Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Where to start... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1021929-where-to-start.html)

09dynafxd 01-20-2015 06:11 PM

Where to start...

Ok so I went on a spending spree and purchased a set of V&H short shots, stage 1 intake, and a power vision from fuel moto.

I then ordered a set of burly narrow apes (14in) with their cable setup, Arlen Ness rubber knurled grips.

Then I went to dk and got a tank lit (2inch)

Now that I have all these items to install I'm thinking my best route of attack is to pull the tank off, battery cover (wwant to plasti dip the silver strip) pull the battery, and box, left cover to access my plug for the power vision, get all the exhaust, and power vision squared away, then do the bars, cables, grips, then intake and finish it off with the tank lift last.

Anyone have any tips as far as making this as painless as possible?

OldEnuf2NoBtr 01-20-2015 06:28 PM

Unhook the ground(-) side of the battery first. Other than that, get after it! Working on your own bike is a learning process that everyone goes through. Trial and error is a great motivator! Have fun, Spring is only 60 days away!

monster715 01-20-2015 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 09dynafxd (Post 13616643)
Ok so I went on a spending spree and purchased a set of V&H short shots, stage 1 intake, and a power vision from fuel moto.

I then ordered a set of burly narrow apes (14in) with their cable setup, Arlen Ness rubber knurled grips.

Then I went to dk and got a tank lit (2inch)

Now that I have all these items to install I'm thinking my best route of attack is to pull the tank off, battery cover (wwant to plasti dip the silver strip) pull the battery, and box, left cover to access my plug for the power vision, get all the exhaust, and power vision squared away, then do the bars, cables, grips, then intake and finish it off with the tank lift last.

Anyone have any tips as far as making this as painless as possible?

Save yourself some trouble and just unbolt then tank and slide it back. Just disconnect the neg cable, leave battery and box in the bike. Don't do your exhaust til the new clutch cable is on and screwed into the release cover. Get everything done up top before moving to installing the intake and exhaust. Don't forget poly bushing with the taller bars

09dynafxd 01-20-2015 08:02 PM

I broke my vow last year to not turn a wrench on this thing since I payed as much as I did. I already pulled the tank which wasn't bad, I forgot all about bushings when I pushed my order through so I'll pick some up tomorrow when I grab my exhaust gaskets from the dealer.

fxdc_9613 01-21-2015 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by monster715 (Post 13616717)
Save yourself some trouble and just unbolt then tank and slide it back. Just disconnect the neg cable, leave battery and box in the bike. Don't do your exhaust til the new clutch cable is on and screwed into the release cover. Get everything done up top before moving to installing the intake and exhaust. Don't forget poly bushing with the taller bars

+1
definitely tackle the entire handlebar project before doing the performance upgrades. and don't remove the tank...it's just an unnecessary hassle.
save the tank lift for last.

HarleyDynaWide 01-21-2015 04:40 PM

Relocate your front turn signals to your forks while you're at it. If you haven't already.