Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Center Cycles Road Captain Fairing install

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just received my LRS 7" light smoke windshield today. I got it installed and it looks great. I'll ride it tomorrow and tell what the difference is.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser

Here is my new windshield from Long Ride Shields. It is a 7" Light Tint Ultra Polycarbonate windshield.

Here's a closer up picture of the LRS.

The difference between riding without any windshield or batwing is substantial. Before without anything the wind would wear me out trying to hold on. Then after I installed the Road Captain batwing fairing, even without the windshield, I didn't feel all the wind hitting my chest as much. Granted, I still had all the wind hitting my face but it was easier to hold on and ride. Now after I installed the LRS windshield, the ride is even more comfortable. I'm still getting a little buffeting on my head but I think that's because I got the 7" tall shield.

What I now notice is the wind coming up from underneath but I think this is normal with any batwing and/or windshield. I had a Memphis Shades on my 01 Sportster 1200C and I had to add their lowers to help stop the wind coming from underneath too. I've seen other posts with other batwings here on the HD Forums and they also have added lower panels. I'm not too concerned with the wind coming from underneath as I've got a couple of ideas that I'm going to try to add lowers on my bike myself.

Now, without having a windshield on the Road Captain Fairing to start with, I had a hard time deciding what height to go with. I thought I had it right as I had my wife hold a tape and I held a laser lever and measured the height to be just under my nose as I was sitting on my bike. After the windshield arrived yesterday I had my wife hold it up in the mounted position and sat on the bike and thought the height was ok. I went ahead and took off the protective film and installed it. Well on the way to work I realized that I should have gone with an 8" tall windshield. I'm looking way over the height of this 7" tall one. This one is ok but I'd rather have just a little taller shield so my eyes are looking just over the top of it. I'm only 5'8" so that might give some of you a place to start with if you get a Road Captain fairing and try to measure for a windshield. Now remember this is on my 03 Low Rider. Other Dyna's might take a different height of windshield due to your own bikes seat height.

My error with the height doesn't take away from the fact that the quality and fit of the Long Ride Shield windshield is great. The light tint looks great too. I might go ahead and order a 8" shield for the winter riding to help keep more cold air off me and use this 7" shield for the summer.

Hope this helps some with questions about the Road Captain fairing and the LRS windshield. Overall I'm very happy with both!!

Last edited by jcgribks; 10-07-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 AM
03Custom883
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great awesome write up

Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 PM
03Custom883
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ordered mine today. Should have it in a month or so. Looking forward. Have you been riding with it? How has it been since you had it with the windshield? Keep us posted when you paint and add the stereo.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

can you tilt the whole assembly forward a bit? it should have that adjustment... i thought my shield needed to be taller too on my Batwing, but i realized i still had adjustment left and it worked out great....

Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser

There is a little bit of adjustment that can be done but not enought to really matter. I already raised the windshield as far up on the mounting bolts that I can and it helped a little. I'm getting more used to it now and will wait to get a taller one for now.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Richmond_Rukus
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC, so I received my dead center fairing for an 05 Low Rider. For the head light. There is supposed to be a connector about 12-18" in from the headlight, but since it goes through the frame I am having trouble locating it through the small access hole on the side. Any trick you have to getting to that connector to extend out the headlight?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:42 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser

I didn't have to do anything to my head light wiring. All's I had to do was un-bolt it from the stock clam shell cover, add in Dead Center's adapter bar that re-located the head light about 1/2" forward. I had enough slack in the factory wiring to move it forward. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what wire you're asking about.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Richmond_Rukus
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, you got it right. I didn't really have any slack. Haven't really spent any time on it so I may be able to pull it out enough to move it. Thanks

Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser

Did you get one with the inner fairing too or just the outer like I did? It will probably be next fall until I can get the inner fairing so I can add a stereo. Even without a stereo I really like the way it blocks the wind. I tried to fit the touring batwing fairing little "wing's" that you can add to the sides but they were too big. We've got some black Plexiglas at work that I'm going to try and make my own "wings" to fit on the sides to help block the wind even more.

Quick Reply: Dead Center Cycles Road Captain Fairing install