Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Mothers Clay Bar - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Tear a portion off this way if you drop it you don't have to throw out the entire bar. I keep my clay bar in a ziplock plastic bag.

+1.

Also it's better than the Meguiars and the blue clay one. Mother's is a few dollars more but it won't leave streaks. I've tried the other two and they do. Just make sure you keep the surface wet. If it starts to pull spray more on.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used one once but i was more impressed with Mequires scratch X2.0 comes in a black bottle and i use it to buff out my pain and it looked new and felt smooth afterwards added two coats of wax when i was done and was slick.

We did the same on my buddies vivid black ultra that he never wash's and it looked new when we were done.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
DFWNIGHTSTALKER
Intermediate

Im a big fan of the clay bar. Use the spray bottle that comes in the kit. Works like a charm, very smooth finish, then use a cleaner wax and then carnuba wax. works on my mustang well and I have dark highland green paint that is 9 years old. looks close to new when im done.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
beastie
Cruiser

I like the Mother's clay bar but I prefer to use the blue Clay Magic bar. Performance is the same but the Mother's gets packaged with a cleaner wax which I don't use and sold at a higher price. Clay Magic can be used with car wash suds as lube so I don't skimp on lube. I also pinch off only enough clay to make a 3 inch disc. Don't use the whole claybar. If you drop the disc, throw it away and pinch off more clay. Ice Clay liquid bar does not approach the performance of a real claybar.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Jim D.
6th Gear

Originally Posted by beastie
I like the Mother's clay bar but I prefer to use the blue Clay Magic bar. Performance is the same but the Mother's gets packaged with a cleaner wax which I don't use and sold at a higher price. Clay Magic can be used with car wash suds as lube so I don't skimp on lube. I also pinch off only enough clay to make a 3 inch disc. Don't use the whole claybar. If you drop the disc, throw it away and pinch off more clay. Ice Clay liquid bar does not approach the performance of a real claybar.
Actually, Mothers now comes without the cleaner wax (which is nice because I use FX SynWax anyway) and with two full-size bars, lubricant and a towel -- and it's usually a buck less than what else is on the shelf.

Soap can degrade the clay, by the way, so it's not good to use as a substitute for the lubricant.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 AM
mickymoto
Tourer

+1 on tearing off a bit & flattening it out, but i'd only use that peice a couple of times...remember that it is taking off contaniments from your paint, & IMO, chuck it out after a couple of times. + keep a good coat of wax on your paintwork & you shouldn't need to worry about using it...nxt 2.0 wax is so easy to use after each wash, not nessasary I know, but what the hell..it can't hurt

Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Buckskincolt
Cruiser

It depends on what you are trying to do. The advice is perfect for tear off a chunk and flatten, use lots of lube and if you drop it throw it away period. Clay does not remove scratches it removes impurities like road tar, pitch and other grim that works it's way into your paint. If you are trying to restore paint or fix scratches thats a totally different animal.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
beastie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jim D.
Soap can degrade the clay, by the way, so it's not good to use as a substitute for the lubricant.
The reason I use Clay Magic is because it works as good as Mother's but it will not disintegrate when used with car wash soap as a lube. One of the rules for better claying is using lots of lube and you won't skimp if using wash soap.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
The Whale
Cruiser

Used the Mothers kit (clay and lubricant) on my 2004 truck a few months ago that had never been waxed. Worked like a champ.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wish I would have seen this thread before starting another thread about Clay bars! Gotta use that search feature more often.