Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

matte Black cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 AM
mv70
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just window cleaner, water and microfiber cloths

Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

I use a trio of products from Chemical Brothers ..Matte Wash, Sealant and Detailer. The Sealant and Detailer can be a bit streaky, compared to Windex or the HD Denim Cleaner, but I liked the idea of UV protection.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Hotrod14
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD Denim cleaner is ok but I prefer Simple Green. Gets the tough stuff off and leaves it streak free as long as it's a clean cloth. Just my .02

Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 PM
107 Ridin'
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 15 Street Glider
I use a trio of products from Chemical Brothers ..Matte Wash, Sealant and Detailer. The Sealant and Detailer can be a bit streaky, compared to Windex or the HD Denim Cleaner, but I liked the idea of UV protection.
The Vvivid Detailer has UV protectant in it and is also streak free. It's my impression that matte paint is open to the elements so I would assume that using chemicals like windex etc. could harm the finish in the long run. So I use products specifically that are made for matte paint. But I'm no expert so I guess I'm just being safe.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I recently took possession of a free, unused Harley matte black Stock II helmet. Not being a darkside, flatblack fan, if I polish the thing a few times will that give it a bit of a sheen? However, if I decide not to do that I assume that all the advice above for denim paint would hold true for the helmets also?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:24 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I recently took possession of a free, unused Harley matte black Stock II helmet. Not being a darkside, flatblack fan, if I polish the thing a few times will that give it a bit of a sheen? However, if I decide not to do that I assume that all the advice above for denim paint would hold true for the helmets also?
Yes, anytime you polish or rub a matte finish, it will be come more shiny.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Peej
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

So I am almost 8 months into the charcoal denim and the paint still looks great. I have used Windex or the HD denim product exclusively. I even decided to add some more chrome because the paint is such a no-brainer. The best part is that I no longer obsess over swirl marks!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Bernie Horowitz
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matte Black Paint - Problems

Hello all,

I have read the thread and tried many of the things listed. Here is my situation.

My black matte paint was awesome, but I fear is ruined.

I used Chemical guys Black Matte paint kit: Auto Wash, jet seal matte, and the detailer spray. After washing the bike it looked great. I used the Jet Seal Matte and here is where the problem came up. After using it and waiting a day the paint had blueish streaks all over.

At first I thought I just screwed up and didn't follow the directions but subsequent cleanings fail to remove the blue. It appears that the blue is trapped in the surface of the paint itself. I have tried re-washing, power washing, using windex (non-ammonia), various other black matter cleaners and no matter what the blue never goes away.

Anyone have a suggestion on what I can do? Please don't attack, I used the product on an inconspicous spot first and did not have the problem. Everything appeared great until a few days later when the blue started coming through.

I have reached out to chemical guys but have not heard back from them. Is there something I can use? Any suggestions? I am sure all of you can imagine how frustrating this is.

Thanks

Bernard

Last edited by Bernie Horowitz; 03-05-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM
107 Ridin'
Advanced
Default Chem Brothers jet seal

I will attempt some research on the blueing when I get a chance. But I have heard that their jet seal has had problems like the one your having. Sorry your having this problem. I just stick with their wash and a uv protectant made by renew.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:32 PM
107 Ridin'
Advanced
Default Chem Brothers jet seal

Originally Posted by Bernie Horowitz
Hello all,

I have read the thread and tried many of the things listed. Here is my situation.

My black matte paint was awesome, but I fear is ruined.

I used Chemical guys Black Matte paint kit: Auto Wash, jet seal matte, and the detailer spray. After washing the bike it looked great. I used the Jet Seal Matte and here is where the problem came up. After using it and waiting a day the paint had blueish streaks all over.

At first I thought I just screwed up and didn't follow the directions but subsequent cleanings fail to remove the blue. It appears that the blue is trapped in the surface of the paint itself. I have tried re-washing, power washing, using windex (non-ammonia), various other black matter cleaners and no matter what the blue never goes away.

Anyone have a suggestion on what I can do? Please don't attack, I used the product on an inconspicous spot first and did not have the problem. Everything appeared great until a few days later when the blue started coming through.

I have reached out to chemical guys but have not heard back from them. Is there something I can use? Any suggestions? I am sure all of you can imagine how frustrating this is.

Thanks

Bernard
Dang man, just did some research and it doesn't look good at all. Many, many bad reviews on this stuff leaving streaks just like yours. One guy said he had luck removing the jet seal with a clay bar.

Quick Reply: matte Black cleaning tips