Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Foam cannons, pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 11:00 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

A foam cannon is used with a pressure washer. A foam gun is used with a garden hose.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 10:00 AM
NZLowrider
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Do y'all use a pressure washer or just the hose on the foamer?
I use a pressure washer but very carefully, I put a plastic bag over the air-cleaner, I also remove the seat and put a towel over the wiring etc & instruments speedo etc, I spray the bike some gentle motorbike cleaner (mainly for the engine and wheels) then with a wide fan spray nozzle (40 degree) give the bike a pre-wash with the pressure washer being careful not to spray onto any delicate spots eg wheel bearings, wiring and not getting the nozzle too close to the paint to do any sort of damage,Next I use the foam cannon pretty much over the entire bike, then hose off the soap after a few minutes of soak time with the pressure washer, My pressure washer is lower than 2000psi, I use a small leaf blower to dry then either wax (ceramic) or I use a detailer if was recently waxes

Goose_NC (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 11:31 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,273 Likes on 2,002 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
A foam cannon is used with a pressure washer. A foam gun is used with a garden hose.
Originally Posted by NZLowrider
I use a pressure washer but very carefully, I put a plastic bag over the air-cleaner, I also remove the seat and put a towel over the wiring etc & instruments speedo etc, I spray the bike some gentle motorbike cleaner (mainly for the engine and wheels) then with a wide fan spray nozzle (40 degree) give the bike a pre-wash with the pressure washer being careful not to spray onto any delicate spots eg wheel bearings, wiring and not getting the nozzle too close to the paint to do any sort of damage,Next I use the foam cannon pretty much over the entire bike, then hose off the soap after a few minutes of soak time with the pressure washer, My pressure washer is lower than 2000psi, I use a small leaf blower to dry then either wax (ceramic) or I use a detailer if was recently waxes
Thanks for the clarification!!

My work shop is about 50 feet from the house, and my yard hydrant beside that is a long way from the my main well line. So I use a small electric pressure washer to help me wash my cages and RV. I use the low pressure tips. But I do not use it on my motorcycle. I guess I could using the low pressure tip to rinse.

Now I am wondering if I still have that GRIOT foamer...and try to figure out if it was intended for use on a hose or pressure washer.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:47 AM
NZLowrider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Thanks for the clarification!!

My work shop is about 50 feet from the house, and my yard hydrant beside that is a long way from the my main well line. So I use a small electric pressure washer to help me wash my cages and RV. I use the low pressure tips. But I do not use it on my motorcycle. I guess I could using the low pressure tip to rinse.

Now I am wondering if I still have that GRIOT foamer...and try to figure out if it was intended for use on a hose or pressure washer.
No problem as for the foam cannon some are both for the pressure washer and just a hose, it depends on the connection i suppose you get a better foam from a pressure washer

Old 02-05-2024, 10:05 PM
jonrodt3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this and really like it. Quick detach so you can switch back to just water.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:27 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
Get a foam "gun" not a canon. It attaches to a garden hose, not the pressure washer and does essentially the same thing without driving dirt into your paint.

Matt
that's what I use

Old 02-06-2024, 09:39 AM
NZLowrider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Smiles
Get a foam "gun" not a canon. It attaches to a garden hose, not the pressure washer and does essentially the same thing without driving dirt into your paint.

Matt
A foam cannon (the one attached to a pressure washer) does not drive dirt into your paint or anywhere else if used correctly with the correct pressure, A pressure washer is not like the water-blaster pushing out 3000+ psi of pressure, a pressure washer should be around 2000psi or a bit below (using a wide angled spray nozzle when washing the foam off) I am pretty cautious and don't directly spray the speedo/tach, wiring connections and wheel bearings,

Last edited by NZLowrider; 02-06-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Rusty Springs (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:15 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

I use a foam cannon and a 1600psi electric pressure washer for my vehicles and even my camper. I don't break it out every time, as it just adds an extra step, but when really dirty I like using it as a pre-wash. the foam guns attached to a garden hose don't put out nearly the volume of foam that a cannon does. as others said, just keep the pressure rinse off switches, radio, wheel bearings and you'll be fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by steveh326:
Circa58 (02-27-2024), NZLowrider (02-08-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 01:20 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 523 Likes on 271 Posts
Talking Hope This Helps...

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Anybody here use a foam cannon?
Yes.
Are they worth the money?
Yes.
Do they eliminate the the need to hand rub?
No, use a good quality 'real' sheepskin mitt for that.
Is special soap required or will regular car wash soap work?
No, any regular car soap will work but... it's best to get high foaming soap that is specially made for use in foam cannons.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:49 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

When I decided to try a foam cannon, I watched a lot of videos on car detailing. I got the cheap electric Walmart brand cube sprayer like around $100, and a good gun. The key for foaming is gpm. Most of the pro users like under 1500 psi at the gun, but like 1.5 to 2 gpm for output. You can get away a 1.2 gpm sprayer there are many, some better than others. Soaps that are ph neutral will not harm the paint finish. Soaps that are not, clean better but you need to be a bit more cautious and quicker to rinse. Overall it has been a positive experiment, I would however get a pump with a bit more output. You always lower a higher pressure pump by using a larger nozzle and increasing the volume. I use mine on the bike and family vehicles. Note, on the wheels, I may use s100 spray then rinse before foaming.

NZLowrider (02-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Foam cannons, pros and cons?