the overspray getting over everything and then having to clean that up.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:34 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Try spraying the whole front of the bike down and doing that part. Then move to the back. See if thats any better

Old 10-07-2023, 07:17 PM
cj24
Road Master

Try spraying the whole front of the bike down and doing that part. Then move to the back. See if thats any better
Yep try that. Me just trying to hit the tins with ww is not the method I guess.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:49 AM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

Interesting thread. I wipe down my bikes/trike after every ride. When I’ve sold a motorcycle 10 or 20 years later I’ve cared for it looks so close to new that I get my price. For chrome or polished metal that needs help I use Top Brite - Duron Metal Polish. If I need a wax I use lightly Maguires cleaner wax w/carnuba wax.

I’ve used this for decades, aka Honda Pro Cleaner. I swear by it. It’s similar to the stuff Harley sells and I also have the Yamaha product that is a little different. I also Like HD’s spray gloss or Maguires equivalent for light work. This spirits gets the bugs, grime, brake dust off without water or drying. Can spray direct or onto a soft cloth. Safe on all surfaces except tires and great for cleaning windshields. I do not own anything with a matte finish so I can’t speak to that. I’d be surprised if it caused any harm. I never used water
  • Cleans away road grime, grease, and bugs without water
  • Polishes paint and chrome
  • Repels water
  • Anti - static properties reduce dust build-up
  • 50 State VOC compliant
  • in over 44 years I never used water and a bucket or a hose to wash a bike. Great way to get corrosion started where ya can’t easily see it. If I ride through a heavy rain storm I’ll do the whole bike with it. I even get on my back to use it under the bike, frame, swingarm….. Micro fiber to clean and polyester cloths to polish, avoid nylon blends they can scratch. This goes in my saddlebag for trips.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ytcoinshooter:
StanC (11-24-2023), Steelie68 (11-27-2023), westay (11-23-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 07:46 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

I tried that bike spirits once. Never again.
Polish = Abrasives. How are you polishing without abrasives? Polyester??

Last edited by eaglefan1; 10-10-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:04 AM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

I tried that bike spirits once. Never again.
Polish = Abrasives. How are you polishing without abrasives? Polyester??
No expansion on why ya don’t like Bike Spirits…? To each…
No abrasives. If there is considerable grime and dirt I can easily take it off without grinding it into the finish by spraying the product directly on. No worries about overspray because it’s compatible with all surfaces on my bikes. The cloth I use to gently remove the heavy grime is not used for polishing. I’d also never use a dropped microfiber cloth because the fibers retain debris. Swap to a clean one for further work or polishing. The surfaces of all my bikes are easier to clean because of the products I use. What I use works for me and I’m careful. Many comments I’ve received about why my bike looks so clean after we ride through the rain is because less ordinary crap adheres to my finishes. I was just offering what I do and why. YMMV
Opinions about cleaning products reminds me of the best oil threads.
Came across this old thread and this guy says it well and short.

scott01 , 02-15-2015 02:20 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
I have a black Street Glide with no scratches, swirls or water spots and I haven't used a water hose on it in over 2 years. I use Mcguire's Ultimate Quick detail spray and clean microfiber towels. The trick is to keep a GOOD coat of quality wax on it so the bugs and dirt don't stick as well. Think of it like this, your paint is porous just like your skin. If you fill those pores with wax, the bugs and dirt can't grab the slick surface and they slide right off. For the engine I use Pig Spit. Just spray it on and leave it - looks like new.

Last edited by Ytcoinshooter; 10-10-2023 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Steelie68 (11-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Mind as well just wash the bike...