Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Dyna model handling better then another?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Howard is a pretty smart guy when it comes to suspension and handling. You might decide not to do what he suggests but I would take his advice seriously.
Did he happen to mention the idea of installing something like the XR1200 forks on an older Dyna or did he just think the '06 and up was the best expedient? I would probably think that but he knows things I definitely do not.

Oh he definitely said that there were plenty options, but they all required buying newer forks or installing inverted ohlins in a custom triple, but that is all REALLY expensive - looking at min 3k probably. But with the factory sport 39mm shocks, there's nothing to do with them. Not even higher rate springs. And that's the problem. I need heaver springs at a bare minimum.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Oh he definitely said that there were plenty options, but they all required buying newer forks or installing inverted ohlins in a custom triple, but that is all REALLY expensive - looking at min 3k probably. But with the factory sport 39mm shocks, there's nothing to do with them. Not even higher rate springs. And that's the problem. I need heaver springs at a bare minimum.

Thanks for the reply. That would be what I would have thought. I was mainly curious because as fate would have it I have a pair of fully adjustable forks from a 1200S Sportster that I have sprung to my weight and a set of stock forks from my XR1200. I could mount the 1200S forks very easily, the ones from the XR would likely be a little more work in that I would have to come up with triple trees, XR trees might work but I don't know. As you said, it could get REALLY expensive.
(but it might be fun)

Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
The key point in your statement is that you didn't notice... it was there..

Yup, ya don't want to come down too hard on the benefits of psychological handling improvements.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

I like the handling of my narrow front end 03 SG. New progressive fork springs and shocks and its a great ride. Rides better then my soft tail ever did. I do like the look of the wide glide better. I ordered two seats from Sick Saddles that should make the ride perfect. I ride pretty aggressive sometimes and only scraped once. I have 13.5" shocks and stock height front end. I love the ride, reminds me of riding my Honda CBX. The 6 cylinder Honda should have been a keeper.

Last edited by Johnnyh14; 12-17-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I'm still looking for my first HD, pretty much narrowed it down to the Dyna line, and am wondering if any models have better handling then others. I've seen some wide glides with narrow front tires, with the fat bob on the other end of it. However the front controls on the FB I don't think lend themselves to better handling, by moving the center of gravity forward. Was planning on a used bike, but if the right deal can be had, a new one may be an option.

I've been riding for years. Currently have a bmw s1000r that I just can't get into. Not sure im keeping it, or trading it if I go new. I know no HD will have the handling of that bike, but I accept that. I still want to enjoy the twistys safely.

Any opinion on this?

Thanks
The Dyna line is the best handling chassis in HD's lineup...yes, even better than a Sporty from the factory. I've owned a Sporty, and 2 Dynas, and rode about every current model HD makes.

Now comparing Dyna models....the Fat Bob is the best handling Dyna, and the best handling bike in HD's entire lineup period. It has the same rake as the Street Bob, and the discontinued Super Glide Custom, but has dual disks in the front, and fat tires.

My FXDC was a great handling bike, but my Fat Bob outhandles it all day long.

However, there are a lot of things you can do to make them even better from a performance standpoint....suspension being #1.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Interesting about the fat Bob. Problem for me is I really don't want forwards. So much so it basically eliminates a FB as an option. It's a shame as I like everything else about it. Mids are a must for me.

I wonder if a larger front wheel/tire can be put on a street Bob? I know second discs can be added...

Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
The Dyna line is the best handling chassis in HD's lineup...yes, even better than a Sporty from the factory. I've owned a Sporty, and 2 Dynas, and rode about every current model HD makes. Now comparing Dyna models....the Fat Bob is the best handling Dyna, and the best handling bike in HD's entire lineup period. It has the same rake as the Street Bob, and the discontinued Super Glide Custom, but has dual disks in the front, and fat tires. My FXDC was a great handling bike, but my Fat Bob outhandles it all day long. However, there are a lot of things you can do to make them even better from a performance standpoint....suspension being #1.
+1 on this. OP, you can always add the mid controls. Don't let that stop you from buying the bike you want. Trust me, it won't be the only mod you'll end up doing. Just possibly the first.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:16 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 141 Posts

I simply added switchback floorboards to my bike and I feel much more comfortable and in control on the bike. Plus got the whole setup for under 200. Found a guy who couldn't stand the boards due to previous injuries

Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 PM
snstiggy
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2009 fatbob came from from the factory with mids. Great bike, it handles better than my 2005 Super Glide.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
+1 on this. OP, you can always add the mid controls. Don't let that stop you from buying the bike you want. Trust me, it won't be the only mod you'll end up doing. Just possibly the first.
Exactly this!

I'm taller, and mids cramp me up way too much.....there are other options:

#1-put some mini floorboards in place of the foot pegs. I put on the Kury mini boards in the farthest back position, which brings my feet back some and allows me to move around a bit.

#2-keep the forwards and install a set of mid control pegs....I did this on my last bike, then you have the best of both worlds. You can pick a set up used on this forum or about anywhere. I see them for sale all of the time.

#3- spend the money & convert the bike to mids...about $500

Even the most expensive option here is way cheaper than converting a Street Bob to dual disks, and/or a fatter front tire. You'll spend more money trying to make a Street Bob handle like a Fat Bob than just switching out the Fat Bob forwards to mids and having it all.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 12-19-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: One Dyna model handling better then another?