Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Had a good day yesterday with the bike. It started with missing and loose bolts, but it got better after that. My buddy came over to help me install the Predator mount I ordered a month ago. (I realized afterwards that I could have done it myself but it was a good learning experience.) I replaced and tightened the bolts connecting the horn T bracket to the engine. Then I checked every bolt on the bike I could get a tool to and not surprisingly found a few others that weren't tightened down.

I took the bike for a spin late in the day and before it would start to wobble at about 65mph and get worse the faster I'd go. But I got it up to 80mph yesterday and no wobble. So the Predator works as advertised.

Also the excessive vibration I originally experienced with this bike is pretty much gone. I don't think it was anything one thing and I don't know that the Predator had any factor in it. It's a combo of tuning the bike, adjusting the shocks, and tightening things down. I'm going to continue improving my bike, of course, but I'm really pleased with the way it's running and handling now.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by TBT3
Had a good day yesterday with the bike. It started with missing and loose bolts, but it got better after that. My buddy came over to help me install the Predator mount I ordered a month ago. (I realized afterwards that I could have done it myself but it was a good learning experience.) I replaced and tightened the bolts connecting the horn T bracket to the engine. Then I checked every bolt on the bike I could get a tool to and not surprisingly found a few others that weren't tightened down.

I took the bike for a spin late in the day and before it would start to wobble at about 65mph and get worse the faster I'd go. But I got it up to 80mph yesterday and no wobble. So the Predator works as advertised.

Also the excessive vibration I originally experienced with this bike is pretty much gone. I don't think it was anything one thing and I don't know that the Predator had any factor in it. It's a combo of tuning the bike, adjusting the shocks, and tightening things down. I'm going to continue improving my bike, of course, but I'm really pleased with the way it's running and handling now.

Great news! I knew you'd be able to do that Predator mount With finding the engine bracket issues you did and getting the new Predator in she'll take on a whole new vibe now; a better one. Nice to hear that wobble is no more... Still running the rear shocks at the #3 preload?

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 05-01-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

removed primary, inner and outer. found out I need a new primary chain tensioner. Bought a hayden m6...now waiting.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Adjusted my odometer number.

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 PM
e11charlie
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Glad you're wearing hearing protection, so many riders don't seem to believe it's necessary but a good set of plugs doesn't diminish the riding experience and can save them from that cumulative hearing loss toll from the wind noise. I've got some custom ear plugs but I also really like the Alpine MotoSafe Race ear plugs; they're very effective at cutting out the wind.

I wonder on your Firebrand Upstarts if you could get some Thunder Torque Inserts in them. The pipe is 2 1/2", depending on how your baffles are positioned some W158's or Q158's along with your baffles in place may tame them just enough. Might be worth checking out or call to DK and talk to Kevin or Dawn and get their opinion.

158 TTI's HERE

Fitment guide HERE

****ing badass. Those are the ones I had seen. Pretty sure I can remove the baffles to be able to get those in easier. Thanks a lot sir.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by e11charlie
****ing badass. Those are the ones I had seen. Pretty sure I can remove the baffles to be able to get those in easier. Thanks a lot sir.
Cool!

I'm running the W158's with baffles removed in my Big Shots Staggered pipes; many people say the BSS's are loud. I don't think it's that they're loud, I think it's that the tone is harsh. It has bright overtones in it and our hearing interprets those bright tones as loud.

With the baffles removed and the W158's in place the tone is a deeper resonance, the bright overtones are gone and perhaps on a dB meter they're not any quieter but they sound quieter to the ear. A very pleasing deep thump to them. It's possible you'll discover the same with your Upstarts as well; with baffles out they take on a much more agreeable deep tone.

A heads-up on the TTI's; your Upstarts have full coverage heat shields, I do believe. Depending on where the hole is for your stock baffles you may find as I did you'll need to notch the heat shields for the TTI's stud and locknut. I cut notches in the heat shields of my BSS's so the heat shields could slide past the stud/locknut, that way I can remove the heat shields and not need to disturb the TTI's. The heat shields on the BSS's cut easily with a Dremel cut off wheel and I filed the edges to smooth them out. Simple job.

This is the W158's in my pipes...

The following users liked this post:
5500 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 PM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Great news! I knew you'd be able to do that Predator mount With finding the engine bracket issues you did and getting the new Predator in she'll take on a whole new vibe now; a better one. Nice to hear that wobble is no more... Still running the rear shocks at the #3 preload?
Yep! I'll adjust to 5 when riding 2up, but 3 is handling really well for me riding solo.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:37 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts

5...3...that's all well and good, but...

Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did I do to my Dyna today?

1. Disassemble the primary
2. Tighten the tranmission shifter arm to eliminate freeplay.

Hopefully bike will shift normally now. Fingers crossed!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I went to the hardware store and found what I needed, then test fit the right mirror. Everything seems to be working out fine now. Good to go!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?